Keeping that Navy flake lit - help!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MakDragon, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I posted about MacBarren's Navy flake and how to put it in my pipe and all has worked very well thanks to the advice I have received here. Problem is I am having a bit of trouble keeping it lit for any noticeable time. I know it's all about the ritual and all but is there something I am missing? Also, do you folks tamp as much with the flake as loose toby? Thanks!

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

How are you preparing your flake? and do not pack or tap to tight.

3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I used the method described on MacBarrens site. Folding it in half and then placing the bottome rounded end into the bowl. Then gently press the rest into the bowl. I didnt have any draw problems. Just didnt seem to want to stay lit. And it's such a nice tobacco, but more work than my normal English blends.

4. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

You need some tinder on top. Take a very small piece and rub it out. Then sprinkle it on top, that'll not only help start it, but keep it going.

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Much obliged!!! Will try it at lunch!

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

I prefer my flake tobaccos broken up not rubbed out, try that or rub it out some.

7. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Moisture is also an issue with some flakes. On a newly opened tin I usually load my pipe 4 - 8 hours before I plan on smoking. After a few days open the tobacco dries up enough not to make this a necessity.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

+1...Kind of bridges the gap between the pros and cons of smoking whole flake and rubbed out. Most blends, most days, I palm mangle into a little rat's nest, just enough that the flake 'shards' start to get a bit hairy, soft, what have you. It's still broken flake, not ribbon like, but the little rubbing on the outer strands are what makes for a quicker lighting and more complete burn. This is what I do with almost all flake tobacco, with Penzance, Escudo and Dark Star being exceptions.

I'm sure this isn't the most technical description available, but I think you can catch my drift.

9. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Interesting! I shall try this as well. Makes a lot of sense especially in light of the fact that it is a brand new tin. THanks!

10. Redone

Redone Member

Yeah, I tied the McB fold and stuff and it worked...kind of. I now just cut it to size and fold and rub that out in my fingertips some then put it in the pipe. You dont want to tamp flake, it expands allot...trust me.

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

While MacB Navy Flake is one of the most forgiving when it comes to fold'n'stuff it can still be problematic keeping a fold'n'stuffed pipe lit. If the fold'n'stuff method is a problem with a flake (any flake), start by rubbing the tobacco out well to get acquainted; after a few bowls you'll find success and better understand the burn-, expansion- and moisture character of the flake. Thereafter, ease on in to partially rubbed, then folded, fills. It's a process.

GlassSculptor likes this.
  12. Marc

Marc Active Member

Well said Mr. Moo, it is indeed a process.

13. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I firmly believe that you can only fold and stuff in a pipe that accomodates such methods. You have a bowl that is too wide and squat and that method just wont fly.

Mister Moo likes this.
  14. Marc

Marc Active Member

In my opinion, billiards work the best for this method of smoking a fold and stuff flake tobacco (3/4" chamber x 1 1/2" tall).

15. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

AH! This explains why getting the remnants of the unsmoked toby is so dificult to get out of the bottom of the bowl! Thank you!

16. expatpipe

expatpipe Member

great advice - i almost drove myself to frustration trying to fold and stuff. rubbing out some seems to give a newb like me the chance to get a feeling for the thing.

paul

17. Redone

Redone Member

The way i look at it its just tobacco but it comes in a shape that you can customize yourself. Rub, roll, fold, cut..whatever. But its still toby and it needs to get into a pipe and smoked. There is no law or against doing it your way..or is there Mister. Moo?

18. Mister Moo

As a new golfer a pal who hits 500 golf balls into a net each Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, plays nine holes each Wednesday and 72-holes every weekend advised me, "It's easy. You just relax, grip the club firmly but gently, keep your head down, your eye on the ball, your right elbow tight to the body, knees bent, weight on your right foot during upswing and rip the clubhead smoothly and powerfully through the ball's center in a nearly perfect circular arc with power from your left arm while transferring weight to your left foot. Pretend you are a giant, balanced spring wound tightly and then unwind. Conclude with a graceful follow through. Voila - the little ball will sail high, 425 yards straight ahead." Sounded simple enough.

I hope he asks me, "Yo. Moo! "How do I smoke flake tobacco to the bottom of the bowl?"

"Just mash 'em into a pipe, commence to puffing and set 'em afire."

Sounds simple enough. Heh heh heh.

19. Mister Moo

20. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

and I'm sure California will soon enact a law for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.