Lighter English Blends?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Fbones24, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I have been huffin and puffin on mostly Virginias lately and wanted to go back to exploring some English blends. I do not love heavy Latakia, that much I know.

Right now, the two blends in my rotation are Lancer's Slices and Squadron Leader. I feel these are lighter, balanced blends that are easy to smoke any time.

Can anyone recommend some other English Blends that are balanced and light? Does this make sense?

Alan Dye likes this.
  2. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

For me a light English blend----Frog Morton---Or should I say the Frog Morton series. Also I have been through some Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. To me they are not heavy laiden with Latakia, but have a touch. To me anyhow these are light blends.

3. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

4. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

5. Waino

Waino Active Member

Start with Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (I have smoked several tins and now I heard there is latakia), continue with GermainĀ“s Special Latakia Flake (smooth, not "muddy") then W. O. Larsen No. 20 (getting closer the Truth).

Alan Dye likes this.
  6. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

The Golden Leaf in Minneapolis has a great blend called Shipwreck. They do take orders over the phone. I think there are even a few reviews of that one on TobaccoReviews if you're curious.

7. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

I know you said you prefer flakes, but Esoterica Margate is a "lighter" very balanced blend with some latakia. If you like Squadron Leader I think you will also like Early Morning Pipe and Margate.

Alan Dye likes this.
  8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I think you're already past mild english if you like Lancers Slices and Squadron Leader. Both great choices. You should enjoy everything else mentioned.

Alan Dye, Coda and Phatmandu like this.
  9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I would rate Squadron Leader and Lancers Slices as pretty strong on the Latakia. If you are looking for something a bit lighter, I would try an American English blend. I would start with one of the various Revelation matches (Sutliff's R-Blend, C&D's Epiphany, etc), as well as things like Walnut, and even Holiday Excursion. You could also try making your own. Just add some PA or SWR or something like that to an english blend...

10. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Hmmmm...I guess I did not actually mean "mild" when I posted this. I guess my wording was confusing. I definitely don't like Lat bombs like Pirate Kake. I feel that Lancer's Slices is so balanced and I get that impression from SL too. I guess I was looking for blends that are not Lat dominant and have that balance.

Alan Dye and Ol Brokedik like this.
  11. muddler

muddler Active Member

GLP Chelsea Morning in a great one. You'll probably enjoy C&D Plantation Evening too.

12. Alan Dye

Alan Dye Member

I felt exactly the same way about those two blends. I'm also looking for something similarly balanced. I've just ordered some SG Balkan Flake, will let you know how it compares when it arrives. I also like Germain's special latakia flake.

13. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I would love to try Germain's special Latakia Flake but it seems to be hard to find. I think I'm going to try to get my hands on some Margate as mentioned above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.