1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Little Thread of Pipe Horrors

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Malcontent, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Okay gang, they say that confession is good for the soul. Here's your chance. If you've every massacred a meer, dinged a Dunhill, savaged a Savinelli, crippled a Chacom, (Help me! The alliteration won't stop!) this is the place to post. Dig to the back of the drawer or bottom of the box and find the poor pipe that gave it's all for you.

I'll start off with a Kiko that I got off the 'bay. The stem was about the same color as the pipe. I cleaned up the stem and didn't do much to the bowl. I found that it had a ferocious Lakeland ghost that overwhelmed anything that I put into it, but it smoked like a dream. I finally got serious about cleaning the bowl and just when I thought that I was finished, it slipped out of my hands and hit the concrete.
    [​IMG]
    I glued it back together, trying to be careful to keep the glue away from the air passage. It works, but it isn't the same and I don't think that the glue will hold for more than a few smokes.

The next item is my first pipe, a no-name Wally Frank. There was a large fill on one side that apparently went pretty deep. Combined with a fast puffing novice piper and some blankety-blank hot burning aros, the pipe couldn't take the abuse. It isn't too visible on the photo, but the interior wall is burned out a lot. One of these days I want to make some pipe cement and see if I can't repair it enough to smoke again.
    [​IMG]

You know you've got something stashed away that you just can't bear to toss, but it bothers you to see. Post it here & we can get Preacher or Rev or someone to give absolution.

2. bosun

bosun Active Member

There I was, a young fella in the Coast Guard, just back from a tour in Alaska. In Buffalo, in January. On security patrol with a Detex clock at two AM. Pipe in my back pocket. Unseen ice in the dark. Gravity called. Big bruise and just pieces of pipe in my pocket!

3. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Bosun, that reminds me of one that I forgot. If I ever get back there, I'll post a picture of a lake. I forgot that I had a pipe in my shirt pocket. Sometimes gravity ain't kind.

4. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Got this nice 'bash on the 'bay. Thought it would be a good idea to give it the salt/alcohol treatment like I'd done with estate briars. Bad idea--apparently meer does not stand up to this and the bowl developed two nasty cracks. Live and learn!

5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I bought an African meer of of ebay and the damn thing came with the stem glued on. I tried everything to get it apart and ended up breaking it. I super glued it back together and called it Franken-meer. It died. I don't have the pics anymore.

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

You forgot "Bashed a Barling" and "pulverized a Peterson".....
    Got a beautiful old WDC straight billiard...with the original 1945 bill of sale. It has an amber stem, and one day, I carelessly grabbed it by the tip of the stem to unscrew it from the shank......SNAP!! Was so sick and disgusted I almost puked.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure how well it shows in this photo, but the break angles across the stem almost to the tip.
    Lesson learned! Amber, especially this old, is exceedingly fragile! Handle with care! Someday I'll get it off to Floyd for a lucite replacement.......

xrundog and Malcontent like this.
  7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Ok--this is my disgraceful little Stanwell that I call it my Stanwas--becuae at one time it was a great Stanwell until my idiotic accident with it.
    The shank has HVAC aluminum tape on it to cover the horrible crack--and it is a nasty crack.
    The stem has been cut down as it was broken and I installed a stainless steel sleeve that was originally for use in air brake fittings for trucks--I drilled the shank to accept it.
    Now usually the stem has a rubber pipe condom on it--I removed it so you all could see the wonderful hole I chewed through the stem.
    I felt so bad about this pipe and how I treated it--well before Stanwell moved I ordered a exact model replacement so as to remind myself--NEVER allow a pipe that I own to reach this point EVER again. Pipe abuse and lack of care on my part created this mess and I am far from proud but cannot deny that I caused this by laying the pipe down--it fell and I never new it--I then stepped on it with heavy work boot soles--CRUNCH--and yep--pipe ruined. It still smokes great--just looks fugly.

[​IMG]

Smokey Tom, Malcontent and Roger W like this.
  8. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

t-bear, I figured that someone would continue the litany of brand names:toast:

9. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

I am a great dropper of pipes. Fortunately the most common result is a broken tenon which can be repaired. I have also had some incidents which old amber stems breaking. Heartbreaking!
    But my most ingenious repair came about when I tried to unscrew the stem from this pressed meer Kaywoodie when it must have still been a little warm. The shank crumbled into pieces! I use gorilla glue to put it back together and tossed it in a box. Sometime later I came up with rather nautical soution for covering the repair. It never smoked that great, but it looks better than it did.[​IMG]

jdto and Malcontent like this.
  10. PyrateMate

PyrateMate Active Member

Xrundog, tis a fine use of seamanship skills! Matches well with the texture of the bowl.

11. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Gotta list my recent abuse, even if it wasn't intentional.

I got this beautiful Stanwell Antique from CigarSarge in a trade. Had it all of two days before a poorly mounted clock over my work bench fell off the wall and landed on it. Broke the stem off.

[​IMG]

12. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Anyone ever heard of a Corrieu? This is how mine ended up, after almost 40 years of good smoking.
    [​IMG]

13. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I bought a nice little Meerschaum on ebay that needed a new mouthpiece. Just as I got the mouthpiece done, I dropped it and broke the stem portion of the meer:(. Then I got an idea:rolleyes:. What if I used a brass sweat in fitting, then fit the mouthpiece to it:cool:.
    [​IMG]
    It didn't turn out too bad
    [​IMG]

14. 1858remington

I will have to post the pictures of the finished pipe. It looks pretty good:thu:

ruffinogoldswife likes this.
  15. 1858remington

Here's what it turned out as. What do you all think???
    [​IMG]

GlassEye, PyrateMate and Smokey Tom like this.
  16. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I think if it smokes decently then you have an interesting pipe! Throw a couple extra widgets on it and you could have a very steampunk looking pipe.

17. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Fortunately, you can get a new stem made. Still frustrating as hell, though, especially for a "new" pipe.

18. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

40 years. That is like losing an old friend. Did it have a band on it?

19. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I like it.

20. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Now that looks like something I would have done. :doh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.