Lauren Colby Smoking Article

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MakDragon, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I found this article, actually a book, on line when I was searching for the "dangers" of smoking. I saved it on my desktop and just recently printed it out and read it on my from porch on Saturday whilst enjoying a cup of coffee and a bowl of 5110 in my Peterson Aran.
    All I can say, is that the article should be read by everyone before they start discussing the dangers of smoking or the lack there of.
    I liken the article to a video produced by a number of learned scientists from around the globe refuting the Global Warming claims epitomized by Al Gore's movie "An Inconvenient Truth".
    I am not a conspiracy theory nut, but as my father used to say, "Just because you are paranoid, doesnt mean they're not out to get you".
    It is a powerful article/book and after finishing it I have a new understanding of the war on tobacco. I recommend it VERY STRONGLY.
    Here is the link: http://www.lcolby.com/index.html

IrishRover likes this.
  2. ddandb

ddandb Member

Can't get the link to work.

3. ddandb

ddandb Member

.. and now it does work... Sorry.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Thanks for the link!

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've spent my lunch hour reading info on this link, and I've had a lifetime of reading info provided by the anti-smokers. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I have personally seen, on more than one occassion, the health problems caused by dipping, smoking cigarettes, and smoking cigars. While I don't think the problems are as wide-spread as the Antis would like us to believe, I have to admitt that I have seen them first hand. As a former cigarette smoker, I know that I felt like crap when I smoked them, coughed up all manner of mutant lung oysters when I was quitting, and felt much better after I quit smoking. Those lung oysters were some nasty looking beasties, and I have no doubt they were spawned by the toxins spewed by the cigarettes. I also know just how addictive those cigarettes were. My personal experience with cigarette smoking is shared by many former cigarette smokers.

However, I certainly do not believe the the second-hand smoke argument. The AMA, itself, makes contradictatory statements on the effects of second-hand smoke. Frinstance, the AMA does not give any credence to the claim that a positive urinalysis test can be the result of second-hand marijuana smoke unless the inhaler was actually involved in "shotgunning." I know this, since no community supervision or correctional agency in North America will accept the validity of a "second-hand smoke" claim when an offender tests positive for the use of cannabinoids (or any other drug), and if challenged in court we rely on the AMA findings to support the justification for any sanctions that may result from a positive urinalysis test. While the AMA refutes claims that second-hand marijuana smoke can cause positive urinalysis tests, it supports claims that second-hand tobaco smoke is hazardous and can cause medical problems. If the AMA does not buy into the second-hand marijuana smoke argument, how does it buy into the second-hand tobaco smoke argument? I'm not a scientist, but I find it hard to believe that tobacco is that radically different than marijuana. I believe that this is a case of politcally-based "science."

I do not believe that pipe smoking poses any significant health risks, and I don't believe the Antis have any real numbers to support their claims - yet no body actually challenges them on it. There is no direct contact with the tobacco, and for the most part we do not inhale. So, for cancer to develop in a pipe smoker it would have to be caused by the smoke coming in contact with the lining of the mouth. These would have to be some serious toxins indeed, and I simply don't believe that a toby such as OGS (or even a heavy English blend) produces toxins on that level. However, since the antis lump all tobacco into the same category as cigarette tobacco and dip/chew we wind up getting the shaft. And even in the case of these other types of tobacco, I think it has more to do with the stuff they spray on it than the actual tobacco itself. Tobacco, from planting to processing, is hit with a ton of chemicals that include insecticides, fingicides, fertilizers, and various chemical tratments to enhance flavor and to keep it from drying-out. I think that these are the real culprits, and for the most part I think these chemicals are unneccessary since mankind managed to produce, sell, and consume an abundance of toby before these goodies were thrown into the mix.

I think real money could be made and pipe smokers spared from the fury of the Antis if a company offered 100% organic pipe tobacco, and did not charge an obscene price for that product. I'd be willing to wager a paycheck that long range medical studies would easily prove that organic pipe tobacco poses no greater a cancer risk then breathing the air around us.

Gun owners have managed to unite to successfully fight the Anti-gun lobbies by being able to debunk their "statistics" that showed that either a jurisdiction permitting concealed carry saw an increase in gun related violence or lawlessness, or that households where guns were kept were at greater risk for gun-related trajedy than in households that did not have guns. The numbers they used were examples of pure fiction or poor statistical modelling, and eventually they got caught at it, were exposed, and have become largely irrelevant as a result. We pipe smokers need to start doing the same - unite and challenge. (Unfortunately, we cannot allow the big tobacco companies to support us or we will just look like their little minions).

MakDragon likes this.
  6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I've posted this link here as well. Probably
    just buried a few pages back somewhere.
    Great read.

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Excellent review RTO! I agree whole heartedly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.