1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Left my pipes in the sun. Look at this mess!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by hagbard, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hagbard

hagbard Member

So I smoked two pipes this morning. Then while I was working I thought to myself, "It's sunny and breezy. Maybe I should put the pipes out on the porch.".
    Look at the results.

[​IMG]

The stem of my meer plain went flat! When I picked it up I immediately realized what was going on and managed to bend it back a little.

WTF do I do about this!? Can I gently put it in front of a heat gun and just bend it until it's normal again? I don't want to collapse the damn thing!

Now check this out!

[​IMG]

The damn tenon came out of the stem! WTF is that!? I didn't even know they were separate pieces. There was a bunch of sticky **** in there and I didn't care if it was adhesive and I could just put it back together and let it cool. It smelled like bigfoot's ass so I wiped it all off. For the record, this is the pipe that I was having so much difficulty with before, and I finally got the damn thing smokable. What kind of adhesive is used in such an application?

WTF? :dunno:

The stems were not attached at the time of the baking.

2. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

If you bend it back make sure you jam a pipe clean in there or else the airway will close up. I would try hot water first. I doubt you have a sand / hot box at your disposal. If you want to give it a try, most eyeglass shops have a sand box for bending temples on frames. Maybe they can help you out. Sorry, I know it SUCKS!!!!

3. Rider

Rider Member

hey, dont talk about sas's ass that way :dunno:

the bent step i would use a candle/flame lamp/zippo, a heatgun, or boiling water.

good luck :punk:

4. Stoked

Stoked Member

Regarding your briar... no problem! Get the part out of the shank and you can epoxy it back into the stem. Use J-B Weld. You can use either the Quick JB (sets in 5 minutes), which is good for 300F or the regular JB (sets in 17 hours) which is good for 600F. Both have amazing strength and as you can see are heat resistant. I've used JB to repair a cracked meer and it works like a charm.

Use this epoxy and your stem will turn out BETTER than new!

5. hagbard

hagbard Member

Eh? Is that how it's done? I'll God damn make one! Gimme a description on how it operates. I know about these things from fleeting encounters in the past with eye glasses but have never seen the contraption or had any kind of information on one.

EDIT:

I was on the phone for 2 hours in the time it took me to type this response.

Thanks for the info on the briar. I was thinking about using 5 minute epoxy. I'll get some JB weld. Actually I might already have some.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I have a Savinelli almost identical to that one. I too didn't know the
    stem was a two piece until I saw yours, and looked closer at mine.
    Good luck with these, hagbard!

dp

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

8. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

JB Weld is excellent stuff. Works with everyting.

9. hagbard

hagbard Member

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Well I got out the heat gun and set it on on the table on one side of me and a bowl of water on the other. The ground from 14 AWG Romex fit down the stem pretty snug so I slipped some of that in there to help prevent collapse. Heating it only took about 45 seconds. I bent it and used the case as a guide. It's fine now. All in all it took about 10 minutes including assembling the materials (i.e. heat gun, wire, bowl of water, etc.) to get the job done.

Good as new now. No buffing needed.

Now I'm off to the beer store which happens to be in the same lot as AutoZone, where I'm picking up some JB Weld.

:thumbsu:

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I'm a sucker for a happy ending, hagbard. Glad you were able to cure the bend.

11. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Good to see you got it fixed, but I'm really glad you posted this problem here before I did something similar.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

The second pipe has a delrin tenon. Many carvers use them (myself included) rather than turning the lucite or vulcanite stem. It makes for a tight yet smooth fitting connection. Just glue it back in place.

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Uh Oh, now Hag is gonna show up with a pipe you can actually smoke around the corner :jump:

:woohoo:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

edit: I've done that but the pipes were in my car. A duo of meers in a single case. The short one straightened like yours. The long one didn't move much. Still haven't straightened the short one yet. I tried boiling water, that was not hot enough. Needed the "hot sand" treatment or Hag's heat gun, no wonder I couldn't do it! Great work Hag! Now, onto that briar............

14. hagbard

hagbard Member

Brair is all done. Everything is back to normal now. Nearly **** myself though. My two favorite pipes!

And what's this corner business? Is this some cultural metaphor I'm not privy too since I'm from the north? Around the corner? Is that some homosexual connotation? I live in the gay capital of the universe so out of habit everything I don't understand I assume is something gay. :icq_online:

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Well, I wouldn't walk into a crowd of guyz and say out loud that you've got a heat gun.........may make some of 'em bow down on their kneez....... :startle:

NO, I was just saying you may end up taking your heat gun and making all sorts of bends and loops in your heat sensitive stems.......at least the ones that bend.

Or, you could use it as a "pick-up line", telling some HOT lasse that your stem used to be straight but now with a bit of heat, it's bent just the right amount.............. :whistle:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.