Local shop blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cellophane, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cellophane

cellophane Member

I'm curious - where do the local shops get their blends? I've seen a few in the big jars that are 'name' brands but generally they have a name assigned by the local store. i.e. Hoosier Heritage, 90 Proof, Captain Jack etc.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Most of the tobacco manufacturers offer bulk blends. Lane, McClelland, Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hoggarth, Brigham (Canada) etc all offer premixed bulks and also blending tobacco for the occassional tobacconist who still does in fact mix their own blends.

So lots of times the "Ole Howlin Wolf" at Joe's Tobacco will be identical to "Country Cowboy" at Moe's Tobacco, and they are both bulk "Coyote Classic" from McClelland (or whatever).

3. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Some are brands that they have rebranded with their own name, some are blends of blends and some are blended from the individual tobaccos and a totally original creation. One example of original blends is Heart & Home created by Russ Ouellette at pipesandcigars.com.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You could always just asked the proprietor/clerk what they are. Assuming they're not original house blends (i.e. they are 'just' re-branded Lane, G&H, etc.) then they will most likely tell you. It's nice to know 'Country Cowboy' IS Coyote Classic, if only for reference.

5. cellophane

cellophane Member

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If youre at a good pipe shop theres a chance there are blends there that have been created/tweaked for an individual person . You could be next . Lets say you tried blend x and liked it but thought it would be perfect if it had more strength or burned slower or faster or had a little chery etc .. ... the guy could tweak it for you and with a little time might come up with the ' chad ' blend . Or , you could request a type of blend and work out w/ him a new perfect blend . Keep in mind you gotta pay for the tobacco along the way . Its fair .Chances are the owner has a book of blends that he keeps . It wasnt uncommon and shouldnt be today but might be . You could play around and make your own as well . It's fun and theres times you hit the bullseye

7. atwageman

atwageman Member

My local shop has about 10 or so blends that are created by hand in the store. Actually its even more than that if you include customer specific blends. Then of course like any B&M they have bulks by McC, Lane, etc. that have been relabled with a different name.

8. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

My local shop has a mix of bulks, and most are renamed to their own unique names. The exceptions are bulks by McClelland, which they label by number. I have no idea how they choose which get to keep their names, but they've been good about telling me what it really is if I ask.

9. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

My "local" shop (is it local if I have to drive an hour to get there?) is pretty much the same. They sell bulks that are branded with their name on it, but are clearly McClelland bulk and others just judging from the names. I picked up "Proper English", "Vintage Syrian", and "English Oriental Supreme" to come home and look them up and find out they were McClelland bulks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.