Lakelands blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Schmitz Bitz, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

So over the last couple of months, I've managed to get my technique to a point where I consistantly have a good smoke, from charring light to tipping the ash. I've sampled several different aromatics, so-called Balkans and Englishes, Va's, VaPers, VaBurs, straight burley blends, Orientals and Cavendishes. Despite running into a few issues (namely discovering that I react badly to perique if I smoke too much, which really sucks) I've been having a good run, and an enjoyable time as I endeavour to try as many different "types of" blends; and blends; as I possibly can.

So, to continue down this road, I need to get myself into Lakeland blends, and that terrifies me. I understand that the characteristic that defines a Lakeland blend is an almost soapy, floral casing - something that doesn't sound appealing to me at all (of course, the sweat-sock on a camp-fire description of Lat doesn't exactly get me all excited, either, while the leaf certainly does). So, my question is this - is there a good (preferably mildly cased) Lakelands blend to cut my teeth with? Preferably something easy to find (IE not S.G. or G.H.) and available in quantities less than a half pound...

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Pipes and Cigars has that new blend 'Lakeland Brickle'? I think it is called...

Haven't tried it, but it's like 18$ for 8oz.

Why no G&H, BTW?

3. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I'm ignoring your caveats above. Go full Monte, and dive in with GH Ennerdale--a VaBur literally doused with Lakeland Perfume. It'll ghost any pipe. I find myself craving this one.

I also liked GH Balkan Mixture (I dont remember any Perique in this) with it's much milder essence. Both are readily available in tins and by bulk.

Erinmore flake is outstanding -- more fruity than perfume-y.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I love both the answers you've received already! :thumbsu:

As a mid-point, I'd recommend G&H Glengarry Flake. Somewhere between heavily flavored and not flavored.

For a more natural take, G&H Best Brown #2 or Brown Flake Unscented. Both have a bit of the Lakeland flavor but it comes from the leaf and the processing rather than flavoring.

G&H Kendal's Flake is a bit heavier on the flavoring.

G&H makes my favorite Lakeland blends. And I believe these are all in stock at the various etailers. If you want Lakeland, go G&H.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

A very gentle entry into the essence is Rum Flake and actually, Bob's Choc. Hardly much in Bob's Choc and a touch more in Rum Flake. Both superb flakes. Usually available at one etailer or another.

I didn't much care for the essence when I first "sampled" the above but quickly got over it and now look forward to the journey through the fields. Most definitely a different experience. I'm working my way upwards with some Glengarry.

Go bold! Or go find the remote! ;)

If you are searching Lakeland, may as well get it from the Lakeland District or at least the toby that made the area famous (or was it the District that made the toby famous?!? :dunno:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I suppose it depends what you are used to or started with - most Brits cut their pipe smoking teeth on old style Classic British Flakes like St. Bruno, Ogden's Walnut or Erinmore, so we just don't recognise this so called soapy perfumey taste description.

To use most of what you call Lakelands are just about standard issue Brit tobaccos of the older style.

Erinmore Flake is readily available in America, is medium strength, smokes cool and has a citrussy zesty type of initial taste and then settles down to be a good solid smoke. It is a very different beast from the Erinmore Mixture though - which is a lighter rather indifferent colour mixture - so I'd say if you are looking for a gentle way in to "Lakelands" go via the Erinmore route initially.

Of course so many people like it that they never get past it - that's why its been made for around 100 years now.

Good luck in your quest!

Gerry

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Flake isn't hard to find and is a good smoke. It may seem overly flowery when it first arrives, but the perfume dissipates quickly. It's more a medium strength than the whack-upside-the-head 1792 or GH Dark Flake.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Lakeland tobaccos are not-terrifying. At worst they may remind you of somebody's grandma walking into the room after a quick schpritz with the rose- or lilac water and a heavy pat-down with face powder. On the other hand I have been told 25% of adults are scared by clowns. Try the Kendall Flake and, if clowns scare you, smoke it with your eyes closed.

First time I opened a tin of Squadron Leader I was overwhelmed by the aroma of soap and lavender. Mrs. Moo identified the the same soapy smell from across the room. It smoked similarly for a few minutes and then it all went away; I rarely pick up that scent in SL anymore. Change of nose or change of blend? I dunno.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Agreed! - but I'm not as polite, or er...diplomatic as Gerry, and this 'Lakeland' "floral" "soap" and "perfume" BS sometimes attains laughable proportions! - mention such things to most senior British pipemen, that have smoked them forty or fifty years, and you would probably get some good advice on sex and travel! :eek:hyeah: . With one or two exceptions they are just damn good flavourful tobaccos - that's why so many folks across the waters are in tears when a container load is late arriving!. Rant over - I'll now rub-out a couple of soapy Condor flakes!...sure keeps my hands clean and soft! - tastes good too! :thumb:
    Cheers, grumpy old Ted.

10. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Every time I try and order something from the G&H line, I end up getting an email letting me know its not in stock...well, other than B.I.T. I dunno, it just seems I have terrible luck securing their offerings, so rather than go through the refresh hell of trying to score some, I'll look to more prevalent offerings...like Erinmore, which, just to go against the grain, my local B&M actually stocks.

11. dmkerr

Erinmore Flake is a good place to start. I smoked a tin a few years ago and hated it but that was before I got past my aversion to the lakeland scented tobaccos. They were just foreign to me. Now I've not only come to grips with them, I actually love them very much. I need to give Erinmore Flake another go.

Falconeer knows his tobacco - hence his Master Piper designation. :thumbsu:

12. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

When I first started browsing pipe forums I wondered what this 'Lakeland' blend was.
    Flowery?, Soapy?, Lavender?
    I found out quickly it was Condor and St Bruno and other lesser known British tobaccos were being discussed.
    By Jove,
    On the back of these tobaccos, A huge empire was built by swarthy men who puffed these 'lakeland blends'. Glasgow was tobacco in the 18th/19th century.
    They would've struck the head off of any colonialist who called their aroma 'flowery/soapy.
    On the other hand............
    The British persona quickly became stereotypically effete and the huge empire did rapidly fall apart.
    :D :D :D
    P.S.
    I do love St Bruno.
    PPS
    I am not effete........... Yet lol :D

13. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Smokingpipes and Mars both have G&H bulks in stock.

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I admit that I don't get it. There has always been a lot of discussion about the Lakeland thing (does it, or does it not exist?) and is doubly weird to me because I have smelled it - and lost it!

I do not believe many scores of smokers randomly opted for the soapy/floral/lavender/rosewater description for Lakelands anymore than I think they're suffering from mass hypnosis. And when I hear people talk about McClelland products reeking of ketchup or vinegar or worchestershire sauce I know what they mean. The thing is, McC ALWAYS smells like ketchup to me but "thee" Lakeland scent has come and gone for me, even as others continue to pronounce (or deny) its existance..

As cited above my wife and I were both taken aback by a strong scent we agreed on as "soapy" the first time I opened a tin of Squadron Leader. I didn't load the dice and tell her what to expect... a minute after the lid came off she looked up at me with her most quizzical look and asked the equivalent of Robert Downey's best, "Watson! What HAVE you done!?" Smoking SL since, through many more tins, I never again perceived that memorable scent so powerfully, if at all. To a lesser extent I've had similar experiences with initial- vs. later impressions of "new tin" aroma from other products like1792 and Royal Yacht to name a couple.

And the last tin of Escudo I opened smells precisely like the first. And a banana still smells like a banana and todays stinky wet dog smells just like those stinky wet dogs of my youth. Bacon smells like bacon and a sea breeze hasn't changed.

There is an issue with the Lakeland scent profile. I just don't get it.

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

In both 1792 and Kendal Flake, it evaporates pretty quickly. I tightly jarred a pound of Kendal, and the next time I went to get some out of it, it had only the faintest aroma. Freaked me out; I like the perfume and was sorry it was gone.
    I have a couple pounds of 1792 that came in the factory boxes-- said boxes were not wrapped well, and had no perfume at all. Still pretty good, but not the same as the tin (which also loses its floweriness on the third or fourth opening).

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I do agree it's odd. When I sniff any of the Old Brit Classics as mentioned above I get a smell like Old Style South African Sherry/Port ( and the Brits of a certain age know I'm talking, Lanliq, 4 Crowns, V.P., El Dorado etc - go on deny you ever tasted it!!), a sometimes heavy fruitiness, a touch of licquorice, sometimes the merest hint of aniseed and what I can only decribe as a "tobacco" smell from the (usually) second rate Malawi instead of top grade Rhodesian Virginia that they used to feature.

Like most other things in Pipe World - not at all worth going to war over....it just puzzles us this side of the Pond!

Oh by the way Revor is available Stateside - that's another way into those type of tobaccos.

As usual, Happy Smoking Whatever!

Gerry

17. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Well knock me down and call me Susan, so they do! Sadly, I can't order through Mars (and I really want to!) as they don't ship to Canada, but Smokingpipes is good to go! I had pretty much just given up on trying to score any, and stopped looking...live and learn, eh?

18. dmkerr

Don't overlook the Trading forum, where you can trade for blends you want to sample.

19. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Just finished up smokin' a bowl of GH Dark Honey Dew and the essence is strongest at first light up and any subsequent light up but diminishes over the bowl and it also re-appears on a DGT light up. But pretty quickly, the essence disappears and the smoke settles in with no noticable re-visit.....until you relight. At first, I was dreading this "soapy-perfumey-flowery" flavor/aroma and it does smell like an old lady of the victorian era......but it's not a "put-off" for me. It behaves well.

Besides piperz, it's Spring! ;)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

20. raf66

raf66 Member

To the original OP, I love the "Lakeland" taste/smell profile. 1792 is a bit much sometimes, but others are worth writing home about. Especially G&H's Bob's Choc Flake, which is my preferred blend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.