Letting the tobacco breathe

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Hunter Smith, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter Smith

Hunter Smith Member

What's the rule of thumb on this? how long should I leave my tin open a crack to truly enjoy the flavor? I'm sure this is subjective to the type of tobacco, but I couldn't really find much after a forums search. The type of tobacco in question is Burley, Virginia, Black Cavendish and Cyprian Latakia mixture.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

.....'til it's at or close to the dryness you most prefer.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  3. KevinP

KevinP Member

Many people like to dry their tobacco out first (I don't particularly), but actually letting it breathe as you would a wine? Not necessary.

If you want to let it dry out, just dry out enough for the current bowl. Don't leave your tin open and exposed to the air.

4. Hunter Smith

Hunter Smith Member

Thanks good sirs

5. user0003

Results speak for themselves.......letting it breath will increase the flavor.

Not Necessary???? Well no, but it does work.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Member

So is this something you do when you first open a tin or every time you go to it?

7. user0003

First opened.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Certain blenders' tins...SG and McClelland immediately come to mind, really benefit from popping the lid and exposing the whole lot to air. SG's tend to be soup sandwich in the tin, and many McC's offerings are overtly vinegary. To each his own on how best to equalize the proper moisture level they like, but it is quite common to hear of piper's 'getting back' to those tins...hours, days, or even weeks after the fact.

9. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Try a "drying tobacco" search. Some air time really benefits certain tobacco's. I always lay out what I'm gonna smoke for at least 15-20 minutes, you'll usually get enhanced flavor!

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Tobacco that has been cooped up for long periods of time usually needs to breathe, in my experience. The longer it has sat unopened in the tin or jar, the more breathing time. Tobacco seems to "dumb down" over time. When I crack a mason jar full of aged tobacco, it never tastes like I think it should until it has at least a half hour of exposure to air. I've found the average tin needs less time.

I would guess there is some science to this but I have no idea what it is. It just works. Latakia mixtures in particular need this breathing time.

jpberg likes this.
  11. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

My thought is that tobacco has been crammed in that tin for too long, the last thing it wants to do is stay in there with no friends. I get it out of there quick and introduce it to some nice fellows named Bowl and Fire.

Jesla likes this.
  12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

What Mr. Kerr said. After I break the seal on a tin of McC #14, I replace the plastic cover and leave it alone for upwards of a month, then dump all of the tobacco on a sheet of paper for a few minutes just to let it get some air before returning it to the tin.
    I don't do that with all tobaccos, but as a rule I'll wait a week after cracking the seal on anything.

Jesla and Ol Brokedik like this.
  13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

jpberg turned me on to this. And it DOES work!

Ol Brokedik.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.