1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaywoodies

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bent, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

Can you tell me anything about the stems of the new kaywoodies? cheap flimsy plastic like grabows?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

The POY's?

3. Bent

Bent Member

In general. I saw some saxons and red roots on the wvsmokeshop site with some interesting shapes. The problem is that every grabow I've had comes with real crummy mouthpieces and they always break somehow. If the mouthpiece/stem of the kaywoodie is the same crummy thin plastic then I'd have to skip them.

4. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Why would you assume that Kaywoodie is the same as Dr Grabow?

My Saxons came with vulcanite stems. If you had Googled Kaywoodie Pipes, you would have been directed to S. M. Frank Co. website where they state "rubber push bits". This is somewhat dated as now rubber stems are more properly called vulcanite.

5. Bent

Bent Member

I don't mean to say they are the same, but there is a steep decline in quality in American factory pipes so I wanted to know before getting a kaywoodie

Now, you say your saxons are vulcanite, are they the newer ones? or do you have older estates?

6. Jay

Jay Active Member

My last Kaywoodie had a vulcanite stem. I bought one for a friend and it was the same. That was 6 months ago. The only Doc G that had a crappy stem was a small Duke that I got form somwhere, my other has a vulcanite stem, but it is a rather old estate.

7. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

My Saxons are about a year old. I don't like filter pipes so I can't say about Dr G's.

8. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

All my Kaywoodies, (new and old), have vulcanite stems. The ones I constantly stare at in my B&M wishing I had money to buy also have vulcanite stems. I love Kaywoodie pipes, maybe someday I'll be able to afford some $200 or $300 pipe and find out that they really are better but until then I'll continue buying Kaywoodies. ;)

Motard, TRAVIS and dgerwin11 like this.
  9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Look at the KWs that Park Lane sells.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  10. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Except the one I got off ebay, that's where all my KW's came from. ;)

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Kaywoodie pipes are far and away the best value for the money . The regular woodies [ Standard , Saxon , Red Root , Drinkless , Relief Grain , Campus , Ruff Tone and Super Grain ] cost around 22-27 bucks . The " higher " priced Woodies [ Gold , Sterling , Supreme , Prima , elegante , Sabbitata , Choice , Elite, Burl cut , Majestic and Connoisseur ] are 30 to 70 bucks . The Handmades are made by an American Maker and they are stellar smokes of high quality [ 150 bucks +-] .The POY are very good quality also . Gray fox sometimes has special reissue Woodies . I own more Kaywoodie than anything else and over the years I've had tons . They are made in America [ Tampa , Fl ] out of , if I'm remembering right , Sardinian Briar . Grabows are ok ... theyre lacqured and you can see sanding marks . Kaywoodies are a step [ or 3 ] up . I snagged a Kaywoodie Relief Grain just the other day [ like I needed another ] and it's a killer billiard ;) I have a hard time spending more on a pipe than what Kaywoodie costs . I'm a big fan of the Relief Grain and Saxon . I mean , who else can you buy a really good smoking pipe for 24 bucks ... that looks good as well ... nobody .

Bent and Preacher1611 like this.
  12. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Kaywoodie has always made a good pipe. Back in the 40's and 50's their best quality was comparable with Dunhill and they were priced accordingly. I've never been a fan of the screw in stem so I like the modern push stem models. I have a Majestic and a Saxon that have vulcanite stems and a Gold which has a lucite stem.

13. Bent

Bent Member

Thank you all for the responses. I went ahead and ordered a Saxon and a Reed Root and will post my impressions after I break them in

ruffinogold and Preacher1611 like this.
  14. furious

furious Junque collector

I have two early Flame Grains (billiard and oom paul) and they are both excellent smokers! Of course, they were the cream of the crop back in the late 30s and 40s and were reportedly made from 100+ year old briar.

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You got two new pipes and it didnt kill ya too bad ! Good deal :th1:

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Dr. Grabow uses ABS plastic for their stems, at least on my Omega pipes and to me they feel about the same as acrylic. No complaints here, I prefer this over cheap vulcanite stems any day.

17. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I'm glad I found this thread-I was about to ask about a late 60's kaywoodie stem. My 33 relief grain had a chewed up oxidized nasty stem that was unworthy of repair, so I've been retrofitting a vulcanite saddle stem. The unsmoked '68-9 22 silhouette in my collection still has a nice stem, I'm glad I won't need to swap it to vulcanite. I'm not a big fan of plastic stems, but love screw tenons.

18. Bent

Bent Member

Thanks for reviving this thread, I meant to post my impressions and, as you can see, I forgot.

Well, the new ones are a great value, I can't believe how well they smoke. The Saxon is my favorite.

I started collecting estates a little while back and, I have to say, the older Kaywoodies are better made. They generally have better grain, less pits, and they use good vulcanite.

Raffxr7 and Preacher1611 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.