1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Last of the pipesmiths (you will love this)

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by WrightwoodJohn, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Here's a rare glimpse into the pipe making shop of Julius Vesz, who immigrated from Hungary when he was 23 and I believe still has his shop in Toronto. It's a great 7 minute clip...enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R0Iv7tMHPQ

albot9 and Mark w4mms like this.
  2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The guy is a character for sure . I've read many interviews that he's done over the years . His teardrop lookin shape is/was real popular . His use of deadroot has been a somewhat heated topic by people over the years , but whatever . He's a neat older dude and his shop is like a curiosity museum for pipe smokers . I wish all pipe shops were half as cool as his . In the video I saw an old tin called ... Four Monks .... never had that one . I wonder if it was someones version of Three Nuns .

Mark w4mms likes this.
  4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I noticed that too, never heard of it.

5. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Yes, I think I (and other people on this site) have seen the "genius" of Julius Vesz. Apparently, he is the only one "building" pipes any more, and he only uses dead briar, as, everyone knows the live briar is just too dangerous and has been known to attack innocent pipe smokers the world over. Can someone say, :banana: :bdance:?

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Cool video. Anyone here have any of his pipes?

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I had a friend who owned a few , it smoked really killer .

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I think that interviewer seemed a little disappointed that the pipes are 'only' for tobacco :)

Mington likes this.
  9. WrightwoodJohn

I was a little confused when he said once he's gone...that's it..? there are other pipesmiths, David Jones etc. Armellini's daughter is making pipes.. Maybe he's the last Hungarian pipesmith ?

10. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Seriously, it was at that point when he asked the question (FOR THE SECOND TIME) that I was disappointed in the interviewer. It wasn't funny the first time, and it wasn't funny the second time!

11. Ferris

Ferris Member

I just picked up one of his estates and that is 15yrs old, and the finish is superb. A real looker that I think will maintain it's appeal for another 15 years. I will try and post pics later.

As to the interview, he seems to be a bit of a nutter, maybe I will confirm this when I am in Toronto for Christmas.

12. Dave Hunter

Dave Hunter Member

I have 10 of his pipes that were originally my fathers and they are great pipes. I recently had they them fixed and polished by him to bring them back to the shape they should be in ( a few stems were cracked ). Julius is a pretty stand up guy and real interesting guy to have a conversation with. I don't think that in the interview he means he is the last pipesmith I think he might be one of the last using dead briar.....not to sure. Either way I would recommend any pipe smoker check out his shop if they get the chance to.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  13. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

TEN pipes from this guy? Wow, what a treasure.
    That's what's so cool about PSF, I learn something new all the time!! Thanks to WJ for posting this.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Much of the beauty of a pipes lies in the making. Even a cob or a Dr. G is made by a craftsman of sorts, and pipes made by Mr. Vesz or Sas are crafted by artists. I really enjoyed that video. Thanks.

15. WrightwoodJohn

I've watched it a couple of times, and must admit in deciding on my 3rd pipe (I will probably only have 3 or 4 in my collection, being as I will only be smoking on the weekends due to the fact that I'm a super commuter at 1 hr each way and work 4 tens) I found one Julius Vesz on Ebay I had to have, bid & won. There are so many different makes to chose from, but this particular design I loved, can't wait for it to arrive. I will post a picture and let you all know how she smokes! Glad you enjoyed the video.

16. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Very cool video. I'm glad they shut the interviewer up after the first couple of minutes. Let the master speak.

17. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Very nice! Thanks for posting!

18. winterland

winterland Member

Very cool video. Would be cool to hang out there and light up a bowl.
    I think when he says he is the last pipesmith he means at his store. No one to follow in his place.

19. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks that must be it...he's the last in his family practicing the craft, no siblings or family members to carry on after he goes.

20. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I've had a few of his pipes and have visited his shop twice. Smoking a Vesz pipe with him in what I call his throne room was great. I'd stick with the hand cut series pipes they are far superior to the hand made line. I still have a very large hand cut Canadian in the collection that I will never part with. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.