Lighting,And bulk tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Flashcrashbash, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

I am thinking of ordering and pound of tobacco because i cant pass up 35$ for 16ounces of tobaccy and im wondering why is it so cheap? what the hell is wrong with it? and is it any good? also does any one have any tips for smoking outside on a slightly breezy day i treid smoking a cigarette outside once with a match (i only use matches in a pipe) i went threw half a book without a light

2. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

Which brand? For a boutique blender like Esoterica or Pease, $35 for a half-pound isn't out of the ordinary. And as far as lighting a pipe outside? Make sure the bowl is packed nice and tight and cover the match. Stick to wood matches rather than the cruddy book stuff. Better yet, a good pipe light like an Old Boy won't screw up your pipe or ill-flavor your tobacco.

3. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

Captain black white but first im ordered 2 ounces of bulk to see if its good and if its good enough ill order the a pound of it and its more lke 30$ for a 1LB

4. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

$30 for a pound of Captain Black is reasonable. Because their stuff tends to be rather moist, the difficulty you might be having when trying to light the stuff should be resolved if you put a bowl or two out on a paper towel and allow it to dry out a bit before you pack and light. Experiment.

5. Jay

Jay Active Member

Flash,

I used to be a foreman on a rock crushing plant. It was outside--regardless of the elements. On a windy day, with only matches, trying to light a cigarette was a challenge. Upon striking the match, I would form a cup with both hands and only leave enough room to stick the end of my cigarette down the top to catch the flame. It may take a few times but it is possible. Other times one could light a cigarette off the turbo housing on a CAT generator.

A ZIppo is a helluva lot easier!!!

Best,
    J

6. Brinson

Brinson New Member

Zippos are a godsend for relights. Find it difficult to do the charring light with one, though.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Many great toby can be had for that price. Hearth & Home and John Pattons blends are outstanding blends and rate highly.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

8. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

Lighters, especially when outdoors, are key. Personally, though, I prefer a butane lighter when smoking a pipe just because Zippo fluid seems to taint the tobacco too much. Even the "no-flavor" Zippo fluid.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Hell , I buy MacBaren Golden Extra for 26.00 a LB. If the wind is killin ya why not get a torch lighter

10. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

What a delicious smoke! One of my all time favorites!

11. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

When you buy in bulk you are getting as close to wholesale as you are going to get without owning a shop. The expense of packaging individual ounces is lower. If you are just getting in a bag rather than a 16 oz tin, the cost should be lower still. It's worth the investment to buy what you like in bulk and, if you ever get tired of it, it's good for trading to sample something new.

12. Richie

Richie Member

Buy a 50g tin @ $8.89 or same stuff in bulk 16ozs @ $27.95, not a hard choice. :dunno:

13. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

It's funny...when I first started out, I only had a few bulk blends from my local B&M. I wanted tinned tobacco badly, thinking I was missing out on quality, or that all tinned tobacco tasted better than bulk tobacco. Then, I opened my first tin, Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild, and hated it. Now I try to order bulk because it saves money, and the tobacco is no different. I've also found that, even in buying small amounts of the bulk blends, it saves money. I just bought 2 ounces of C&D's Epiphany in bulk, and it was 5 bucks and some change, whereas a 2 ounce tin of the stuff costs around 8 dollars and some change.

14. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

agreed--some say that there is a definite difference between the two; however i can't find it--admittedly my palate isn't terribly refined, so if i can't tell the difference, at least i'll save coins--

15. christopher

christopher Member

make an "OK" sign with your fingers and put the match through the hole of your finger/thumb I used to work on boats and it is the only technique to even give me a chance. On tobacco I know smokingpipes.com sells bulk cornel & deil for under 30.00 a pound and it is some yum tobac. good luck.

16. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

Apparently the process of aging differs in and out of a tin, but for the short term, I doubt there is any effect. If I wanted to age something for 1 year or more, I'd buy it in a tin just for convenience; however, these two tobaccos I just ordered in bulk will be gone within two months, so I'm not worried.

17. tbiley

tbiley Member

For lighting, use wooden matches, as someone pointed out before. It lasts longer and doesn't have weird chemicals.

I usually use matches so I know how you feel. The best way, at least for me, is to go to a place that can cover the wind. Turn your back into the wind and protect the flame as soon as possible. Let it burn, not only to allow the sulfur to burn, so the flame can run through a quarter of the matchstick. This will protect it even more from going out. Then just light away!

Don't get discouraged when the match goes out the first couple of times, sometimes the wind just sucks.

18. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That sounds about right for Captain Black. I have heard that Lane RLP-6 is just like it. I've ordered some but haven't smoked it. I am pretty sure I picked it up for around 25.00 at Mars.

Lighting a pipe, I use matches most of the time. The wooden style. On a breezy day grab two sticks and strike them. That seems to work for me. Then there is always the backup bic

19. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Ive always found lighting up outdoors is easier facing into the wind, and cupping your hand if you must use matches. Having lit my pipe on top of most Monroes in Scotland ( hills over 3000ft) I can attest a Zippo does the job every time...so long as you've remembered to fill it first!

BTW I've always used a standard Zippo not one with the pipe insert,

Happy smoking and hoping you get ignition!

Gerry

20. JDev84

JDev84 Member

thats a great price for a pound! dont know anything about the tobacco itself, of course. for outdoor smokes, i use a zippo pipe lighter, which i have found to be pretty much windproof. the only disadvantage is that i dont have the special pipe lighter fluid youre supposed to use, so the first light suffers a bit taste wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.