Lakeland?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TampaPete, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Is it a brand or a varietal? I've only ever seen it mentioned in discussions, never come across it on sp.com or pandc.com, or at my b&m.
    Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

2. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

If I understand correctly, Lakeland refers to a region in England, where SG, G&H, and other British brands of tobacco are manufactured. Here in the states it seems we identify them more by their flavor than their geographical location. They tend to have a soapy or floral note added to them.

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Like DMWyatt said, it's a region in England. Samuel Gawith (SG) and Gawith, Hoggarth, and Company (GH) established tobacco companies in the area, around a town called Kendal, many many years ago. They flavor their tobaccos with various botanicals and such, and this flavoring has come to be known as Lakelands Essesnce or Kendal Sauce. To many of us Yanks it tastes like soap. However, if you're among those of us who like it, you'll find that the underlying tobacco blends are just awesome and that floral note (that's how it comes across to me) actually enhances the tobacco. In my case, it took my palate many years to develop to the point that I could enjoy these fine blends. Some people take to them much earlier. But those of us who like them tend to really like them.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+2 on RTO's post. Once I got the hang of them, many of them have become favorites. The flavoring enhances the tobacco like the right spices enhance a stew. Eventually tobaccos without these flavorings become a little anemic. I still like my fair share of unflavored blends but Lakelands seem to get smoked more often.

5. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

I guess I have some new stuff to add to my TAD list. Any specific suggestions for a start?

-pete

6. RTOdhner

I like GH Bosun Cut Plug and GH #7 Broken Flake a lot. I don't like their Coniston Cut Plug so much. #7 Broken Flake is my favorite out of the three I've tried. If you can get your hands on some, Condor Flake and St. Bruno - which are actually Britt OTC's - are fantastic. Of all the "Lakeland" type tobaccos I've tried, Condor Flake is my favorite. Hell, it's one of my favorites of any pipe tobacco.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

These guys are delusional [:ohyh: ] ... it's soap flavored tobacco . Not the Ivory soap flavor but the Yardley English Lavender type soap flavor , apparently the favored soap flavor ! Ummm Yum :puke: Enjoy !

nitehawk likes this.
  8. RTOdhner

Maybe so, but it be some damn good soap! ;)

9. RTOdhner

Anyway, Ruff, are you not the guy who likes the cherry cough syrup flavored stuff? ;)

10. ruffinogold

I'll have you know ........................................................................................................................................................... I am :)

11. RTOdhner

Pssst.... don't tell anybody, but I like it too.

12. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

GH Bright CR flake is a good intro. It's a bright Virginia flake, medium strength. Very, very light on the Lakeland flavors/scents. Delicious!
    Best Brown #2 is a medium strength Virginia/Burley flake with a bit more the Lakeland flavors. Nice and sweet.
    Louisiana Flake for a medium strenth Virginia/Perique flake with cocoa/nuts and a little,,, umm...soap*...:)... Very Yum!

Ennerdale if you want to dive right in to the deeper end. It's a bit over the top for me though and I imagine it will ghost a pipe for a while.

*If it is "Soap" flavored, then it's a mighty fine soap....:puffy:

Wicklow likes this.
  13. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Try as I might.......:thdn:

14. Jay

Jay Active Member

I haven't quite wrapped myself around the floral essence. possibly some day. A long, long time from now.

15. ruffinogold

In a galaxy far far away

16. dmkerr

That's what I said. I figured I was the last guy to "get" this stuff. Once it hooks you....

17. dmkerr

The list is endless. Bob's Square Cut, Kendal Flake, Best Brown #2, Lousiana Flake, Ennerdale Flake, Glengarry Flake, the Dark and Brown Flakes, scented and unscented. In fact, the only Lakeland from G&H that i didn't like was Rum Flake. But as Henson Cargill used to sing back in the '60's (sort of), "Skip The Ropes". They don't have the Lakeland essence but do a good imitation of a cross between the last inch of a well-smoked cheap El Producto cigar and bus exhaust.

18. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mmmm...ol' busmuffler. :puffy:

19. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

...he said busmuffler :)

20. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I Google'd Lakeland tobaccos recently and someone stated, that to them, it was a cross between their grandma's perfume and a urinal cake. :haha:

SSG P and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.