1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaywoodie White Briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Atom, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atom

Atom Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Are Kaywoodie White Briar pipes more of a novelty, or is there an advantage to the white briar treatment?

I read somewhere that the briar was painted white to hide the inferior quality or grain, and that the briar was more of a leftover and something had to be made instead of letting it go to waste. Or is it more of a way to give U.S. customers the look of meerschaum without having the issues of carving/shipping/importing?

Does anyone have a Kaywoodie White Briar? Is there anything different or unique to its qualities?
  2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    I dont have a Kaywoodie, but I do have a "white briar" pipe of sorts. It looks like a meer...even comes with the yellow stem. But up close, you realize that its painted white. It smokes ok. Its big. I used to use it for yard work, but now have it dedicated to lakeland blends...

In conclusion, I have nothing really to add to you query...sorry :D
    Skrymr likes this.
  3. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I have 1 whitebriar smokes ok,but i have a lot more grabow colorduke/viscounts.The grain had to be perfect in order to paint the pipes.
  4. will

will Member

Jul 15, 2012
    I too have wondered if the briar on these pipes were flawed somehow.
    Of the 4 I own they are excellent smokers.
    If I get clunker I would like to strip it and check them out paintless.
    Would love to hear some others opinions of these pipes and also does anyone know when these were first made?
  5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    I've always thought of getting one. They're on the list... maybe one day:bing:
  6. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

Sep 12, 2012
    They are very cool looking. Not sure about the smoking
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.