Limerick- Dan Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by sarge564, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Let's talk Limerick- I like it! Got some in February and never opened the tin until last week. I find it to be a mild VaPer. A decent all day smoke, doesn't get to "peppery"
    Escudo is wonderful but can't do much more than one bowl a day.
    Several bowls
    So, I ordered two more tins and have it on the list for the next order.
    Any other fans of this rarely discussed/mentioned or credited toby??
    Sound off!

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Haven't tried it yet, Sarge, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I haven't found too many things from Dan Tobacco that I don't like, and I'd love to try their Va/Per. I'll be looking for it.

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Alright, Sarge, I just happened upon an aged tin of Limerick at my local B&M. They even gave me a discount. Anyway, I am drying some out a bit and will report back later with results of my first bowl. Really looking forward to it.

Incidentally, the guys at my shop say that Dan Tobacco doesn't have an importer right now, as they ended their deal with CAO. Are we facing shortages of all their good stuff? Dammit!

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

So as I said, this tin has a little age on it, and the flakes are already blooming with sugar crystals. They are a nice dark color, and the tin note was sort of honey-sweet, but not too much more so than Escudo, though I don't get the hay aroma that I notice in lighter VA's.

From a newly opened tin, flakes take several hours to dry out to good smoking humidity, though I could have waited a little longer for this bowl. It was slightly moist, and took a couple of lights to get burning, but once lit, it has thus far burned cool with minimal relights and no bite.

I read some info and a few reviews while smoking, and the blend reportedly has about 5% Perique. It doesn't play a major role, but makes it's presence known from time to time in a most pleasant way. Most of the show belongs to the Virginia, which I find to be one of the sweeter ones I've smoked that doesn't tend to cloy, though as I say, I'm still on bowl #1.

Though not quite a textbook example like Escudo, this is a wonderful take on a Va/Per. I hope to keep some of this handy.

Herb

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Near the bottom, the Perique becomes more noticeable, though still mild, and takes the sweet edge off enough to remind you that this is still a Va/Per. It rewards you with a nice dry finish, leaving a grey-white ash. To me, it is reminiscent of how a cup of strong Italian coffee nicely follows a piece of Tiramisu.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I find Limerick to be a little weird, kind of a light almost lilac smelling topping. It's all right, but I didn't rush out for a second tin.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I found your thread from a couple of years ago after I posted my thoughts, Sas. I didn't notice the floral note, though I will be looking for it next time I get into the tin. As I say, though, I know my tin has several years shelf time on it, so that may be affecting the tin note. Of course I don't notice any flowery notes in most non-aromatic Lakelands, either.

8. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Herb- thank you for your comments, I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I think I'll go smoke some right now.

HCraven likes this.
  9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Thanks for the tip on this tobacco, Sarge! Good stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.