lakelands

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JuJu McMojo, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Can anyone recommend some quintessential Lakelands--this'll be my first go at them.

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

There are two "Lakelands"....those tobaccos made in the Lakeland District of England, and what we Colonials call Lakeland....floral flavored tobaccos.
    True Lakelands are from Sam Gawith and/or Gawith & Hogarth. There are a number of these without the "scent" that has come to be Lakeland. FVF is a Lakeland, for instance.

"Lakelands" in the other sense, would include Erinmore Flake, St. Bruno's Flake, Condor, Ennerdale Flake and others.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

What t-bear said. :thumbsu:

Quintessential? Uh, do you want, flowery, fruity, or a WTH is that type?

(In order of the above...Bosun Cut Plug(scented), Erinmore, and 1792.)

BCP and 1792 have a bit of strength to them...

There are quite a few, but I suppose Erinmore is the best known? It seems to have a well known history, anyway.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

certainly!....what types of tobacco do you like to smoke? - as they can ALL be recomended! - BTW most British pipemen find it slightly amusing when the traditional flakes we smoke :- St.Bruno, Condor, Walnut,etc. etc. are called 'Lakeland', 'floral', 'soapy'...and even,(for Gawds sake!) - aromatics! :roflmao: BTW -these are all made in mainland Europe or Scandinavia now, Sadly - just G&H and SG are the only ones still being produced here, in the little town of Kendal, on the edge of a small area (relatively!) that we all refer to as The LAKE DISTRICT!

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Wow - where to begin?

Ennerdale is the one I enjoy that has the most added flavor. Dedicate a pipe to this, as it will ghost even a meerschaum!

In my regular rotation are Dark Flake Unscented, Kendal Kentucky, Perique Flake and Kendal Flake. Other good ones are Best Brown #2 (slightly lighter than DFU, otherwise very similar), the above-mentioned Ennerdale and Bosun Cut Plug unscented. I need to try more of the scented versions.

If you try a bunch of them and absolutely don't like them, please don't toss them! Use them as trade bait. I'm a new devotee and except for the ropes and rope-like blends, I love them all.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

As Ted said "most British pipemen find it slightly amusing when the traditional flakes we smoke :- St.Bruno, Condor, Walnut,etc. etc. are called 'Lakeland', 'floral', 'soapy'...and even,(for Gawds sake!) - aromatics!"

I think of them as Classic British Tobaccos, and to me they taste like...err...pipe tobacco!

Think you'll do OK with most Sam Gawith or Gawith tobaccos - though there does seem to be a real shortage of them over in your side of the pond at present,

Good luck

Gerry

7. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

When I lived in Boston, I used to pick up 4 oz cans of a blend that I think they called "old fashioned" or "original blend." It is a very geranium flavored blend. I can't pinpoint it on their site's menu but if you want something hand made in the States, give them a call. They don't do internet very well, being old school codgers, but they will be able to pinpoint what I'm describing after a little discussion. It was my daily smoke when I lived in Bean Town and I grew to love it. I haven't found anything similar since I moved away. The lady of the house loved the room note.

8. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Thanks for the responses so far. When I refer to Lakelands, I'm referring to the tobacco that smells or tastes like the little bathroom soaps my wife won't let me touch. Defining Lakeland to mean tobacco produced in the Lakeland District is like saying America can't produce any English tobacco (wait, don't answer that!) ;)

9. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

:groucho: Mixture 79.

Heff's favorite is actually one I like alot, too. Dedicate your pipe to it -- even my cobs get ghosted. Let it dry out, sip it, and it is a very nice smoking experience.

If you want "higher brow" blends, go for the G&H or SG blends. I love Erinmore flake - nice, candied pineapple hints over good quality tobacco. Also can ghost your pipe.

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....not sure what you mean by "higher brow" blends - in relation to G&H and SG tobaccos?, good as they are - they are no different in quality or price to the others mentioned ( St.Bruno, Condor,Erinmore etc.) - which over here, are OTC blends - available in most supermarkets!...just another brand - really.
    Cheers, OT

11. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Well, I'd like to thank you all again for the responses. Last night I came down with a severe case of TAD. A portion of my order included: GH Best Brown #2, GH Ennerdale Flake, Erinmore Flake, and GH Balkan (which I hope isn't floral, just hoping to replace the SG Balkan). I'll let you know how I make out with them.

12. dmkerr

Hope you like the Ennerdale and BB#2! I just ordered a half-pound and a pound, respectively. I'll also be curious about the Balkan. Do let us know!

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Interesting reply WK...just missing a NAME for this shop? Would be interested in talking with them... :eek:hyeah:

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Soap ... I swear guys I'll never understand . I've tried to try them and just can't do it ... maybe get 3 puffs in and I'm done . I guess you gotta be real men to do the soap thing . Me ... I just think I was a bad boy and mommy got the soap out . RUN ! LOL

15. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

The G&H Balkan flake is pretty good. I was gifted an oz or so of it by a forum member awhile back. There is a very light floral flavor to it. Basically you will smell and taste it when you first light it but it goes away pretty quickly. I didn't find it unpleasant. Might not be the best Balkan you have tried but it probably won't be the worst either.

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Funny how we can all often taste things differently - I could never get a soap taste from G&h's Balkan - just Latakia. Haven't smoked it for a year since I took to straight virginias and classic British Flakes again but hope you enjoy your order when it comes!

Best as ever

Gerry

17. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Along the same lines, I get soap any and every time I try to smoke Robert McConnell latakia flake, while lots of guys tell me it tastes to them like SG Commonwealth, which, to me, is soap free.

18. dmkerr

For me, they just hit me all of a sudden. I could never get past the soap taste, either. Even in blends that had a very mild amount of it, like SG Kendal Cream Flake and G&H Rich Dark Honeydew. Suddenly it just hit me and it no longer tasted of soap. Just a mild (or medium, depending on the blend) enhancement to the tobacco. And with the unscented blends scents? Not sure. The theory is that the Malawi and other African tobaccos are just different tasting than their American counterparts.

Try a bowl of G&H Kendal Flake next time you're in the mood to try a Lakeland. That's the one that turned me around. On the other hand, there's no rush. I'm sure there are plenty of blends out there that you already love. No real need to try to like something you currently do not.

19. dmkerr

The more tobaccos I try and the more I talk to other smokers, the more I'm convinced that there are few if any absolutes when it comes to the taste of tobacco. There is some consensus, but that is all. What I find soapy, you might find not to be, and vice versa. Some folks find ketchup in McClellands blends, some people find Mac Baren blends to bite, etc. But there are always many, many people that take exception to the consensus.

If you taste soap with the McConnell and you find it unpleasant, then the answer is that it's soapy to you. That is your reality and, my friend, YOUR reality is the only one that really matters when you're doing the smoking!

20. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I took this as secret New Englander code for "Peretti's",but I could be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.