Lane RLP-6 vs. Captain Black (regular/white)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bubbagump, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

How do these two compare? I'm finding myself going back to Captain Black here and there because it's easy to light and has a reasonably good taste/aroma (though definitely not the best I've had). However, it would be nice to find something with similar properties (taste/aroma) that doesn't have the chemical additive.

Any recommendations for something that has a similar taste/aroma? Yes...I realize that many here are not CB fans, lol.

2. Bent

Bent Member

Bubba,

RLP-6 is the bulk version of CB White. Some argue RLP-6 has less chemicals, and while it is probably true, they taste pretty much the same to me.

In terms of a similar blend, I would recommend you try the MacBaren's 7 seas blends, they are pretty much copies of Captain Black.

There is a lot out there that is similar. Smoker's Pride Vanilla Cavendish is much cheaper and, in my opinion, better. Iwan Ries sells one called Three Star Blue. Not exactly the same as CB, and it draws some strong reactions, but I would group it in the same category.

If you haven't already, CB Royal (blue pouch) is also worth trying, the bulk equivalent is called 1-Q and that's one of the very few aromatics I smoke regularly.

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Most bulk or OTC aromatics are going to contain some humectant chemicals (usually propylene glycol) to prolong shelf life. The difference I've encountered between RLP-6 and Captain Black White is that the former will dry out faster if left exposed to air. So I assume this means it contains smaller amounts of PG. Once properly dried, they taste identical to me, as they should because they probably come off the same conveyor. One just gets more "juice" sprayed on it and goes in a different container.

In general, if you're looking at an aromatic tobacco that is destined for a shelf at a drugstore/convenience store, it'll have a considerable amount of PG. If you buy it from a tobacco shop, it'll have some but not as much.

4. bubbagump

I've read reviews that suggest that they're the same thing...and I've read others that suggest they aren't.

I've got MacBaren 7 seas Vanilla and Black. It didn't occur to me before...but if I took my Vanilla and Black and mixed it up...that would probably do it. I'll have to give that a try with a small amount this evening.

You aren't the first person to mention Smoker's Pride. Is that something that you can buy in a store, or is that online only?

I like 1Q. I can score that locally.

I've found bulk online of both RLP-6 and Captain Black White. I'll have to order some of each and see how they are out of a bulk bag.

Cool. Thank you.:toast:

5. dmkerr

I can see how they might taste different to some people at various times, but they are one and the same. They are just intended for different markets. Just as (historically speaking) a guy walking into a drugstore won't buy a tobacco named RLP-6, the traditional pipeshop guy hasn't been interested in what he would consider a drugstore blend. It was a marketing strategy that has paid big dividends. But it's the exact same recipe. I promise. :beck:

bubbagump likes this.
  6. user3610

user3610 Member

Dave Dueck and bubbagump like this.
  7. bubbagump

8. user3610

user3610 Member

I have a couple ounces of RSVP to spare, as I buy a lot of it.
    PM me if you'd like to make a swap.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+ 1 .. Good advice ... the 7 seas line is good quality American style Aros . The Red has a mello cherry going on that nice , if ya like a mello cherry .

Dave Dueck likes this.
  10. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Via Cobbsmoker:

bubbagump likes this.
  11. dmkerr

mmmkayyyyy.... ;)

12. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

I'm not sure where he got his info lol. :p: It is a pretty good post however, since this topic pops up at least twice a month.

bubbagump and dmkerr like this.
  13. bubbagump

Yeah...the search feature on this forum kills me (too many returns, etc.). People are good enough to respond whenever a newbie has a question like this.

14. dmkerr

I'm sure that's what Lane's says about the blends. Then again, would you expect a brand manager from General Mills to tell you that Cheerios is the same stuff as what is in the Kroger-branded box named Oat Noogies that sells for 60% of the price of the name brand? He won't, but it is.

15. Bent

Bent Member

[quote="bubbagump, post: 478286, member: 3984"
    You aren't the first person to mention Smoker's Pride. Is that something that you can buy in a store, or is that online only?

Cool. Thank you.:toast:[/quote]

Smoker's Pride is something you should be able to find locally. Most grocery stores or those cigarette shops (Discount Whatever Tobacco) carry them too. They come in bags of, if I'm not mistaken, 14 ounces.

You will be pleasantly surprised with Smoker's Pride. Just be careful because there is ALSO a cigarette tobacco of the same brand that they try to pass as pipe tobacco.

16. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

@bubb Oh I completely agree! I just think it is some pretty interesting information.

@dmkerr True, but one official statement is better then nothing. It at least lets us know where they stand. :P I've always been interested in the differences between CB and the bulk blends. I have some 1Q on the way since I really like CB Royal, so hopefully I can see for myself.

17. Bent

Bent Member

I don't think this issue will ever be settled. Some say the same, some say different. To me, they are the same, even if the recipe is different. I was disappointed with MacBaren's 7 seas because I could get CB and the bulk equivalents for cheaper and locally. Others think the 7 Seas are better.

It might be a matter of taste and psychology. I mean, when I first started with the pipe Carter Hall and Half and Half were the same to me, now they are not the same, not even close. So, who knows...

18. dmkerr

Not settled to everyone's satisfaction, to be sure. But I'm satisfied, and it appears you are as well. :ohyh:

But to be fair, if you take a beef stew recipe that calls for a quart of water and you change it to a quart plus a tablespoon of water, you've technically changed the recipe. ;)

19. bubbagump

I found a bag locally. Gonna try it out here in a bit.

Not bad.

Dave Dueck likes this.
  20. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Can we assume you were drinking at the time? :xd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.