1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Knox pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by SSGpiper, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Has anyone ever heard of a "Knox" pipe? I have an estate that looks pretty good, can't find anything about it. It is stamped "Knox" and "real briar". I will post a pic when I get a chance, but has anyone ever run across a pipe with this stamping?

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Sorry Sarge...not here...

3. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I know I'm shooting in the dark....when you can't find anything at all, chances are it's an individual that carved pipes for himself and either never got to selling them, or sold so few I will have to find one guy living in a cabin in the backwoods of canada to find out who made it....wait, that would be Sas. :thumbsu: What is so strange is this thing is a nice little pipe someone put a lot of work into a partial blast on, so for it to be stamped and no clues anywhere on where it came from is kinda perplexing to me.

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Could possibly be a "Shop" pipe, made for a tobacco shop somewhere...a pipe with the shop name on it. Could be made by anybody....

5. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Yeah, that was on my mind too...was shop in Knoxville people referred to online as the Knox shop when it closed down...so, I'm just inquiring in the forums hoping someone out there is familiar with it. I prefer to know something about the pipes in my collection or that I sell.....I know, I'm obsessed. Between you and Puff, I didn't think a pipe was made you don't know about.. :whistle:

6. telltime

telltime Active Member

O.K. - this is a LONG shot, but could it be a pipe made for a club?

http://www.knoxareapipesmokers.org/

Edited to add:

I looked around this site and withdraw my suggestion. Not sure if the owner is even in the U.S. and if he/she is, their native language is either not English, or their education is limited.

It also looks like a relatively new site.

7. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

That is something I hadn't thought of. This pipe is most likely from the 70's as that is the decade almost all of the pipes from my father-in-laws collection are from. I think I need to search for clubs and shops that were around in that period. I am sure there are people still around that will remember them.

8. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I appreciate any comments, theories or insights anyone offers up.

9. phinz

phinz Active Member

I don't know of any "club" pipes here in Knoxville. We do have a pretty strong club for such a small area, and Knox Cigar Company had a good selection when they were open, but I know of no custom pipes made for the club. I can always ask one of the local B.O.T.B. at the next meeting if you provide a picture.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Ah yes. Pictures..."It didn't happen without..." :whistle:

11. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

LOL...I will get them up, some things today are higher priority - ohno, I actually said something is higher priority than pipes. I have truly reached a new low. :startle:

12. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

13. phinz

phinz Active Member

I seriously doubt it. It looks like a drugstore pipe, probably from Woolworth & Knox or S.H. Knox & Co.

"By 1911, there were six chains of affiliated stores operating in the United States and Canada. That year, Frank and Charles incorporated the F. W. Woolworth Company and through a merger brought all 596 stores together under one corporate entity. One of the "friendly rival" predecessor chains included several stores initially opened as Woolworth & Knox stores starting as early as September 20, 1884 as well as S. H. Knox & Co. 5 & 10 Cent Stores opened after an 1889 buyout by his cousin, Seymour H. Knox I. Knox's chain grew to 98 U.S. and 13 Canada stores by the time of the corporate consolidation in 1911. Fred M. Kirby added 96 stores, Earle Charlton added 35, Charles Sumner Woolworth added 15, and William Moore added 2.[2]"

14. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Thanks for the lead, gives more to research....if that's where this thing came from, makes it a lot older than I thought. I agree it looks like a drugstore pipe....finding out probable histories is fun though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.