Lane RLP-6 & 1Q - Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RevSmoke, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Lane RLP-6 & 1Q always get so much love. I have also seen these blends mentioned many times here and elsewhere, as suggested blends for newcomers to the pipe to try.

Personally (and by the way, I go into the initiating of this thread with the firm belief that all palates are not created equal, and we will all like different blends), I do not understand why.

I have found these two blends in particular to dripping in PG, goopy and cloying in the pipe, lacking in any pleasant tobacco flavor, and fry my tongue like few others (except any MacBaren blends - and yes, they always fry my tongue too, but that's for a different day & different thread). When I did get around to trying them, if I had started with them, thinking that this is typical of how smoking a pipe will leave my tongue feeling, I'd have put down the pipe and never looked back.

I know these are loved aound the world, and are probably some of the biggest selling tobaccos out there. When I have smoke either of these, many were the people around who comments on how much they liked the smell. I must admit, they do leave an incredible room note. But, it is what they do to my tongue and do not do to my palate that leave me going, "Huh? How do people love this? How can this be a suggested blend for newcomers?"

Just so you have an idea of what I mean, if I finish a whole bowl of either of these, my tongue is useless to taste or enjoy anything else for a solid 24 hours or more. I am not a rookie to the pipe, but have been smoking since 1980 - and I have tried these blends (in the hopes of getting it) over and over in the span of those 30+ years. Always with the same results.

Like I said, there are probably tens of thousands of pipe smokers who love these blends, and I am not trying to turn them away from smoking them. If I could get some of either to just smolder in a bowl somewhere and make the room smell great, I would. What I just cannot tolerate though, is using my own mouth as that which cycles the smoke into a pleasant room note.

Here's my question. Am I the only one?

Thanks.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

fogpipe likes this.
  2. Tate

Tate Member

No.

I'd rather smoke dried and crumbled dog turds than smoke Lane 1Q.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

1-Q and RLP-6 are not known to produce tongue bite, as a rule. Loaded, dried, and puffed carefully, I'd guess that about 90% of the pipesmoking population would get on fine with them. Lucky you, you're in that 10% of folks whose chemical balance disagrees with the tobaccos.

I've started literally dozens of new smokers on one of these two blends, but only if they've never smoked regularly before... no ex-cig smokers. Those folks I start with burleys, as aromatics would be too soft for them. But that softness is what a new smoker will need to see if they enjoy the experience. From there, we move on. The tobaccos are fine for what they are, and some smokers stick with them for a long time. Others seek different things eventually.

So you're not the only one, but you are the exception.

bubbagump and Spillproof like this.
  4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I dont get bit by them, or macbaren blends, but I don´t care for lane aromatics. Oddly enough, I do like black cavendish a LOT.

bubbagump likes this.
  5. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

I did start with Q1 among other "goopey" blends. but after some time in the saddle I think :old: a newcommer would be better served by being directed to a straight burly, Virginia, and a light oriential\ lat blend and stay completly away from these aeromatic types until a better mastery of the fundementials, ie loading, tamping, & just keeping it lit.
    JM2C.

6. dmkerr

Unfortunately, a lack of basic techniques doesn't serve burleys, virginias or oriental blends well, either.

Fundamentals are taught before that first puff is taken.

RevSmoke and FlatbushPaul like this.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I loved 1Q when I started smoking. I don't dislike it now, but I can't say that I have any interest in buying large quantities of it (just an ounce here and there as I run out).

I liked 1Q until I figured this out. It doesn't have enough black cavendish for me.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  8. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Thankfully I learned from the people at Iwan Ries in downtown Chicago. They walked me through my first few bowls and numerous questions in my early days. I would agree that gave me more than the tobaccos themselves ever did. A mentor/tutor of the pipe is a big help. Yes, I know that you can get copious amounts of information on the internet, but that does not replace 1-on-1 interaction.

9. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

I stand corrected.

10. Tate

Tate Member

I don't know. I kinda think you are still right. While lessons can be taught... I can show you all the math, science, know how, and techniques to make a cabinet. When I hand you all the materials, it might still be a learning curve experience. Difference between book knowledge and experience.

I find that aros are a real pain to smoke. Some of them are overly wet, hot, or goopy. Not all of them but a lot of them. Its way way easier to smoke a bowl of an OTC burley than it is to stuff a pipe with 1Q and have a great smoke. I actually of the school of thought that aros are a type of smoke I'd give newbies after they have some good smokes under their belt. You want them to get to know the different blends and flavors of the underlying tobaccos and have a few care free easy smokes before you turn them loose on the syrup.

11. buistd

buistd Sales Account

To prove what a funny World we live in, 1Q is one of the few aromatics that I have managed to smoke a whole bowl of without getting bored with it. It is also the only aromatic that I have tried that has made me think I want more of it.

12. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

No, of course you are not the only one who doesn't like 1Q. But you may be among the few. The popularity of these blends speak for themselves. Budweiser is a popular beer. Does this mean you will like it? Of course not. Does this mean it is a "good" beer? That all depends on your definition of "good". Is it OK if you don't like Budweiser, or 1Q, or RLP-6? What do you think? Again, I will say that the beauty of this hobby is that we have so many choices. Some people don't like Latakia. That's OK. Some people think FVF is overhyped crap. Again, OK. Penzance? I have no desire to even try it, and I ignore all posts about Hamborger Veermaster (or however it's spelled). Will the tobacco police come to my house and force me to smoke HV, or FVF, or Penzance? I hope not.

But if I might make a gentle suggestion -- why not focus on what you do like, rather than what you don't? Telling someone you'd rather smoke cat hair than a 7Seas blend doesn't really help anyone, and might make those who like 7Seas feel really bad. Telling us about an awesome smoke you just had when you least expected it is much more useful, in my opinion. We know you don't like 1Q. What do you like?

13. dmkerr

I keep living in the past!

Quite honestly, I was taught up close and personal from a store owner well before the internet and I keep forgetting that that kind of personal service is a lot more rare these days. A lot of newbies learn from the internet, so it's a lot more difficult. A lot more trial and error is involved, so your original point is well taken.

14. dmkerr

We thought about it, but we were afraid you would try to serve us Budweiser to appease us. :ohyh:

jdto and JRobert like this.
  15. Tate

Tate Member

Because people like to talk, and share, and evaluate. Its equally relevant to express positive and negative perceptions of blends. They're all useful. Rev has posted some good reviews on what he does enjoy. This is some chat about what he doesn't. A gentle suggestion -- Enjoy both good and bad reviews, they both express the opinions and thoughts of an individual.

brumoon likes this.
  16. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

I was
    Tate kind of sums up my response. I was not try to slam a couple blends, I was trying to start a conversation. As Tate said, I have posted some "positive" reviews. And by the way, I didn't say anything about smoking a cat hair, although I think I ate a dog hair earlier today as ours is shedding and they are everywhere.

Peace of The Lord be with you.

17. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Sorry, I didn't mean that you had made that comment about smoking cat hair. It was just an example. I've seen people post comments like that, and personally I don't find them very helpful.

I have too many cats, so I've probably smoked several cat hairs by now. If you smoke a strongly flavored blend with them they're really not too bad.

jdto, el guero and RevSmoke like this.
  18. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Comic relief... I like it!!!

19. tungbite

tungbite Member

I bought some IQ just to try it. I don't like the taste or the smell. I will stick with unflavored tobacco from now on.:thdn:

20. zwolanek

zwolanek Member

You are not alone. 1-Q bites me so much I just gave away about a half pound of it. Carter Hall also bites me.

So that makes me one of the odd men out. Especially with Carter Hall.

I am like most in that the MacBaren line bites me, too, except for the HH series. All of those are excellent with no bite for me at all. I was lucky to get some of the first tins of the Old Dark Fired burley flake at last year's Chicago Pipe Show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.