1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

lakelands

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JuJu McMojo, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

LOL LOL Could be, and as WK hasn't chimed in yet, it might be one of those "If I tell you, I'll have to kill you!" things.
    Thanks for the grin!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Mmmm...soap. Sorry, nothing real to add, it's just I've back to backed Ennerdale and Erinmore Flake just now...

Must be my parents didn't give me enough soap in the mouth punishments as a kid, because I rather enjoy them.

3. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Ok, so the oder of HG Best Brown #2, Ennerdale, Erinmore, & GH Balkan Mix came a few days ago (4noggins is FAST). Here's my (noob) impressions.......

I was anxious to fire up the Ennerdale, as this is the strongest flavored of the bunch. Upon opening the tin, a lovely bouquet (pun intended) greated me. AHHHH, I love the way this toby smells...could put it in those sachet thingys. I fully rubbed the flakes out and left the tobacco to dry for an hour on a piece of paper (meanwhile, I kept smelling my hands :eek:hyeah: ) Upon first light, I was bowled over with the intense floral flavor--like taking a swig of granny's perfume bottle--literally. Fortunately, this dissipated as I worked my way down the bowl. This was loaded into my newly dedicated pipe for aros, and was a marathon 2 hour smoke. There was more toby, left in the bowl, but I had to call it quits at this point. The room note (again floral) was very pleasant, and I could taste the florals on my breath for many hours after. No soap (and here I refer to "soapiness" as a mouthfeel, not a taste) but there was an overpowering floral taste. Bottom line is, while I enjoyed this toby, it's a little much for daily consumption. I'll keep a tin on hand, but won't be ordering poundage. Maybe with a little age, the floral note will subside.

Erinmore. Now we're talkin'! I like the tin--it's "painted" and not a sticker. The tin-note is fruity and initially reminded me of Juicy Fruit (tho' I think I moved past this). Smoking this I noted a slight floral note--not off-putting, but very pleasant and more fruit in the flavor but not like a flavored aromatic--the flavors played backup to the natural taste tobacco. It's easy to see why this has been around a long as is has. I get the soapy mouthfeel with this one, which I enjoy. This could easily make it into a regular rotation (well, as soon as I order enough of it). I smoked this one through a few different pipes, as I'm still exorcising the Ghost of Ennerdale Past from my aro pipe, and found I like it best out of my much neglected cob.

GH Balkan Mix. I was hoping to find a replacement for SG Balkan Flake--I didn't find it here. Tin note is of smokey Cyprian Latakia. Thin ribbon cut. This is a solid Balkan in it's own right, with a faint soapiness in this one, too. Burned down to the finest ash I've ever seen--it was powder-like. I'm not sure it's the best balkan I've had, but I will purchase again. Haven't made it to Best Brown 2 yet, but maybe next month.

Overall, my initial tour of "Lakelands" has left a very favorable impression, which makes me want to continue the exploration.

4. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Sorry if this seems snotty or insulting. The SG & G&H blends are usually priced at a premium when I can find them, as they aren't imported in great quantites to this side of the pond. The Mixture 79 mentioned, is widely panned over here for its oldfashioned anise-floral-soapy flavor, especially when compared to the more savory matured Virginias or sweeter aromatics. Therefore, I find more people shy from this famous OTC tobacco than embrace it. I actually like it quite a bit, getting more anise/licorice flavor from it than flowers or soap.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nice reviews! Anxious to see how the BB#2 hits you - it's one of my favorites.

I'm on a Lakeland tour myself and I'm amazed at how incredible the G&H blends are. I'm struggling a bit with Rum Flake at the moment but I have a feeling things are about to turn around! :thumb:

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

You have some 5100? Mix about 1/3 5100 with that Ennerdale...tame it right down...and goes a long way toward actually enhancing the flavors.

7. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Flowers &BBQ sauce. ...mmm, mmmm, good.

Seriously tho', I'll give it a try--thanks t-bear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.