Latakia sensitivity ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by paintedklown, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

Hey all,

I have a question here. Have any of you heard about pipe smokers with a sensitivity toward Latakia?

I ask because the first time I tried Frog Morton's Cellar, I swore that it made me feel ill. It turned out I was actually getting ill, so I dismissed it as simply that, I was sick.

I later tried Esoterica Penzance, and WOAH! It REALLY hit me HARD. I thought perhaps it was an extreme nic buzz, but when I tried it again, it seemed to negatively affect me from only a few puffs.

Now, flash forward to today. I have been smoking OTC stuff as usual, wanting to save the rest of my FMC tin for a local pipe club meeting this Thursday. Well, I decided that another bowl out of the tin would be ok, and since I hadn't really smoked much FMC this week, I felt like having a bowl.

I loaded up a bowl in my MM Legend, and sure enough...after a few puffs I was feeling the same ill effects I had with the Penzance, except MUCH less severe. I assume it is because FMC probably has less latakia in the blend. :cfsd:

I am not sure what the deal is, but I am really starting to think that I have some weird sensitivity to latakia blends.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, or am I just "off my rocker"? :rolleyes:

YAPPG likes this.
  2. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

No you're not off your rocker. I haven't read of a sensitivity to lat, but you may have one. Although, lat is just a smoked cured oriental and usually dosen't have any of the nic hit s to it. I suspect its something else you are getting that from in the blends. All this is just imho, but it could come from the way the va's are cured, any number of things. To me penzance is the least of everything to me. I'm a big lathead and thats about all the kinds of blends I have smoked for years. I can tell the differences between the two lats, easy, and whenever I get any kind of nic-hit its always because of the va in the blends. I don't always get it, but sometimes it even creaps up on me and hits me smack in the face, lol. Since you revisited it and it wasn't as severe as before, it could be you are either getting used to it or have had a meal before smoking it or any number of reasons. You're sick feeling I suspect is the old-fashond nick-hit. You have been strongly affected by it more than some, I think, because you are fairly new to the tobacco and havent built up much of any resistance to it. I would just let it be till after you have smoked for a while then revisit it. It is quit possable lat blends are just not for you. Just enjoy all the others. Hope this gives you a little bit of help.

Brian Stephen likes this.
  3. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

You migt have an allergy you do not know about. I'm highly allergic to Walnuts or any other form of tree nut. I refuse to even go near Walnut tobacco only because it says it on the label.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I can relate . I honestly I think I have an aversion to soap flavored Aromatics commonly misnamed as Lakelands . The term Sensitivity ... well , I guess I have an aversion to that as well having lived through the 90's when PC was being forced down our throats and that word was used .. hyper like . Just for the record ,

Aversion ... is something that originates from within ... the feeling I get when I taste soap [ your case Lat ]
    Adverse ... usually applies to situation
    Averse .. is usually applied to describe a persons attitude

I have an aversion to soap [ or Lat ] flavored aros

Forcing me to smoke soap [ or Lat ] will cause and adverse situation where as something will be projected that isn't pretty

After said projectile has projected , my attitude will be quite averse [ disgust ]

I like those words !

The word Sensitive has way to many connotations attached to it , in my mind

Thuber88 and Tsal like this.
  5. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

Sensitive. Allergy. Potato. Potato.

Coastal Bend and Thuber88 like this.
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

Latakia is not really loaded with nicotine. It is usually the otehr tobaccos composing the blend/mixture.
    But latakia has a very unique aroma and taste. And that is, most probably, what you are reacting to.
    And yes, there is such a think as sensitivity towards latakia. It exists towards Périque and Dark Fired Kentucky as well.
    If you really want to perist venturing into latakia blends, then start with something smooth and mild like Rattray's Highland Targe, which has VA/Black CA/OR and a whisper of Latakia. The nicotine level is also low and that tobacco has one of the most awesome taste on the market.
    Rattray's red Rapparee has also a whisper of Latakia in it and is another grand blend for those who are sensitive to nicotine.

7. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Or just smoke virginia's,vapers and vaburs as I do.I occasionally enjoy some FMC,Penzance or Red Rapperee.....but only rarely.Latakia dries my mouth out horribly bad for some reason.Not a prob because I prefer the alternatives anyway.Never had anything with latakia in it that could hold a candle to Davidoff Flake Medallions or Orlik's Golden Sliced.

Ron

Smithy likes this.
  8. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

This would be my general feeling as well.

Frog's Cellar wouldn't be considered a heavy hitter to most experienced pipemen, but I could definitely feel the nic hit towards the bottom of my first bowl. And I have quite a tolerance for Lady N.
    However, I know a guy who breaks out in a rash when he just touches Latakia. He works in a local B&M and wears gloves when measuring out bulk Latakia to customers. Funny ol' world, ain't it?

YAPPG likes this.
  9. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

Thank you for your input everyone.

I did some looking and found that FMC contains virginia, and latakia. Panzance contains virginia, latakia, oriental, and turkish tobaccos.

I don't think that the problematic tobacco is the virginia, because Half & Half and Carter Hall are comprised of nothing but burley and virginia tobaccos, I smoke both of them with no issue at all.

I suppose the oriental may not agree with me either, and therefore explaining why the Panzance had a more pronounced negative effect on me. I certainly hope that isn't the case however, as the multitude of tobacco choices is a big part of the pipe smoking allure for me. For now, I will just avoid blends with latakia, and purposely try to find an oriental blend to try, to see how it treats me.

YAPPG likes this.
  10. Tate

Tate Member

I wouldn't sweat it too much if you don't get along with latakia. I won't smoke it anymore. Everytime I smoke a blend with a latakia in it, I end up getting tongue bite. Don't know exactly why, but it always happens, even after just a few puffs, so I swore it off.

I've found that even with Latakia blends out of the equation, there is still a vast world of tobacco to go through. I haven't even begun to touch on the options yet. Unless you just truly love the taste of it, I wouldn't be too worried. Your options are still wide open.

11. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

I referenced Red Rapperee above as having latakia in it......I was wrong.I meant to type Nightcap.As a matter of fact Red Rapperee may be just what your looking for.Loaded with orientals and quite tasty IMO.Or as I said above....I much prefer virginia's,vapers and vaburs to any other baccy's.My latest find is a straight virginia from G.L.Pease called Montgomery,simply delicious.GLP Triple Play,virginia's,kentucky and perique......another delicious alternative to latakia and orientals.

Ron

12. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

Poo! I was doing some looking and Dunhill Nightcap and My Mixture 965 both contain latakia. So does Tewksbury & Company Nosferatu. NOOOOOO!!! I was really looking forward to trying all of them as well. :(

On the other hand, it does look like there are plenty of other blends that I can try that do not contain latakia. It looks like the popular blends such as Escudo Navy Deluxe, Irish Slices, Nougat PS-24, Hobbit's Weed, Irish Flake, Luxury Blend, Sherlock Holmes, University Flake, De Luxe Navy Rolls, Early Morning Pipe, Elizabethan Mixture, 1-Q, and many others are all without latakia.

I don't think I will be running out of options too soon, but it does kind of bug me that I can't smoke some of the more popular blends. Oh well...it is what it is. :puffy:

YAPPG likes this.
  13. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Yes, there are tons and tons of other blends out there to have fun with. That is interesting about the lat, tho. I'm wondering if its just the cyprian and not the syrian. The syrian is excelent lat and milder, too. you may be ok with that and not the cyprian that's smoke cured. Anyway, good luck and above all just enjoy what you find.

Brian Stephen likes this.
  14. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I enjoy lat blends and Latakia Flake. The latter gives me a slight sore throat if I smoke it too often. Hope you find the blend(s) that agree with you.

YAPPG likes this.
  15. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Actually, Red Rapparee does contain a small amount of Latakia. So does Presbyterian Mixture. There's been a huge debate for years over this, but Kohlhase & Kopp list Latakia in their blend description of RR.

Paintedclown, I'd suggest that you give RR and Presbyterian a try. Dunhill's Standard Mixture Mild (Mellow) is mostly Virginias with a bit of Turkish (Oriental) and a teeny bit of Cyprian Latakia. I recommend it, too.
    If you're interested in trying RR and Standard Mild, I'd be happy to shoot you a sample. May have some Presby somewhere as well.

Smithy, rondel65 and YAPPG like this.
  16. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

for my first 45 or so years i absolutely could not smoke latakia--i would get a tremendous headache--i just swore off it--
    about 3 or 4 years ago i tried it again--nothin'--felt just fine--still don't like bombs, but have no problem at all today--
    body chemistry and the way it changes over time is unexplainable (at least for me)

rondel65 and Brian Stephen like this.
  17. Dr Dover

Dr Dover Member

Though I have tried many times over the years, I have never gotten use to Latakia. Even small amounts will turn my stomach. I can not say if it is the smell or the taste which causes the reaction. I am a long time pipe smoker and enjoy aro's and VA, but can't do the Latakia and it's ok. If you have a sensitivity to a blend or tobbaco, acknowledge it and research other blends. You'll spend many years of enjoying pipe smoking. Everytime I think I have tried them all, they blend something new. You "rocker" is fine.

18. User4408

User4408 Active Member

I've definitely heard of this before. It happened to me one day after years of being a latakia hound. That smoky fragrance all of a sudden started getting up my nose and causing sinus havoc. And the feeling of being ill, like I was getting the flu. Fortunately it didn't happen with any other leaf.

And no, you're definitely not off your rocker. Your body has its reasons. Like YAPPG and the other posters advised, you might try easing your way back into latakia in the future. You might even find that tiny amounts of it (like you get in MB Plumcake and Latakia Blend) are not only delicious but well tolerated by your body.

19. paintedklown

paintedklown Member

That's odd, developing a sensitivity after smoking it for years. However, I have heard (but never verified) that your bodies chemistry changes somewhat every seven years or so, and if that's true, it could very well be an explanation of why this happened to you.

I was also informed that latakia is created using oriental leaf, and processing (I believe it's smoke cured) it to take on it's qualities. This has me curious (and worried) about weather or not I will have the same aversion to oriental blends as well. Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to sample an oriental blend, to "test the waters" a bit.

In the meantime, I know that burley, virginia, and cavendish are perfectly ok with me (I have smoked plenty of these 3 tobaccos), and I assume that the others will be ok as well. If not, I will simply have to limit my purchases. Even then, I think there will still be plenty of tobacco blends to keep me from growing bored with pipe smoking. To be quite honest, I think I would probably be ok with smoking Carter Hall for the rest of my life if need be. :thu2:

20. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Environmental factors can be huge.

My wife and I traveled a lot during that period. We lived in two different parts of the US, as well as in two different countries in Europe. Changes in vegetation and humidity can necessitate a significant adjustment period. I suspect that's what triggered it. I had the fewest symptoms in the rainy overcast regions of northern Europe, and the most here in the desert southwestern US.

I doubt you'll have any issues with normal sun-cured oriental leaf (e.g. Xanthi, Smyrna, etc). It's the fire-curing that causes my grief with latakia. Oddly, other fire-cured tobaccos like Kentucky cause no problems at all. I love them.

You simply have to listen to what your body is telling you. When problems arise, just back off for a while and reintroduce things slowly. No need to be gun shy. In almost all cases you'll be just fine.

paintedklown likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.