1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest pipe smoking purchase?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I don't know if it's the same blend you got but I'm a big fan of C&D Byzantium. Good stuff.

OldSouled65 likes this.
  2. Albert

Albert Active Member

Im pretty sure its not C&D becasue I talked to the owner a few weeks ago and he was just setting up his account with C&D and didnt have any of their product in the store. Still no C&D stuff there yet. Based on the description on T&R and by the look/smell im pretty positive its the Altadis Byzantium

Buckshot and OldSouled65 like this.
  3. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I really need to order and try that DH emp, I love
    Nightcap and 965 is pretty decent.

Svart likes this.
  4. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Bingo!

5. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Old Joe Krantz
    Briar Fox
    1 lb of night train
    4 pouches of troost special cavendish.

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Yup, 522 is an excellent mid-strength Oriental! Fantastic appearance (like a "chessboard" contrast) and wonderful aroma of sweetness and incense notes, flavor reminded me of salted caramel - first time that ever happened to me! Initially it seemed bland, but then salted caramel flavors started to show up. Flavor gets more intense and peaks halfway through the bowl, but then faded away towards the end (for me). This is a great way to savor Yenidje in a balanced blend - the Syrian latakia and the virginia play complimentary supporting roles, never overpowering the Yenidje.

Still, I much prefer 622 :ohyh:

Muddy41, jpberg and Mount Mandolin like this.
  7. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Well said; this mirrors my experience with it. Flavor doesn't seem to tend to fade on me toward the end though. I also noticed a really nice sweetness, like you said, although I don't remember pinpointing it as salted caramel. I'll have to keep that in mind and see if I can notice it. The natural sweetness is fantastic though. Definitely a blend I'll be ordering more of.

I don't know that I prefer #622, as it's not exactly a direct comparison. I do love #622 though, that's for sure. :puffy:

Dondi likes this.
  8. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

I ordered a senior reamer, a tin of Frog Morton, some shank brushes from Iwan Ries a couple weeks back, upon getting the package the reamer wasn't in there, I called, they put the reamer in the mail that day, just received the reamer and a little "sorry for the inconvenience" gift of pipe tobacco.

This wasn't a big deal to begin with, but it says a lot about how much they value their customers...

Mount Mandolin and Dondi like this.
  9. MaSTi

MaSTi Member

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

11. MaSTi

MaSTi Member

I don't get it until tomorrow!! LOL

12. Svart

Svart Member

The worst thing that you can ever do in pipe smoking is to start with a cheap pipe and cheap tobacco.
    The reason is that a cheap pipe will not smoke properly, and that Brylon thin wall bowl will get extremely hot in no time, so most probably you will hold the pipe by the stem.
    Cheap tobacco will burn hot, give you tungbite, and pretty soon you will give up on pipe smoking only because of that mistake that you made and purchased a cheap pipe and cheap tobacco.

I know that probably you can't wait till you get that package, but I know that it will be a true disappointment.
    I'm very sorry to tell you this, but I know a lot of people who did the same mistake.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

13. MaSTi

MaSTi Member

Thanks for the advice. I was just asking about the Brylon.... Good to know it burns hot. I'll look into another pipe right away! :)

14. Svart

Svart Member

Like I said, it is a cheap pipe, the briar is of the worst quality possible and the bowl walls are too thin.
    If you are low on budget for the moment, you can always start with a corncob pipe. Cobs are great smokers once they are broken in.

Dondi likes this.
  15. MaSTi

MaSTi Member

Meh, money is money. I'm of the thought, I'd rather pay now and get quality then cheap it out and keep waiting for something better. What are the best bang for your buck(other than a cob)? My only preference would be that it'd be bent and preferably black in color. LOL I like the classic look as opposed to the rustic types.

N3M0 likes this.
  16. conroygc

conroygc Member

Consider a Peterson:
    [​IMG]

N3M0 likes this.
  17. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Dondi likes this.
  18. Westham1969

Westham1969 Member

Just got some Frog Morton on the Town via a trade and love it, so also bought some Frog. Morton's Cellar. I like that blend even more! Also, got some Nording Hunter blends, but have only tried the Labrador and Beagle. Good too

19. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I bought some Frog Morton On The Bayou last week. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

TedVig likes this.
  20. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Just Got mine in the other day too I am liking this stuff !:th1:

So I ordered some of this too and can't wait !

Tortuga likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.