1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Lakeland Tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Apr 15, 2011.

?

How do you feel about Lakeland tobaccos?

1. Love them!

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Hate them!

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I could take or leave that stuff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What's Lakeland?

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So I have tried a few GH and SG tobaccos but not many. For some time one of my favorites has been the shag cut blend called Kendal Dark....deep, dark tobacco flavor and quite a nice nicotine kick, and only a very faint whisper of the floral/soapy characteristics often associated with a number of Gawith blends. Enough to suggest a faint similarity to a can of Fribourg & Treyer snuff I once had. That snuff taught me that snuff isn't my thing, but I loved the aroma of it and loved occasionally sprinkling a pinch of it on my pipe or into a hand rolled cigarette.

Yesterday I bought a tin of GH Best Brown #2, and all I can say is "Wowsers, Penny!" Its got a very nice, but not overwhelming, floral/soap flavor to it, and while I couldn't see it being the only type of tobacco I'd smoke, I really am enamored of this blend and want to try more of this stuff. I fully intend to return to the shop next payday and snatch up a few tins of other stuff before they sell out, and maybe some bulk.

What other brands, available in the US, have this kind of quality to them? I intend at some point to pick up some of that new Lakeland Brickle I've heard about, but other than SG, GH, and that, what might I be able to find in the states with a similar flavoring? If the etailers are anything to go by, then I can't count on this B&M getting any more in stock on a regular basis when they run out, and if they were doing much business at all I doubt they'd still have this stuff. The other tin I purchased there yesterday (SG X Blend) had a sticker on it with a date suggesting that they recieved it back in 2009....and they still have a number of tins of that stuff, despite the fact that only 500 tins total were produced...

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for other blends I could try? I'm definitely going to grab their last tin of Ennerdale. Also as I haven't many pipe I think I'll have to dedicate a pipe to this type of tobacco as some seem to suggest it can haunt a pipe like no other.

What do you think of these types of tobaccos?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I love them. I couldn't smoke the same scented blend all day, (it would wear me out), but as a change up, they're the shiznit.

Lakelands are an across the pond phenomenon, so Lakeland Brickle would be the only stateside recommendation I would know of. You about have to order G&H and SG to experience them.

Oh, if you are worried about ghosting, just pick up a cob to dedicate to them.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'm not that worried. I've been smoking it from the same pipe I usually use for Kendal Dark. I just don't want to throw it in any pipe I want like I do with PA.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Falconeer suggested Erinmore Flake and I agree. It's a Brit tobacco but very available stateside.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If you liked G&H Brown Flake #2 - try some Sam's Best Brown flake - both are good - but it just has the edge IMO.
    OT

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

GH Ennerdale will give it to you "full-tilt" and Glengarry is somewhat sleeper on the flowers/soap/fru-fru/yadah-yadah! Both great! I prefer GH Broken Scotch Cake (all Va and minimal flower/soap/etc.) and Dark Rich Honey Dew ( all Va with a touch of the flower/crap). Love 'em. :whistle:

My initial intro to the "garden of La-La" (LAkeLAnd) was GH Rum Flake, WONDERFUL! Not much of the fru-fru, pretty much towards the beginning or at the re-start on a DGT.

Bob's Choc is Incredible!

Got some Kendal Gold, Kendal Plug, and Curly Cut Deluxe inbound. Never tried these before but as far as I'm concerned, SG is incredible tobak but GH is nearly always available! AND GH is also incredible tobak and maybe even better in certain blends.........or at least a nice change but equal on qual to SG.

Whatever GH is doing, SG could definitely learn or even prosper if they'd just share knowledge and change in the direction of enhanced output (SG's output). Oh well, I'm dreaming, yes. Guess I won't be buying much in a couple of weeks. Gettin' loaded up now! :D

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Ugh. Can't stand them. More for y'all, I guess.

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Erinmore Flake is a Lakeland?

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...only in certain areas of North America! :roflmao:

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ah great, I also remember they still have a tin of Broken Scotch Flake as well as the Ennerdale, and they've been there as long as I can remember. I'll have to snatch them up if they don't sell out by next week (yeah, right :eek:hyeah: )

And I'll need to get some of the bulk stuff, too. And maybe another couple tins of X Blend. And some good Lat/Orientals....and a pony! And a golden goose! And...and...and...! :w00t:

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

True that, Grammaton. Not a fan
    of these. Although, I heard SG Best
    Brown Flake has no essence, so it
    may be just a nice little VA. I may
    never know (which won't kill me).

dp

12. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Just wanted to vote Love Em. As an aside, it's also fun to play with the ghosts of these blends. Ever wonder what P A would taste like if it were made as a lakeland?--smoke a bowl in your Ennerdale pipe. Good times.

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Better believe I will. I smoke PA in all my pipes. :cheers:

Though I still have most of a tub of PA at my disposal, I went ahead and bought a pouch of CH. I've never had it before, and have heard so many good things about it on here I wanted to give it a shot.

14. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'm a HUGE SG fan, and I have tried and enjoyed many of their English blends, Virginia flakes, and Kendall Flakes/Twists, but I admit I've been a little hesitant to try the full-on Lakeland aros. I am intrigued, though, and I may have to dive in and try a some in the future. I'm not a big aromatic fan, but I can respect something that is steeped in 100-200 years of tradition, as many of these blends are.

15. raf66

raf66 Member

G&H's Bob's Chocolate Flake is the absolute cat's meow, at least in my humble opinion. 1792 is, I believe, a Lakeland-type blend too, though I don't find it as enjoyable. It's still good, however. I love the floral, perfumy Lakeland essence and intend on buying/cellaring more as I believe they will age well.

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....not just "a Lakeland-type blend" - but like the rest of the range - put together in Kendal, on the edge of the Lake DISTRICT....the only place still producing pipe tobacco in England.
    OT

17. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I tried G&H's Louisiana Flake last summer and didn't care for it at all and promptly traded it away (dope slap). Bought some Alamosa from 4noggins a few weeks ago and it seemed like it had some of the Lakeland essense in it and I enjoyed the heck out of it. So,,,,,,,,Got some G&H Brown Flake (unscented) in today and I'm enjoying a bowl of it right now.

Guess I might have to try some of that Louisiana Flake again.......:dopeslap:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.