lack of "new" blends?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gentimmy, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

I'm an avid cigar enthusiast and I've noticed (especially in the last two years) that new blends and "Limited Editions" are released almost monthly with a large following reporting news and updates along the way. In my short experience with pipe tobacco, I've yet to hear buzz of new blends. Why is this?

2. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Profit probably. It's more beneficial to release these "Special Edition" cigars. Let's say 1 cigar retails for $10. While the same blend for pipes, in a tin is $10. It makes sense to me that if I'm buying a new blend I haven't tried, I'll buy 1 tin. That one tin provides what, an average of 12 smokes? While that 1 cigar will produce no more than 1 smoke. If I like the blend, I might buy 2-3 more tins of it and I can enjoy a lot more smokes, while, if the cigar is enjoyable, chances are you'll have to buy more than 2-3 to enjoy upwards of 30+ smokes :P

Could be a completely different reason, but just thinking out loud here.

3. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

true but that one tin may also weigh 50 grams...not too far from (what I would think, I've never weighed a cigar) a cigar weighs. You would also have to take into account the cost it takes to pay to have cigars produced

4. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Very true, I did think of that as I was thinking out loud, but I'm not very familiar with cigars, are there more, or less options when it comes to pipes, or cigars? I'm thinking cigars have more of a variety, so the manufacturers have to do stuff like that to grab peoples' interest.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

New pipe tobacco blends tend to all come at the same time - around the time of the annual Chicago pipe show in May. It's the perfect time to introduce new stuff because blenders usually give away free samples to showgoers.

Check the websites for McClellands, GL Pease and Cornell & Diehl. Lots of new blends come out each year, and the hype surrounding them is immense.

Dutchking22 likes this.
  6. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Right now the ratio of cigar smoker to pipe smokers is probably around 5:1 to 10:1 it just makes sense that there would be more new offerings every month in cigars just based on the total volume of the business.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Marketing, marketing and more marketing in the cigar industry. I've smoked cigars for 30+ years, was in the business for 5 years during the boom, and still have friends in the industry, and it's all about getting smokers to buy more sticks. A great many of the large factories produce cigars for dozens of brands, not just their own, and if they have a surplus of a certain leaf, presto!, a "New and Exciting" blend is born. The internet companies like Cigar.com and JRCigar have outstanding marketing efforts, continually offering the latest and greatest. It may be a great cigar, but then again it may be crap, but it's "New", and usually expensive, so smokers will buy them.

9. dmkerr

Thanks for this. I wanted to say it but decided not to. I'm glad you did!

Pipe tobacco is guilty of this to a much lesser degree, and I'm sure that most products do something similar. But my foray into the cigar business made me not so good at the retail side of the business. In the late 1980's - early 1990's, it took very little to convince smokers that a new "limited edition" stick was worth twice the normal production run. Sometimes they got their money's worth.

10. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

Gotta agree with SmokeyJoe, there is much less "New and Exciting" coming from the cigar industry then they would lead you to believe. In fact, once you really start paying attention to the regions that most cigar toby is grown, many differences start to vanish. I would add too that the "smokership" is a much smaller group of people too so it's probably not financially sound to do the "media blitz" type thing with pipe tobacco. As I'm learning just starting out with pipes, MOST of these guys know what they want and don't care for gimmicks...

Now once you get to Cuba - all bets are off, I've smoked some dog rockets from Cuba but I've also smoked some absolutely wonderful stogies...this is all IMHO of course...

11. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

I discover new pipe blends from looking at the new tobaccos page on tobaccoreviews website http://tobaccoreviews.com/new_tobaccos.cfm and forums. I think Jack knife plug is the most popular new pipe blend this year

12. dmkerr

If I were to list my Top 10 best smokes, at least 4 of them would be Cuban cigars. And I'm not a cigar person.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm scared to ask what the other six were, so I won't. :)

(Best cigar I ever toked was Cuban, too. I wonder how I would feel about cigars now if Cubans were prolific round here).

I suppose marketing saturation is the more relavent answer, but I believe knowing where to look could also heavily influence an individual's perception of what is out there.

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Don't get me wrong, every business needs to market it's wares, and the 'New and Improved" method is a tried and true business model, so I'm not lambasting the cigar industry for using it, and in the target market of upwardly mobile 30-something males it's a winner. As for Cubans, yes, I've had a few Cohibas and Montecristos that were sublime. And a lot that were a waste of the high dollars needed to buy them on the blackmarket.

Mike Berger likes this.
  15. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

As for Cubans in the US, it's a bit hard to say anyway...who knows what these things go through getting here...I had a cuban Montecristo that was horrendous...but then, my best smoke of all time(so far) was a cuban Punch Coronation. I was in Bahrain, sitting in a little hotel bar, listening to an Irish jazz singer croon while her hubby played piano, sipping a gin and tonic. Yes that WAS a fantastic smoke...

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  16. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

NICE...
    The last Cubans I smoked were in Greece 2 years ago. A Cohiba and a Romeo y Julieta, and they were less than 10 bucks each. I smoked the R y J on the patio of a seaside home overlooking the Aegean at sunset, the other in Athens, in the Plaka, with the Parthenon glowing under a full moon. Like I said, sublime. About 5 years before that I bought Cubans in London at Harrod's tobacconist and paid a small fortune for them but there was just no stopping me. Both the few I smoked there and the remainder that I smuggled home were the worst cubans ever.

Mike Berger likes this.
  17. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd agree with most of what has been said above regarding the relative numbers of pipe smokers to cigar smokers, and the fact that there are indeed at least some new blends being released pretty regularly. Nonetheless, we pipe smokers are usually more interested in tradition than the latest thing and probably spend more time lamenting the loss or scarcity of a favorite old blend than we do discussing the new kid on the block.

As someone also said, the new blends do tend to come out around the time of the Chicago show, as it's the easiest time to get people to try them. Most of us are hesitant to commit to a tin (10-12 bowls) of something we haven't either tried or heard something about, but it's a cinch to sell one stick to a cigar smoker to sample.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.