Licorice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Direwolf, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Direwolf

Direwolf Member

I'm a licorice fiend. What toby(s) out there would you recomend that has a nice noticble hint of licorice in it?

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

M79.

User3940 and Preacher1611 like this.
  3. olddog

olddog Member

I've never tried it, but Ramsgate may work also.

4. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

Doesn't Half and Half have an anise flavor??

5. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Solani Aged Burley Flake.

6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

You are an evil, evil man...

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. Preacher1611

The only tobacco I've ever smoked that had a good licorice flavor is actually a cigar: Avanti. Try those, I've been wanting to try smoking those in a pipe and haven't got around to it as of yet...

8. Direwolf

Direwolf Member

Gwashoppa used googlefoo that one was never considered

9. Preacher1611

I might just have to pick up a box of those tomorrow, I'll be by the B&M anyway so I'll give 'em a try.

10. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Hey, there are people out there, even on this forum, that like or at least do not mind Mixture 79. I've never tried it myself, but I've heard it has a licorice flavor to it. And, I would try it, if I found it.

User4408 and Preacher1611 like this.
  11. Preacher1611

I gave all mine to Darkly or I'd torture send you some...

M79 actually smells good when you take the cellophane off the box, then you open the pouch and your all eewww... but you say to yourself; "Self, you thought Latakia smelled nasty, then you smoked it and found out that the worse Lat. smells the better it tastes. This stuff could be the same." Then you smoke it and after you've dumped the bowl/ruined your cob your all :puke: But, I look at M79 this way, most everybody hates it, but there are those out there that like it, so the experiment of trying it is worth it just to see. Seriously though, licorice flavor, Avanti cigars, awesome!

nesta likes this.
  12. Direwolf

Direwolf Member

The soap flavors most of the reveiws referenced really turned me off. maybe one day on a wild kick and a garage sale cob or something.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  13. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I've never had it but Esoterica's Blackpool is supposed to have a licorice element to it. TR's description "Perfectly blended hot pressed dark and Golden Virginias, jet-black and shiny with natural oils. Topped with a dash of licorice extract. This thoroughly satisfying tobacco has an English pedigree with marvelous smoking characteristics."

Stonewall and Preacher1611 like this.
  14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I smoke Blackpool and find it to have a licorice hint amongst its flavors. It's nice but subtle to me.

ruralhipster and Monkeyshine like this.
  15. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Although Mixture #79 smells like licorice in the pouch it actually tastes like soap when you smoke it. If you do decide to try it be warned that it will ghost your pipe so badly that an alcohol soak is the only way to eradicate it. Some of the Esoterica blends have anise flavor in them and, IMO, they are fairly decent.

16. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

It did for me. I'm not a fan of licorice, so it was a turn off for me.

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I N T E R V E N T I O N... we have a cry for help here. We've got to save Smokey Tom from hisself. The poor twisted bastage is off his rocker! (Someone go check his medicine cabinet to see if there is any Paladin in there... this might be serious).

Smokey Tom likes this.
  18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It's been mentioned before that a few Esoterica blends are said to be flavored with anise and/or licorice. I haven't tried any of the ones which say they have it, but I've been meaning to because licorice is my favorite candy apart from maybe horehound or dark chocolate.

M79....I don't recommend trying it. At all. I did not notice any licorice flavor, but I could literally only stand to smoke it for about half a minute.

I didn't ever find an anise/licorice flavor in Half and Half, either the oooooooold tin I scored on ebay (I oughta dig out that jar, it's been a while...) or the Pinkerton stuff. Haven't tried the new stuff. Some people say it's there, but I never picked up on it. There's something decidedly -different- about H&H, I'll say that much, but I've never noticed licorice.

I do think there is a hint of it in Granger, but only a hint. It's much more nutty than licorice-y.

Avanti cigars.....Avanti! Nothing like em. Preacher is right on the mark here. Forget the pipe...if you want some cool, sweet licorice turned up to eleven, get yourself a box of Avanti cigars. They're cheap - they should run maybe 6 or 7 dollars for a pack of 5, but it will depend on local taxes in part. They're dry cured cigars, so if you've never had something like that, understand they will be different from other types of cigars, not only because they are flavored. They're strong, dry as a bone, ugly as the back of Ruffinogold's dog (apparently), and they are cheap....but man alive, if you want a pleasant smoke with a strong taste of licorice, look no further. If you "snork" them, your sinuses will be cleared.

I don't know how menthol cigarettes are so popular. Anise is clearly the superior tobacco flavoring agent....

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I bet if you left one in a humidor long enough to actually soften a little and then cut it finely, it would be a pleasant tobacco to blend in with, say, Irish Flake or something.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  20. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Tom, I think you may have misunderstood.
    I think what you heard was "it has a flavor like licking ass" not "licorice".
    An honest mistake. Could've happened to any of us.

Smokey Tom and Preacher1611 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.