1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Kaywoodie Freehand

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

A local B&M is having a Kaywoodie "promo" shortly and one of if not THE big guy from KW will be there. Supposedly all KW items discounted as well and KW Freehands will be there in #'s. I've had experience with KW (but not the freehands). My dad used to smoke 'em. I smoke 'em (often times for dad). Will probably leave a nice KW and some Carter Hall on his grave stone at Arlington one of these visits. Anyway, I know the KW Freehands don't have the "stinger" many associate with KW and many hate about 'em. Just a push-in mortise-tenon operation. I've seen pictures of them but have not examined any in person. My question is, would it be worth my time to cruise on down for the show? Anybody with KW Freehand experience here? I'm sort of planning on going but haven't marked it on the calendar "to go". I guess I can always do the "veni vinci videre" approach (I came, I saw, I left). For now, it's a "tentative" plan to go, see, buy/not........at least I'll have the experience and meet some pipers.

Thanks!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

There is a hairy guy from the plains who can give you a little insight on them.

3. Puff The Magic

anxiously awaitin' input from the "Yeti of the Plains", yoooo hoooo......

I've seen a few pics and they look like I'd be interested. KW supposedly is past its "hay day" but they still make outstanding pipes in the $30-50 range new. I'd imagine these will have a fairly steep price on them but we all know that you get what you pay for but to find something that's a great smoker, easy on the hand and clench, ease of maintenance, and priced right, I just may end up picking one up if it "fits". Only problem with "Freehands" in general, is that one hand is usually not free! It's tied up with holding them since a good many of them are 4oz+ and not that clench friendly.....

:startle:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Kaywoodie's current handmade pipes are generally very good pipes, if you can get into certain aspects of them. The briar is good, and the draw is nice and open. I'm not hugely fond of how they cut their stems - the button can be very small, and given that the pipes are almost all XL in nature, this makes for an unclenchable combination.

They smoke really well. I wasn't thrilled with the slightly oily taste I got off mine for the first.... 10 smokes or so, but it wasn't hugely offensive or anything.

So I'd say if you see something you really like, check the drilling in the bowl, and make sure the stem is a good "match" for the pipe - a 1/2 oz bulldog needs a different treatment than a 3 oz jumbo freehand, imho. If it seems like a good pipe, it will be.

I bought a very beautiful Kaywoodie recently, a very pretty sandblast with great lines, but didn't keep it because it simply wouldn't sit in my mouth comfortably, and while I could have made a new stem for it, that sort of process sours me on a pipe. I hope the next owner loves it.

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I'm currently lusting for a Kaywoodie Freehand for the collection. I wouldn't miss the opportunity.

6. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Ok Puff i have a Kaywoodie freehand and i love it, it smokes just as good as my petes stanwells or sav's. And like yoou were saying no it does not use the stinger the regular line use. It has a very efortless draw on it and i had no after taste on mine, from smoke 1 it has been a awesome pipe. And it has a big bowl on it i smoke it slow enough i can damn near make it last close to 2 hours, just depending how i smoke it. All in all if i had the chance to go to that i would in a heartbeat i will have another kaywoodie freehand before i stop collecting, which will be never but anyway, great smoke, dosent get too hot, no wierd after taste, and no stinger. In my humble opinion you should try it out!

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The kaywoodies freehands are made by an american maker . The mouthpiece is supplied by kaywoodie . The briar is oiled cured which I like cause they color out a bit in about ten smokes . They are quality briar pipes and it would be worth your time to check them out

8. Puff The Magic

Thanks for the input guyz! Well, it looks like I'll be putting it on the calendar to go and see............and probably buy sumpin'. Besides, it's at a local B&M that I frequent at least weekly so it's somewhat one of my routine stops but not normally on a Saturday. If anyone is in the Baltimore area and have Sat Aug 3 available, it's at Fader's of Catonsville, I believe noon to 6pm. I'll double check the flyer and re-verify.

All advice given so far is greatly appreciated. Thank You for heppin' me spend my dead-prezis guyz! :velho: If my wife asks about the new wood, I'll just have to blame you all! :groucho:

I'll post on this thread my "spoils" of the KW Freehand "War".

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Dude , if yer wife says anything about the new wood .... it aint me :groucho: anyway , they're nice pipes man and it sounds like a killer get together going on at your B&M so thats the coolest of all

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Since I don't own any Kaywoodies, can someone enlighten me on
    the term "stinger"? Thanks.

dp

11. Puff The Magic

The "stinger" is somewhat of a filter. It prevents pieces of toby from going up the stem, and it's also a moisture collector. It in conjunction with Kaywoodie's construction allows you to dismantle the pipe (even while warm) and blow out the moisture collected. You can't send a pipe cleaner down the stem into the bowl or near it, the stinger blocks it. It has changed in design over the years (don't know when it did) but I prefer the older style vs. the current.

I have a "bobbed stinger" that I did myself and it smokes very well. I can send a pipe cleaner down if needed to, or I can do the "blow out" as well. I usually take the "plumbing" out of pipes. To me, the KW stinger is just a gadget that looks good in theory and on paper but in application, it fails miserably. IMHO.

Another good example of a "useless" stinger/plumbing is Tsuge. Their teeny tiny stinger almost forces the pipe to gurgle. I took it out and it smokes way better.

:groucho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

My only two cents on new Kws - I had an 06 or 07 POY (whatever year the dublin was) the thing was massive, size and weight wise. It was well made, smoked well, but could not be clenched for more than 30 seconds without your jaw going numb from the weight of it. I passed it along in a box pass, hopefully the new owner sits in a chair with his pipe in his hand most of the time.

13. Puff The Magic

That's the problem with many freehands, you only have one free hand! The other hand is holding onto the pipe cause it gets old clenching a brick! :groucho:

:cheers:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

To be honest I would just go for the fun of it. See some pipes, smoke a bowl, meet some people and go. I wish they had pipe event at the shops down here.

15. Puff The Magic

My BAD, the Date is August 7th and 11am - 6pm.

I plan on going with no intention of buying unless..............well, you know! :whistle: I own several KW's, nothing fancy, mainly standards/flames/one vintage '60's. For the pricepoint, they're hard to beat (unless yer tawkin' cob-pricing........then I'll stack a Hackert cob against any KW! But that's just me).

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.