Latakia based baccy

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by fuerte91, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuerte91

fuerte91 Member

My friend and i are roadtripping to the smokingpipes.com shop, and he is looking for a tobacco blend that is Latakia based, that is very flavorful and strong. He's open to any and all suggestions.

2. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

G.L. Pease's Westminster. Fairly strong and it has a real nice taste.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Rose of Latakia.....probably the most potent Latakia hit you can get. For a less aggressive taste check out the selections we have chosen for the up coming Jul/Aug 2T2M.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

This is a thread where the likes of Jesla's input will be really useful. While I love the aroma of latakia so many good British Blends that incorporated just the right amount of latakia have now gone and any of the modern ones I've tried have smoked too thin for me. This can be latakia's big paradox - massive full on campfire smell but unsatisfactory smoking unless its well backed up with other tobaccos.

Will be watching this one with interest,

Gerry

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

so far, the heaviest latakia blend I've tried is Cornell & Diehl's Star of the East flake, it's 50% latakia!

I also see you've favorited GLP Key Largo. Have you tried GLP Robusto? It's supposed to be a shade lighter than Key Largo.

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Dondi if you want another heavy Lat blend look into 10 Russians, C&D blends it for another company

7. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Of the G.L. Pease blends I've tried, Odyssey and Charring Cross seem to have the most Latakia in them, but they are lacking in the sweetness department....to me anyways.

Maltese Falcon and Samarra are worth checking out but if you guys are looking for Latakia bombs, then try Odyssey and Charring Cross.

:thumbsu:

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

+1 for Charring Cross.

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

they're not over the top on latakia, but they're stronger than mild, and i like gawith's "squadron leader" and peterson's "old dublin" because they've both got complex enough flavor profiles that its not just "ah. well. latakia then" and there's a bit more to chew on as it were.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Latakia++ in a fascinating, butt kicking blend. Eat something first. You want latakia - here it is:

C&D Mississippi Mud.

This blend, which everyone should smoke once, exemplifies why latakia is first and foremost a condiment tobacco. As others have mentioned latakia seems best when used to enhance the characteristics of other leaves.

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Now that looks like one for the TAD list! :whistle:

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Uh... don't start with a pound.

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Rugs, I looked up Ten Russians on TR, and it sounds awesome. Added it to my shopping list. Thanks for the tip!!

14. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Thanks to this thread I picked up a tin of Rose of Latakia at my local B&M last night. There's a lot of oriental pushing through in addition to the latakia. In fact my initial thought was that the smell reminded me of smoked meat dipped in sweet and sour sauce. It's making me hungry! haha

15. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake Member

A big +1 for Ten Russians, it's loaded with latakia and it's a great smoke.
    An honorable mention for Squadron Leader and Old Dunblin, also great smokes.

I'd like to mention a few others that I've tried that are heavy on the Latakia but are also very interesting and tasty smokes:

4 Noggin's Chipman Hill - Very Good
    John Patton's Latakia Junction - Very Good
    John Patton's Spyglass - Very Good
    Pipes&Cigars Larry's Blend - Excellent and better than Ten Russians IMHO.

16. fuerte91

fuerte91 Member

No, I haven't tried it yet, but I do plan on getting a tin of it, to see how it compared to Key Largo. Is it similar taste, but not as strong, or or is it a different taste?

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

C&D Pirate Cake .... 70 % Latakia ... any more than that and yer not smoking a blend :thumbsu:

18. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I haven't tried Key Largo yet, but based on the descriptions on this list it seems I would like it as is sounds similar to Robusto, which I really like but which I find a bit too heavy on the nicotine for everyday smoking.

19. fuerte91

fuerte91 Member

I just had a bowl of Key Largo, and would definitely say it's not an everyday smoke. Good, pretty strong blend. If I find Robusto, I would like to get it, and i'll let you know the difference.

20. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Thanks! I do have an unopened tin of Abingdon, which GLP states has the highest latakia content of all of his blends. Will share my comments on it too when I get the chance to sample it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.