Lighting up

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MaSTi, Sep 25, 2012.

?

What do you use to light up with?

Poll closed Sep 25, 2013.
  1. Matches

28.6%
  2. Lighter

71.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaSTi

MaSTi Member

What do you guys use to light your pipes?

I have yet to smoke mine(awaiting my shipment), but plan to only light with matches. If I am in a rush only then would I have the thought of using a lighter. I was wondering what your thoughts on this are....

I come from the cigar world and have a VERY sensitive palate, so I can taste a difference from lighter vs match lighting. I'm NOT a snob, and have used both, but always preferred matches. Just wondering if it matters at all with pipes.

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Both. Usually an Old Boy, sometimes matches, occasionally a Zippo. I honestly can't tell a difference between the matches and the Old Boy in flavor, and the Old Boy is convenient with it's built in tamper. I use a Zippo if I'm going to be somewhere windy, driving, fishing etc.

3. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I use a Zippo with blends that stand up to it, usually I have a Bic in my pocket though. I know what you mean with the cigars, I think the key with pipes is, cooler is better, so NO torches. Basically, do what works for you, I prefer the convenience of a lighter, but matches are good.

4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Matches if it is calm outside and an Ol Boy if it isnt. Love that lighter!!!

5. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

If you're looking for the "open up the fire hydrant" variety of opinions then you've asked the right question. If you were hoping for a consensus answer so you'd know the "right way" to go -- um -- well, that isn't exactly the PSF approach. :) As for me, I started out as a kind of purist, using only matches. Over the years I progressed through Zippo, to BIC and recently have come back to Zippo with pipe lighter inserts. And, yes, mainly because I have a meerschaum on order, I got some matches, which I have been using lately. Some.

There have been threads with extended discussions about Zippos and whether they taint the experience or not. I'm sure there are some that will share an opinion. I have not noticed a problem. My theory is that it's the smell that gives one the perception of "taste" being tainted. (Like the orange and onion experiment you probably did in science class in school.) If it is not a fresh fill on the lighter I have no problem. I like the Zippo -- especially outside. BICs worked fine for a long time. Cheap, available and a nice soft butane flame. I'm liking the match experience again. Seems easier to give a nice even light. But they have a high PIA factor and I'll probably only use them at home, and then not all of the time.

(BTW I'm thinking your survey questions could be a little more inclusive, like: Wooden Matches Paper Matches, Zippo, Bic, Blow Torch, Glowing Ember. :xd: )

Skiballa likes this.
  6. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

Ah yes, the glowing ember with fire tongs, that gets my vote every time. :D I just need to figure out a practical way to carry an ember around with me.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

BBZ .. Bently , Bic , Zippo [ in no order ]

8. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

And for the true purist, the magnifying glass and sunlight technique, no chance of any flavor contamination then. :p:

Edit: To be fair, I have actually done this, it was in Iraq however, with a binocular lens, effectiveness may vary with the amount of sunlight available.

Tyler Lad and Coastal Bend like this.
  9. muddler

muddler Active Member

I never use matches. I have an Old Boy I use in the house & a few Zippos for when I'm in the car or flyfishing (because of the wind). I have noticed some flavoring from the Zippo fluid but not from the Old Boy.

10. MaSTi

MaSTi Member

I know I could have expanded, just wanted some thoughts and ideas. :)

11. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Matches when mother nature permits, zippo when she doesn't.

12. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

13. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Some smokers complain of sulfur taste resulting from matches. Others are of the opinion that Zippo lighters make their tobacco taste like lighter fluid. It seems to be a matter of personal preference. I use whatever comes to hand.

14. MaSTi

MaSTi Member

Yeah same concept with cigars. The key with matches is to let the match burn until you get part way up the match, that way it's the wood portion and not the tip/sulfur flavor.

15. Bump

Bump Member

I do a prelight with a lighter to get things primed, and then switch to wooden matches. I only use matches for relights as I definitely notice a lighter fluid taste at that point. I have noticed though if it's a tad windy out and I'm sparking a ribbon cut that's on the drier side, the 'prelight' is the only light and away I go.

I’m still learning the flakes, but I do know that if I started with matches on a University Flake, I probably would go through a whole box for one bowl. And that’s even letting the flake dry for an hour or so before packing.

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

With me it's neither, really: no matches no lighter..... HOWEVER: I use those wooden coffee stirrers, lit by a match, to light my pipe.
    For the odd re-light it's a lighter, so I think I vote for lighter.:bing:

17. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Hmmm, never thought of that shadow. Do you do it this way to avoid the sulfur and or lighter fluid taste?

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

Well.... I find it's the best way to get a nice smoke going. The flame is better, no lighter fluid or sulfur to worry about....
    By the way: I light those stirrers with a normal lighter, NOT with a match as I mistakenly wrote!:oops:

19. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

Simple logic, maches indoor in leisure mode, zippo outside, in survival mode !

N3M0 likes this.
  20. Albert

Albert Active Member

mostly a bic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.