loading pipe several hours in advance

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by eddy13, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddy13

eddy13 Member

I came across a post in another forum discussing loading the pipe and then letting it sit for several hours to a day. Apparently, this was their way of drying the tobacco.

Does anyone do this, does it work???

Thanks..

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Sometimes, I'll load up several bowls (the day's smokes) and if the toby feels way too wet for the pipe (cobs take wetter toby quite well) I'll let it dry but the others smoke fine (the ones that were loaded up ahead of time. Prior to light up, I'll feel the toby with my fingertip and if it needs moisture then I'll just blow some in through the bowl. Loaded up 4 bowls last eve (965, Penzance, Stonehaven, Dart Kwist Coll Rake) and am finally on the DTRC......all were wonderful smokage!

Experiment! Find y'er gruve! :eek:hyeah:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!cogito ergo puff

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

That is a very good idea! Thanks for the tip, Beale.

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I have heard of doing it this way, and there's nothing really wrong with it, but I tend to put it in a shallow bowl (or a clean ashtray reserved for the purpose) to dry. Seems like it dries quicker and more uniformly.

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It does dry more quickly, but sometimes I don't mind planning ahead. I just loaded most of a flake of FVF in my Bjarne, and I have no real intention of smoking it today. Probably not until late tomorrow evening, in fact. It can breathe a bit in the bowl, and yes it will dry more slowly but by the time I want to smoke it, I think it will be just fine :)

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I tend to do this if I'm going to be out & about for the day. I'll take a pipe cleaner and roll it into a disk...press the disk into the top of the bowl, and it keeps the tobacco from spilling out. Also helps to keep it from drying out too much.

(Tips from T-Bear) :groucho:

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It works to preload . For blends like Firedance it's a must to dry it or let sit in a pipe for some time . I'm really a big fan of opening a tin/pouch and being able to smoke then and there but some blends are worth the wait .

8. eddy13

eddy13 Member

Very cool-great tip!!!

9. r0n54

r0n54 Member

+1 here, especially when taking a pipe you intend to smoke in your car. It sure makes it easier to just pull out your pipe and light up when you are ready !

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

With a seriously wet tobacco resistant to drying such as Gawith's St James Flake I have done this very thing - in fact with that tobacco I tried loading up a whole set of Falcons (eight) and it worked well enough.

How dry or how moist you like to smoke your tobacco is a avery personal thing. By and large Brits smoke moister tobacco than those from the Americas - there really isn't a right nor wrong here; it really is a matter of personal preference.

The only type of tobacco this won't work well with is a modern aromatic - much of the flavour and aroma will simply disappear if you try it,

Happy smoking

Gerry

11. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

If I feel like a smoke later in the day I'll pack a pipe before I leave and carry it in a jacket pocket until I feel like lighting it up.

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I'll frequently load and light a pipe just before bed and set it aside to await the next day. I hate fussing with lighting a pipe first thing in the morning. :)

13. Puff The Magic

Andy, I do the same thing! :thumbsu:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

If I know I will be working at my desk for several hours, I pack three or four pipes and set them aside. That way, I can just pick up a pipe and light it when I'm ready for more smoke. Tobacco that would benefit from a little bit of drying turns out just fine after sitting in the pipe for a little while. Sometimes I don't get to the last pipe untill the next day. Still just fine.

15. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Mostly, I just lay it out on a piece of paper to dry. Don't think I have ever preloaded a pipe for any reason. Whatever works for you.

16. slprl1

slprl1 Member

Nothing wrong with preloading. Also, if you don;t finish a bowl, you can do so the next day. That's one of the things that makes pipe smoking better than cigars.

17. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I do it all the time because I often work from home. I've heard that Georges Simenon, he of the detective novels and passion for prostitutes, would regularly load up a day's worth of bowls so that he could write without distraction.

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

I do it all the time and have done so for many years.

19. Puff The Magic

Sometimes, I'll load up 4-5 bowls (different toby each) and just do the initial light on all of 'em right down the row! Get a first off line-up of all the smokes ahead but sometimes I get side-tracked by one of them being so good I can't put it down to light up the next! :P

Ed
    Puff

20. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I do this on occasion, but I'm more like Gerry
    as I like to load it up from the tin and fire it
    up then and there. I should probably do this
    more often though.

dp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.