Latakia blend with little or no sweetness to it.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Degenetron, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Yeah, thats what im looking for.

When first starting out smoking a pipe i was very fond of latakia blends that were somewhat sweet. after a while i drifted more and more over to Vas and Va/Pers and had a long break from latakias.
    Lately i've started to crave some latakia in my life, but the sweetness that a lot of blends have, just doesn't agree with latakia on my palate anymore. The sweetness combined with latakia just seems to completely overwhelm anything else. Tried quite a few from McClelland, SG and MacBaren and they all seem to have this lingering sweetness to them. I get enough of that from my virginias. When i feel like a bowl of latakia im looking for something a bit.. dryer (in the wine sense) or harsher.

Lately opened my first tin of Balkan Sasieni, and that was a step in the right direction. It is the least sweet latakia baccy i have tried to date, but i'd still like something more.. rough. I remember Billy Bud as a rough and somewhat complex tobacco, but i also remember i thought Dunhill Nightcap was similarly rough, although more balanced.. Smoking Nightcap now i stil get a lot more sweetness than i'd like.

Im not necessarily looking for a very strong tobacco that rips out your sinuses and beats the crap outta them.. just a well balanced, latakia heavy blend that lacks the sweetness. Any suggestions?

2. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

You can get straight Latakia at my B&M so I'm sure it's available elsewhere. They have on guy who buys a pound of Latakia and a pound of Perique and mixes it himself. Not my cup of tea, but I've been thinking of getting some Lat and VA and mixing my own. I like the VA sweetness but I'ld like more Lat than I've been getting lately.

3. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Yeah, i've considered getting straight latakia and some other blending tobaccos.. but im no blender.. I like to think of smoking vs. blending as looking at art, vs. making it. Im fairly certian there is a blend i could buy that would be far better than anything i could mix up myself ;) I might be able to get a general descent flavour going, but what makes a good tobacco in my eyes is those little subtle hints of flavour you get.. those make a smoke interesting and enjoyable. And that is far out of my reach as a blender i think.

So yeah, i do apprechiate some complexity in a blend, so a straight latakia is not on the table.

4. user2725

user2725 Active Member

G.L. Pease's Maltese Falcon

5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I too like Maltese Falcon for the Lat and the lack of sweet. BUT, lack of sweet (dumb way to put it) is subjective. I've been smoking some of the sweeter ones so Falcon might not be as dry (wine sense) as I think it is. I do love it.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It is indeed. I found Maltese Falcon offputting because I found it too sweet. :beck:

I will say that it's the "special ingredient", whatever it be, that is probably the culprit and not the latakia itself.

If I were picking a GLP blend that is decidedly not sweet, it would be Charing Cross. It's not only not sweet, it's downright naughty! But in a nice way. :D

7. user2725

user2725 Active Member

That's interesting because it was the opposite for me, I have only smoked a few bowls of each so I might have judged too soon.

8. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Well.. seems i will have to get both those GLP blends to give them a try. Life is hard ;)

Been wondering about his latakia blends for a while now after trying some of the non lats. Triple play and Jackknife plug were both amazing.

9. dmkerr

Isn't it though? :D

If the term "Balkan" has any real meaning, Charing Cross is a balkan blend. This blend could be the most assertive I've ever smoked, from a pure flavor standpoint. So the test will be to see if you like it. I do... and it's still usually too much for me. But at the right time, it's the ONLY blend I want to smoke.

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I'm new to this and comparing Maltese Falcon with what I've smoked so far. I find my perceptions of flavours are changing fairly quickly.

To me, Lat has a sweet note of its own in with the camp fire taste.

I agree with Degenetron, Jacknife plug is wonderful stuff.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

C&D makes some well received latakia blends that contain little that should sweeten it substantially. Some even entirely eschew Virginias, which are the reason most English blends have at least a little sweetness to them.

12. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

C&D Easy Times: Kind of like JKP with Latakia. It's one of the few Latakia blends that I don't find cloyingly sweet. IMHO, the reason most Latakia blends are too sweet is the addition of deer tongue (or tonka, or vanilla), even when not listed among the ingredients.

13. dmkerr

To me as well.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Peterson Old Dublin, or any of the Frog brothers. They all have a bit of sweetness to me.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Old Ironsides from Dan.

I'll send you some with the pipe later, k?

Degenetron and user2725 like this.
  16. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Thanks for the offer sasq, but since tobacco import is a nono here, i dont wanna risk it. I don't know how customs deals with packages containing tobacco should they randomly stop it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they just held the whole thing, pipe included. Gonna order some tobacco soon though, so i'll throw in a tin of old ironsides ;)

17. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

C&D Pirate Kake doesn't taste especially sweet to me.

18. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Active Member

+1 on the Pirate Kake.

SouthBound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.