1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Large Bowl - Keeping It Lit?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by SouthBound, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

My latest pipe purchase was a Blakemar extra-large pot. It is very well constructed and smokes wonderfully. The interior dimensions are just over 1" wide and around 1.5" deep. The diameter is really what's giving me just a tiny bit of trouble. I have a hard time getting the top evenly lit. I'm usually one third down with several relights before things are running smooth and burning even.

Is there a technique for large bore pipes that differs from the "normal" size bowls?

Jeebs likes this.
  2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Easier to keep ribbon cuts lit in large bore pipes; harder if smoking flakes. What did you have in it?

SouthBound likes this.
  3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Size of flame for a good char. Matches provide a nice big flame. Saw a piper on a windy day fire up 3 matches all at once to get a big freehand started. I was amazed! All three were lit at once (big flame!) Then he rolled the matches a touch between his fingers spreading out the flames and set fire to the leaf! It was fluid motion and gracefully executed. I took note of his technique and have tried it many times since......no luck for Puff, danged wind kept blowing them all out. So there i sat with three burnt out matches, the matches smoking, not Puff! Then out came Zippo to the rescue! Zippos give a nice big flame.

Ed
    Puff

Jeebs, ol gto and SouthBound like this.
  4. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Still breaking it in with McB GE & Scottish Mixture.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

This is not meant to sound snarky, but after you smoke it 50 times, you'll have no problem. I'm guessing you just need more time with flame over tobacco. You'll see the tobacco as it lights, and you'll get used to it.
    Practice makes perfect, my man.

Mark w4mms, ol gto and SouthBound like this.
  6. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Big flame. Ill have to get the old zippo out and refill her.

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I sometimes do more than 1 charring light if it's a big bore pipe. If there's a patch that didn't get charred the first time, I hit it again without going for the full light. Tamp again, and then go for the regular light. It doesn't matter how many times you char, so much as getting it even from the start.

8. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Have you tried a gallon of gasoline ,all good things take time you'll get it sooner or later.

jpberg likes this.
  9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You smoke a lot of cobs, no? I can see why a bigger bowl would be tricky. Don't think big flame, just think about the the time the tobacco is exposed to the flame, and make sure you cover the entire surface area.
    Even then, you may have to do a little tamper work with tobacco around the exterior edge of the bowl, kind of "raking" it towards the center, where your cherry is. This too will pass, just keep smoking it.

10. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Yeah, I smoke cobs probably 75% of the time. I figured that "Practice, practice, practice," would be the advice. Just thought I might be missing some little trick that's special to big bowls.
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It may take a few charring lights to toast the top before you tap, once the top is toasted and tapped smooth the light should distribute evenly across the surface of the tobacco to include the edge around the bowl.

12. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'm intrigued.

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

+1 for matches, they're much better for lighting large bore pipes.

Jeebs likes this.
  14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ok, here'z Puff's Secret that is everyone's secret tool for big wide canyon-like bowls

Fill y'er pipe up to where you would normally.

Take an extra pinch, can be a small one. And grind the hellouttavit 'tween the fingertipz.

Pour the "ignit-o-powder" ontop and commence to the burn.

Workz for Puff!

:)

Ed
    Puff

Kiowapipe, Mington and Dondi like this.
  15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Smoking a 13/16" Apelt loaded with Peter Heinrich's Special Curly now. The big bowl and being a coin tobacco, took 2 chars to get it toasted evenly. Going good and smooth now... :bing:

jpberg and SouthBound like this.
  16. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I have a few briars that are 13/16 to 7/8, and they treat me pretty good. This Blakemar pot is more like 17/16, and it's being difficult. I'll figure it out soon.

I'm beginning to wonder if Dondi might have the right of it. I've been breaking it in with ready rubbed. Maybe I should try some ribbon cut in it.

17. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Wouldn't hurt to try! Puff's "ignit-o-powder" tip is also something that I use often.

SouthBound and Mington like this.
  18. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Well, when I went digging for some ribbon cut, I reallized that all I've been smoking lately is flakes and ready rubbed. Finally found some Dunhill 965 that I'd sealed up when I got on this VA & Vaper binge. The ribbons lit easily and evenly, and the 965 never tasted better. I believe I've found a great match for this pipe.
    Thanks for the pointer, Dondi.

Dondi and Kiowapipe like this.
  19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

You're welcome! I used to have all billiards in my collection, then stumbled across an article which made me go out and buy pipes with shallower but wider bowls (tomato, prince, author, pot shapes). After discovering the difference, I had a better idea on which tobacco to smoke in which pipe! Here's the link, in case you're interested: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/nei...-that-magic-fit-between-pipe-and-tobacco.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.