Latest pipe smoking purchase?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svart

Svart Member

I just love Dunhill flake

2. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I enjoyed Smoker's Pride BC enough to want to try the vanilla, cherry and whiskey varieties, but I've read mixed reviews and I don't want to grab 12oz bags of each. So I ordered 1 oz. samples of each for about 2$ an ounce. I love my primo tobies but I'll be buying a house and marrying within a year, and I'll need to make a shift towards economy tobacco. It seems like these four varieties can be mixed in different ways for some decent results and increased variety. The price is certainly right.

3. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

I don't think you have to compromise quality just because your on a budget, maybe not buy tins anymore except on special occasions, but not quality. I can find FVF for >3.00 oz locally. There are many Altadis blends out there that most can attest to as a great bang for your buck. I would ask Ruffingold, he seems to know the altadis blends pretty well. do some searching, hell lanes 1Q is awesome, buy some cherry and experiment. but thats my .02:)

4. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Quite agreed :) My current favorites (the Boswell aros, Shortcut to Mushrooms) are $2.70-3.25/oz., so still quite affordable, but my local pickups need to be cheaper. Another part of my problem is that I'm new enough to the pastime that I'm eager to try as many blends and pipes as I can, which can be bad for my wallet ;) Got to be sensible and stick by a simple everyday routine, and start occasionally treating myself, rather than being an impulse buyer and binge smoker. :p:

HazyDat620 likes this.
  5. Russ

Russ Member

1965 Dunhill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

me and u seem to think alike, u should check out the FNG/FOG that was the best move I've made in a while.

7. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Today was a great day for pipes here. The following new pipes arrived from 3 different places: A David Jones basket poker which is beautiful, smokes really well and is very interesting looking; a small Peterson System bent apple with Zippo pipelighter, from Ebay; a small Dunhill #2303 Chestnut which is the most exquisite small pipe I have. Sorry no pictures, I am having problems with the digital Canon 5D2. Not such a good day for smoking though. I got a notice from the c0-0p board trying to clamp down on smoking. I am in for a battle, and I no longer enjoy battles.

Old Codger and RTOdhner like this.
  8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Oh man, I like that! Very nice pipes (and other goodies). Kudos!

Picked a Savinelli Roma 209 KS sandblasted brandy, and a really nice Edwards (handmade & oil cured) smooth full bent brandy w/acrylic stem. 2 tins of Astleys #44.

10. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Wellington

[​IMG]

or

Dr Grabow Omega

[​IMG]

Which one should i get ???

any sugesstions

Svart likes this.
  11. Svart

Svart Member

I'm not sure about Wellington, but Omega smokes great. I always keep the Omega at my office, and it has given me many great smokes.

12. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

This pipe was a nasty mess when I got it. It was caked shut and I honestly have no idea how the owner ever smoked it in that state. Even the stem was gummed closed. I tried to clean it, but it was too much for me, so I sent it to Walker Briar Works. I'd say he did a damn fine job!

[​IMG]

Mount Mandolin, Old Codger and WyoBob like this.
  13. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I finally got the camera working. These pipes all arrived yesterday & all smoke well. I removed most of the stain from the Pete bent apple, inside the bowl and stem, before smoking, and the first smoke was pretty good. The billiard is a Dunhill, the basket poker by David Johnson.[​IMG]

Old Codger, MainePipe, Svart and 2 others like this.
  14. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Lovely MM Country Gentleman arrived today. Classy little cob, can't wait to put some Bear Blend or English Luxus into it. Perhaps tomorrow evening after a bit of supper and some coffee. :)

15. conroygc

conroygc Member

I bought a bunch of cheapo pipes on eBay, and today I finished cleaning some of them up. Paid between $5 and $20 for each of them.
    Westminster Algerian Briar, made in France. Can't find any info on the maker
    [​IMG]

Moorgate, a Comoy second. Love this one so far, smokes great.
    [​IMG]

Colossals Custom Made, made in Italy. Can't find any info on this one either. Lots of fills, but some pretty grain too.
    [​IMG]

And a nice Dr Grabow Savoy.
    [​IMG]

dwaugh, Old Codger and olddog like this.
  16. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Skrymr likes this.
  17. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

This arrived in the mail today. I've been searching ebay for 2 1/2 years looking for a GBD like the one I squished 40 some years ago with a CAT front end loader. This is that pipe. It wasn't smoked very hard at all. A very easy clean up. I does have a slight ghost but I think a few bowls of LNF will chase it away. I smoked the first bowl (LNF) this afternoon. It smokes great.!

WyoBob

[​IMG]

Old Codger, browny, Svart and 3 others like this.
  18. user3221

user3221 Active Member

[​IMG]

Svart likes this.
  19. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Another fine job by Dave!

20. browny

browny Member

Now that's a nice pipe, look after this one eh lol

WyoBob likes this.
Thread Status: