1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaywoodies in columbus - on the hunt

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So I live in the Columbus area in Ohio.

I'm interested in getting a Kaywoodie pipe. Especially since they're relatively inexpensive to begin with, I'd prefer to buy new rather than used. I don't use ebay, and I would prefer to buy locally.

If all else fails, I'm considering ordering from Lil Brown Smoke Shack because they have two styles in stock that I like the looks of which I'm having trouble finding elsewhere.

That said, I'm having a hard time finding anybody that even carries Kaywoodie in the area. Smokers' Haven lists a Kaywoodie handmade on their website, but it's far out of my current budget and not what I'm looking for anyhow. Pipes and Pleasures does not carry them to my knowledge and has pretty high prices anyway. I just gave the Tinderbox at Easton a call and they told me they have none.

I've looked in a Walgreens and at a CVS - they both have some Dr Grabow's, and CVS also has a MM, but I'm specifically looking for Kaywoodie if I can find it. A carryout nearby has some MM, too, but that's the only pipe brand they carry. A shop on Cleveland Avenue which has somewhat recently been purchased by House of Cigar has a VERY respectable offering of cigars, but when it comes to pipes...I'd rather go to CVS and get the Dr Grabow. They sell Haojue pipes with metal interiors....near the blunt wraps and rolling papers. They sell some Sutliff and drugstore blends so they seem to have some intent to be offering something to actual pipe smokers, except in the way of smokeable pipes. The clerk knew nothing about the pipes they had when I asked, but I was able to remember the name on the box well enough to look it up online.

After these resources have been exhausted, I'm really not sure where to turn to look for a Kaywoodie locally. I'd rather a) support a local business and b) get the satisfaction of being able to smoke the pipe immediately and NOT pay for s/h for an economy pipe, but I simply cannot find one around here.

I know there are a few people here who either live in or near Columbus, or are familiar with the area. Do any of you happen to know where one could purchase a Kaywoodie here?

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Instant gratification is a pisser ain't it? I suggest just getting over it, you'll live longer.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It's a combination of that and frugality. I don't have enough for a large order and don't want to pay shipping and handling on a cheap pipe.

But I may need to suck it up and pay Lil Brown their five bucks...oh well, I suppose the price I'd get on the pipe from them is likely to be about five bucks less than in a B&M anyway most likely...:oops:

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I meant get over the need for instant gratification not spend extra money.

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is I'd like to try out a Kaywoodie pipe. I'm considering buying one from lilbrown. I'd prefer buying one in person.

I'm not stressing out over it, I'd just like to be able to take a look at it first as well as (hopefully) support a local business. Getting it right away would be an added bonus.

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

There's probably some run-down old drugstore on the South or West Side that still has their stock from the 50's. :) Try some of the antique stores in the Short North, there are quite a number of odd treasures to be had in such places (don't overlook the lighters!).

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well, PAD got the better of me. Couldn't find a Kaywoodie, but I visited a shop I'd not been to before near Sawmill Road. They had virtually no pipes - apparently there's another location somewhere I've not been with a bunch of them on hand, but this shop had a few Ben Wades, a few Petersons, a couple of Country Gentlemen, a few ghastly looking basket pipes, and a couple estates. For 45 bucks I picked up a GBD billiard/Canadian.

I immediately got online when I got home and found out all I could about it. It's a "Prehistoric" line. I don't know if they still make this model, but it had a very long run. I found a flier on pipepages which advertised it in 1961. According to the accompanying shape chart, this is probably a 1451. According to further information I found, it's made before the Comoy merger, as it has "Made in England" stamped on it in a horizontal line on the bottom, whereas post-merger GBDs displayed the information differently. So as far as I know, the range of dates when it was potentially made are anywhere from at least as early as 1961 to as late as 1980 (the merger took place in 1981)

I don't believe this line ever came with a band, so it's probably a repair. There is a very tiny hairline crack on the bottom of the shank, but it appears extremely shallow. The stem is quite worn, but I've cleaned much of the oxidation off and oiled it. I will have a soft bit in a few days to further protect the stem, as it appears quite worn on the underside. The airway isn't breached, but it is visible where it runs for a small part of the stem - I assume from overzealous buffing. The chamber is in great shape - no spiderwebbing, well reamed but very slightly scraped in the bottom apparently from reaming. No major damage. The drilling appears flawless. A cleaner passes with tremendous ease through the thing without a single snag, comes out dead center and right at the bottom. The draft does not enter below the chamber, but neither does the cleaner have any space below it. It just sits there perfectly at the bottom center when it enters the bowl. The stamping is slightly worn, as is the sandblast. The band needs to be polished.

All things considered, it is a fairly old pipe and it seems to have been very well loved and fairly well maintained. I used a bunch of regular cleaners, a couple of bristle cleaners, a shank brush and some alcohol to thoroughly finish the cleaning and to sanitize the stem. I'll give it a test run tomorrow. I have every reason to believe that this will be a champion smoker due to the age and make of it, the fact that it was obviously heavily used, the condition it appears to be in, and how well it appears to have been constructed. And once I fix up the stem a little more and get that soft bit on there to protect the underside, and once I polish up the band, this should be a really sharp looking pipe as well!

Okay, so that's it. I have plenty of pipes for a while now, my collection is big enough to last me for a time. I'm excited to see how this performs though. But yeah, at least until after Christmas, I'm ready for pipe-related purchases to start building a proper cellar rather than simply getting a tin or two here and there to have open all at once.

Oh, I almost forgot!

[​IMG]

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice pipe, congrats!

9. Scottly

Scottly Member

For future Kaywoodie PAD, WVSmoke has a full line of Woodies, and very reasonable shipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.