1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting my pipe

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Bryan71, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

May 18, 2011
    Which is a better lighter for lighting my pipe been using matches.Thinking of a zippo.But i have been told a Gas lighter would be better.
    A friend has a Corona and it is a very nice lighter
  2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    Matches are fine. If you WANT to get a lighter,
    Bic's are cheap (my backup lighter). Zippos are
    nice (my main lighter w/thunderbird insert).
    If you can afford it, you could get a Corona, but
    there are similar brands out there for less money.
    The long and short of it is, personal preference.
    Try the cheaper lighters, then advance to where
    you're happy.

Happy puffing!
  3. ddandb

ddandb Member

Aug 14, 2009
    If you go with the gas lighter just don't get the torch ones. You want the soft flame.
  4. MakDragon

MakDragon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I have 2 Zippo pipe lighters and 2 regular Zippos. I love them for their functionality and their tradition. There's something cool about that sound they make too when they close. I also enjoy the traditional matches when there's no wind. Bics work great too, they just get hot quick for me. ---- What ever gets your toby lit!!!
  5. Redone

Redone Member

Mar 5, 2011
    I like my zippo.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    I've had my Corona Old Boy for over 20 years and it still works like new. I never use anything else. But that's my personal preference. Wooden matches (without the sulphur tip) and Zippos should be fine as well.
  7. Iain

Iain Active Member

Apr 30, 2011
    I got a Nimrod Commander cheap off eBay (very similar to a Zippo with pipe insert) works great outdoors, using the proper Zippo fuel I've never noticed the taste affected at all. I used to burn my thumb with Bic's all the time before.
  8. Duke

Duke Member

Jan 6, 2011
    I've used a Zippo exclusively for years. Zippo's provide a large flame but with lower temperatures than butane fueled lighters. Those torch lighters can put a world of hurt on your briar, if your not careful. I'll strike my Zippo then let it burn a second or two to burn-off the excess naphtha before lighting the pipe.
  9. Beale

Beale Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I really like my Pipe Zippo. Beale.
  10. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I really like my plain jane Zippo with the standard insert. Works extremely well and it does tricks too. If I lost it I'd pick up another one at the local drug store for $14.

My Corona Old Boy works well but it can be a little temperamental. It's not the best lighter when the wind is blowing hard either. I'd be a little bummed if I lost it and probably wouldn't replace it.

Hard to beat the plain old Bic lighter. Cheap, reliable, lots of colors, and zero maintenance.
  11. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I read an article once that said that a wooden match flame is half as hot, on the Celsius scale, as a lighter flame. The theory is the colder the flame the less flavour it burns off the toby when you light. I go with matches... that's why.
  12. Zfog

Zfog Member

May 15, 2011
    I use my Zippo with a Thunderbird insert. Or matches, whichever is handy.
  13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mar 17, 2011
    I love my Old Boy, though I fall back on my Zippo pipe lighter outdoors if there's a breeze. If you want to get a nice butane lighter for less than an Old Boy (which sre selling at my local pipe store for over $100 now), look into the Xicar Pipeline. Similar design as the Old Boy, for a fair bit less scratch. Of course the Corona looks like a steal compared to a Dunhill...
  14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I like wooden matches when I'm indoors w/no wind problem. The wide flame makes it so easy to light the entire top. They seem to draw into the bowl easy too.

In my truck I use a bic because they last forever, flame is easy to direct and easily replaced.

At home I have 3 different butane lighters. I've got one that has a little tube that extends out so you can stuff it down a large bowl that is already have burned and needs a relight. I've got a large capacity Lotus w/soft 90 degree flame and built in tamper & pick. I've also got a fancy little Ronson lighter that has a 90 degree soft flame. The tip protrudes a little longer than the Lotus, so works really good on a pipe, but the capacity is a lot less fuel-wise.
  15. Albert

Albert Active Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Im all about using wood matches... I also base it on the article mentioned by ArtisanArcher. Very interesting read...
  16. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I smoke outside in the evening, so matches are impractical with our steady afternoon SoCal breeze. I use 2 Lotus lighters, a Colibri, and 2 no-name pipe lighters that I bought from the local Bong & Hookah shop that all work quite well for the intended purpose of igniting tobacco in my pipe. Clean burning, no taste, adjustable flame butane for me.
  17. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Apr 9, 2011
    I use either a bic type lighter or a zippo. I'm a bit worried about scorching the edge of my bowls with a standard zippo, so i took the dremel cutting wheel to it and made my own pipe insert :) it isn't pretty and takes away some of the wind resistance i imagine, but it works.

Which is better? i dunno.. Bics are easy and cheap, zippos work outside most the time but you got some hasle keeping it fueled up. I'd say zippo simply because of the wind factor. They all set tobacco on fire though.
  18. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

May 14, 2011
    I use a Lotus single flame torch....It gets the tobacco....smokin', in a hurry. The only downside to a torch, is the flame is blue, and invisible in daylight. So, be real careful, lest you light your fingers, if you're holding the pipe bowl, like I have...once or twice....YEOWZA.
  19. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I stick with ye old Zippo. used everytthing under the sun (including embers from my fireplace) and discoverd that the Zippo works great so why change?
  20. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Don't use a torch for your pipe. You want to keep a nice, soft flame. You'll end up scorching your rim, burning up your tobacco rather than setting it alight, and possibly burning out the wall of your pipe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.