1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Latakia introduction...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Shane Arnett, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Well... As a relatively new enthusiast, I have yet to approach the world of Lat blends, seeing as it seems to be referred to as smelling somewhat off-putting. I've only had experience with aros and I'm wondering what a good starter would be for a a Lat blend. I don't want to be put off from the start by something wildy strong or pungent. Any thoughts? Any Sutliff Private Stock blends that would be a good starter?... I really like their stuff.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I go with the Frog Morton series from McC......

Mington and Jussto like this.
  3. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

I was def thinking of that. Heard really good things about FMOTT. Best place/site to buy it?

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I'm actually smoking Frog Morton now....Good one to start....
    Try Smokingpiepes.com

Nate likes this.
  5. Nate

Nate Member

I'd give 'Man's Best Friend' a go. It is an older blend's (Barking Dog) match, and should have little bite and be a mellow flavor. 'Sunrise Smoke' is another of their lat blends, but I think it is a bit 'heavier' having lat and turkish. 'Bosphorus Cruise' is a decent one as well. Plus there are a lot of other companies' lat blends that are really good. G.L. Pease's 'Samarra' is pretty good.

Gary and Jesla like this.
  6. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Is there any hassle buying online? Like paypal or anything? (sorry I'm a bit new to buying online. My local Low Bob's and pipe shop has sufficed thus far haha)

7. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Man's Best Friend and their CD blend were at the top of my TAD list.. Ruffino gave them both pretty good reviews. Not sure if CD is really a lat blend though

8. Nate

Nate Member

Naw, just have to pay shipping most times. P&C has free shipping for any orders over $100. Plus they accept PayPal and credit cards, so payment is pretty easy.

Jesla likes this.
  9. Nate

Nate Member

It is, but it has so much else going on. It is more of a robust mixture for flavor, but not just lat.

10. Nate

Nate Member

Lol, Give SmokingPipes.com a go, not sure about the other link ;)

11. Nate

Nate Member

Ha, they both work :)

12. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

+1 on Frog Morton if you haven't bought it yet. And don't let the smell scare ya, it almost did me my first time around, now I love the smell of English blends. :)

+1 on Smokingpipes. Great service, nice products, they sent me a Christmas card. :D

13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Frog Morton was my 1st Lat and I enjoy it to this day. It got me started in the Lat world (which I love).

14. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Presbyterian is the blend that converted me to English blends. Since then, I've tried others such a Balkan Sasieni and Squadron Leader but Presby is still the best IMHO. Try Pembroke if you think you might like a splash of cognac in an English blend.

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'd say Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe (EMP)
    is a great starter English blend. Quite light
    on the latakia (or is it orientals?), and not
    too offensive room note-wise.

16. DanielO

DanielO Member

C&D's Epiphany is light on the lat but tasty. Just sayin....

17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

My first bowl of Latakia was with Mac B - HH Vintage Syrian.. great stuff..

18. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

I think the notion of lats being " off-putting" is misdirected. Some think only of the smell, and that is a bit over exaggerated. If you’re too used to the “pretty” smells of aero tobaccos, then this will be a bit in the other direction, but I wouldn’t say it stinks. It’s different like flowers vs. cedar wood smoke. They both smell good, but they are really different. I was also a bit nervous about the strength of it, but Frog Mortons was the ticket for me. I was blown away at how good it was, not strong, but like savoring a great steak vs. a tiramisu desert. I’ll take the steak any day. Lat blends are now my path forward. I think if it’s a quality tobacco that is blended with expertise then it’s going to be good. Of course it’s all subjective, some people will just not be inclined this way. That said, I also strongly recommend Frog Morton blends for a new enthusiast. My favorite now is Frog Morton On The Town. JG

Nate likes this.
  19. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

If you're wanting a very mild latakia you're looking for a blend containing latakia from Syria.

If you're wanting something more in line with the smell and taste of campfires you're looking for a blend containing latakia from Cypress.

Ol Brokedik.

20. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Well I went to a local pipe shop in Columbus and picked up some Mac B Scottish. Sorta random, but smells pleasant and hopefully smokes well. I'll let you guys know haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.