1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Kaywoodie help

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BigJ, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Ive got a pair of estate kaywoodies whose stems dont screw in straight. Any suggestions on how to fix them. I was thinking of just pitting a washer or two in between the stem and shank. Any help appreciated.

2. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

First off, they are made to be just a little to the left of full center to allow for wear (that's what I hear anyway. stupid idea). Most of mine look that way. That said, I have a Kaywoodie with a stem that looks like the correct stem for the pipe, but clearly is not because it's so dang far off.
    Point being that maybe they aren't the correct stems?

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Washer. :th1:

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I have successfully fixed some of my pipes with that problem but I would hesitate to recommend how I did it. I warmed the aluminum insert over a candle flame so it temporarily loosened in the stem and gently turned it with a pair of pliers until it aligned properly. As the insert cools it locks into place. If the process isn't done carefully and correctly it can really screw up the pipe. As Sas said, if the washer works.....

5. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Brilliant! Didn't even need to heat em up. Thanks for the tip. It almost seemed too easy, i probably screwed em up in thelong run. Lol

6. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Member

I have some experience in this, if you were able to move the stringer without heating it you might have hurt the pipe slightly. Warm it up as defined in Arkie's post and then let is cool (set). That should firm up the connection and will make it tight again.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yup , get it to turn and problem solved . Sometimes they dont want to budge ... then I get the sledgehammer out [ lol ]

8. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Member

HAHA, this reminds me of the time I left a 1950's era Flame Grain in a backpack for five minutes. <CRUSHED STEM>!!!!

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

UG ! I cant even say how many I've put in my back pocket and sat on .. snap !

10. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

Awesome! I was contemplating doing that exact thing! Nice to hear that it can work.

11. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Oops. Thanks for the heads up. I'll take care of that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.