Lighting your pipe

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by kalouch, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalouch

kalouch Member

Hello there,

this is my second post here, but i really miss reading on this forum and its been a while.

Anyways i have a question in mind, i read in another topic something about smoking a bowl on just one lighting, and i read lots of people saying that they rarely achieve that, i have begun smoking pipes almost a month ago and i have to say after 3 or 4 days all of the bowls i smoked were smoked without relighting, only gently tamping a bit when i feel the smoke is getting lighter. so can anyone please help me clarifying this?

i also would like to ask if anyone tried the Navy Mixture by Macbaren, i bought a pouch the other day and paid much more than i usually do for my Virginia Flake Cut by MB also. the tobacco in the pouch is dry and the taste packs a huge kick, strong bite and the taste is very timid. i can only sense a bit of virginia when i get to mid bowl but all through it the taste is strong and also faint.

Happy puffing!
    Joseph

2. IRONxPagan

IRONxPagan Member

Well, I'm fairly new to pipe smoking myself. As far as relighting goes, much has to do with the kind of tobacco you're smoking and how slow you're smoking it. I'm sure there others on the forum who have more insight into this.

As far as the Navy Mixture, I just started trying it myself a couple of weeks ago. It does feel dry in the hand but it's still springy when packed. As far as the flavor the majority of it seems to be burly with other flavors such as virginia coming in and out throughout the smoke. I think it's pretty good but wish there was virginia in it.

3. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have never been able to keep a pipe going with just one match, however I can say the type of baccy in the bowl is a factor, and usually a tamping will get you almost half way there.

4. VibrativePiano6

VibrativePiano6 Member

Few tips I've learned smoking since 1998..

1 - Make sure you're moving the flame over the tobacco.
    2 - Exhale with pipe in your mouth (on your lips). 20% of the air in your lungs is unused oxygen.
    3 - Don't inhale too often. Try to avoid inhaling a mouthful of smoke on every breath. You're pulling oxygen away. Once you get a good grip on keeping a pipe going without a relight, it'll burn hotter if you keep inhaling on every breath.

Personally - it's just me, but remove the filters if possible. Not a giant fan of them.

5. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I only have a few pipes where using a filter is king, otherwise, just let them go

6. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

I have a tangent to this -- I have a few tobaccos where using a filter is king. It seems like a few blends that are from areas used to using filters actually are flavored/fermented to allow the tobacco to perform well through the filter. Mind you, I am specifying the 9mm variety here, with the charcoal. I get a better, less harsh smoke when I use my 9mm filtered pipes, rather than smoking the tobacco in a filterless or filter removed pipe. I like Vauen Black Pepper better this way, though it is OK filterless, too. As for the little cardboard and tissue tubes, they mostly remove flavor and help mask poor smoking technique. The only redeeming quality for me is in a few of my cobs where I tend to inhale ash on relights near the bottom of the bowl.

7. Brian

Brian Member

I sometimes like to touch up my smoke with a quick relight or two, especially if I am smoking a dense flake that I left pretty compact.

Also, if I am doing something else while smoking my pipe, like talking on the phone, I often forget about the pipe long enough that it goes out. No big deal.

I think it depends a lot on the tobacco.

8. Major

Major Member

The amazing thing is it takes practice and patience to get to know the behaviors of each blend you like. Don't go forceing the issue to much. Enjoy your toby first, if it goes out and you have to relight theres no such thing as pipe pixies that come around to ruin your day. There are no rules as to how many times you have to relight till your considered a pro.

Oh sure its nice to only have to relight once or twice. There are days when I have to relight that little. Some days more with the same blend. I may have packed it just a hair to loose or too light. The humidity in the air plays a factor too. Who knows..... who cares really? Don't focus on it so much that it ruins the purpose of smoking the pipe.

Today I just tried some flake...... a burley flake and for the life of me I couldn't keep it lit long enough to enjoy more than 3 puffs. Like Brian said about flakes. its really dense. But I'll practice packing it as I go. But I'm going to enjoy the smoke first and formost. I mean why not... I paid for it right? May as well enjoy it.

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I never paid attention or tried the 1 match feat, but I bet if I went with some PA or CH, I could do it.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I never bother to count...I just smoke. If it takes a dozen re-lights...OK. If it goes to ash in one light...cool too.

11. BrianthePipeman

BrianthePipeman Member

When you light your pipe, don't be so quick to pull the match away. I leave the match hovering over the pipe until the flame gets close to my finger. This way it is ensured that INDEED my pipe is lit. It might sound kinda funny, but OVER light your tobacco. haha

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I've had some bowl & toby combos that seemed to need a re-light nearly each time I looked away. So what?! Still enjoy'd the smoke and matches/zippo black is way cheap......compared to the blissful sips/puffs I took from the bowl. Re-light! It keeps ya smokin'! :)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.