1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaywoodie logos and dating

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TXPiper, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

Hey guys,

I have owned a couple Kaywoodies and just purchased two more on eBay. I've noticed that they have different logos. I have a 32C with a white clover on the side of the shank, a white briar campus with a black clover in a white circle also on the side. And I recently picked up two 80B models on eBay both with white clovers, but one is on the top of the stem, and the other is on the side.

Any idea if the logo corresponds to the date? Or something else?

2. furious

furious Junque collector

Yes, from what I can recall, if the clover is on the top of the stem, it denotes an older pipe (pre-1955). Also, the nomenclature on the side of an older pipe will always start with the type (Drinkless, Super Grain, Flame Grain, etc.) over the word Kaywoodie and not the other way around, which denotes a post '55 pipe. I'm sure others will chime in with more detailed info. Can say this though: all of the pre-55 Kaywoodies that I owe smoke very well--esp. the Flame Grains.

3. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Preacher1611 likes this.
  4. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Thanks Nick, I'm totally saving that link in my favs! Question for anybody: according to the link Nick provided my Kaywoodie White Briar is a Bulldog shape, I never would have thought so by the look of it, what do ya'll think?
    [​IMG]

5. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

looks like a bulldog with a round shank to me.

6. Preacher1611

It's funny, until it was pointed out to me in the link I just considered it a squat straight pipe. It looks a lot like my Dr. Grabow Grand Duke, (which is why I bought it), after looking at it for a bit last night I guess it really is a bulldog shape. It's not as pronounced as most but it definately has the characteristics of one.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've been looking for that shape Kaywoodie [ 50 s or b ] in a Flame grain or Meer Lined for a good while . Thats the " perfect shape pipe " to me . I've gota Marxman of about the same shape that my wife bagged for me

[​IMG]

Pipes with the clover in the shank are old and sought after

[​IMG]

Preacher1611 likes this.
  8. Preacher1611

My White Briar 50b was the first pipe I bought from ebay, got it last year. I really like it and would totally get another one. Even the stinger isn't bad, it smokes a bit wet but I'm getting used to smoking it slower than my other pipes. It's actually helped my over-all smoking technique.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The 50b is killer ! Man , the point you just made about the stinger .... makes Kaywoodies even better . I can see the ad now ........ " Having trouble smoking a pipe ... try a Kaywoodie . The stinger will show you how it's done . It's been done this way for a hundred years .... Kaywoodie " lol . I own and have owned a number of Kaywoodies in my life so far . The stinger has only been a drag in two of them . They are great pipes ! I have an old Kaywoodie that I'm working on that I havent shown here before .. been keeping it low key till I get it ready . I think you'll really like it . It's super rare and very cool and I think I'm almost there w/ it .

FlatbushPaul and Preacher1611 like this.
  10. Preacher1611

Can't wait to see it!

11. furious

furious Junque collector

An interesting fact about Flame Grain Kaywoodie: As many know, they generally retailed for $10 in the late 30s and 40s, which was good money back then. That would be equivalent to about $150 in 2012.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  12. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

So I finally got the two pipes in. One of them has "SuperGrain" stamped above "Kaywoodie" like you mentioned, but the clover is on the side of the stem, not the top. Also, there is "80B" stamped on the opposite side, but no mention of "imported briar". Finally, it has "Drinkless" stamped on the stinger itself, which is a 4 hole stinger.

From everything I can tell online, these are the distinguishing characteristics that can be dated:
    Based on this, I would assume I have a 40s era pipe, but any insight would be appreciated.

13. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

here are pics of what I was talking about:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. furious

furious Junque collector

I believe that the 4-hole stinger was phased out during WWII, so I would say that your pipe is definitely on the early side. The clover thing is not an absolute as I have seen many, many instances of variation over the years at pipe shows, etc. Drinkless on the stinger also indicates an earlier pipe (pre-WWII). Great pick up!!

15. furious

furious Junque collector

Plus, I think that most Super Grains had the elongated clover on the side anyway. The Flame Grains were on the top, generally.

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Look here also, they have a Kaywoodie forum for all things Kaywoodie and Kaywoodie collectors: http://grayfoxonline.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.