1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Lakeland?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TampaPete, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len smetona

len smetona Member

hmmm... Urinal Cake - that could be a name for a toby.

2. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

I'm pretty new to the Lakeland tobaccos, been smoking a couple of them over the last couple weeks. The first being GH Best Brown #2. I was intrigued enough to try them out due to the consensus that the underlying Virginia's was so good. I may have benefited from somewhat low expectations, I was waiting to get hit with a nasty "soap" or "perfume" taste when I lit that first bowl. To me it certainly had a very unusual flavor, i'd call it floral or herbal like Sweet Woodruff which I've used in the past to flavor wine, a wonderful smelling herb when dried. The taste was very present at first but melded with fine tobacco flavor as it progressed through the bowl. I was sold when I reached the end. Now that and GH Louisiana Flake are at the top of my rotation with Old Gowrie and Blackwoods Flake. These Lakeland tobaccos are unlike anything I've tried before, but to me the taste is so unique and delicious I can't get enough of them. I think it's worth giving them a try. You may absolutely detest them but if not what you have is a high quality tobacco that is readily available at great prices.

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Did they happen to mention how they came to taste a urinal cake? Missed that big sign about not eating the big white mint while in a drunken stupor, perhaps??? :D

Mington likes this.
  4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

How about Grandma's perfume? What, did they get a taste of it when they were giving her a hickey? :puke:

5. buistd

buistd Active Member

All the info so far is spot on. I would suggest that Ennerdale is perhaps a little bit strong on the floral/soapy/urinal cakey flavours to have as a first Lakeland. I have had a few bowls of it and after a bit of experimenting I found that cube-cutting it worked best for me but it was still a bit too heavy on the essence of Grandma. I have also tried Bosun and Coniston Cut Plugs and they are much more subtle examples. My pipe-smoking hero, Uncle Stan, smokes a 50/50 mix of Condor and St Bruno. It's a pretty good little British OTC blend if you can get your hands on them.

6. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

The strange thing about "Lakeland" scents is that when you smoke them for a while, the "soap" or "urinal cake" effect disappears. Its as if your brain simply cancels it out. All that remains is good tobacco with hints of, as dmkerr noted, spices that enhance the tobacco. Unlike dmkerr, I think the ropes are fantastic, too. But then again, I like the smell of naptha, gasoline, oil, dirt, etc.

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I've kind of found truth in badbusinessman's statement. I've been smoking a LOT of BB#2 and the lakeland essence isn't that noticeable anymore. All I really get is a mellow VA. I think it's because I'm used to the smell of lighting old grannies on fire now that my nose has just adjusted.

badbusinessman likes this.
  8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Ennerdale. I have spoken, and I rest my case.

9. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Lakeland tobaccos are produced in the Lakeland area of the UK. By association, many perfumed tobaccos are referred to as Lakelands. I prefer the GH blends, which to be high nic and strong with varying degrees of the famed essence.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I got together with DMKerr this weekend and he gifted a nice sample of Dark Flake scented along with a hefty baggie of Penzance. I'm a lover of most all things "Lakeland" and this is no exception! First bowl sold me. It's a totally different "floral" than my beloved Condor, and more floral than St. Bruno...delightful! Thanks Dana....you've made another convert! Bosun and Coniston Cut Plugs and Player's Navy Flake are also stellar Lakeland style blends...try them all.

RTOdhner and dwaugh like this.
  11. ric03

ric03 Member

I've taken some photies up that way when camping with my dog if anyone's interested in the region.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikg73/sets/72157627217303046/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikg73/sets/72157626413858721/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikg73/sets/72157625423050401/

I never minded the taste, though I guess I was used to the smell through many older guys smoking condor--in those days when you could smoke inside pubs--before I tried them. I like Kendal Flake the most. Westmorland slice is very nice too if you can get hold of it. Both are fairly soapy though )) Most SG don't have the Lakeland taste (not the ones I've tried anyway; does anyone know one that has?), neither, really, does St Bruno (well, not so much as Condor). If you can get hold of some Condor blended (milder), it might be a good way to start.

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

ric, brilliant snaps! Alphie looks very happy.

13. ric03

ric03 Member

Thanks Snake! We both love it up that way: really relaxing and perfect for sitting outside the tent with a nice bowl of lakeland at the end of the day )) Ric.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.