1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Look what I just bought on Ebay!!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Graham R, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham R

Graham R Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sealed and never opened!!

I am dying to try this, apparently its VA with cigar leaf, and about 30 years aged.

2. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Good find.
    Let us know how it smokes.

3. furious

furious Junque collector

Nice score! Hope you didn't have to take out a second for it though.

4. Graham R

Graham R Member

Spillproof likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Pop it !!

sonarman and dBear like this.
  6. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

7. Graham R

Graham R Member

Link doesn't work for P&C, is that Virginia Memory?

8. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

H & H Fusilier's Ration. Sorry about the link. This is the one he says in the info Russ created in his interpretation of Bengal/

Texhealer likes this.
  9. Graham R

Graham R Member

Oh ok, I mixed them up. Good to be able to compare. This tin is older than me.

10. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

It will be interesting your views upon smoking it. I remember Sobrani but not this flake.

11. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Wow I didn't realize that....I have a tin of Bengal Slices, I guess I know what's going on my next order.

12. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Wait, I'm confused. You're saying that this tin of Sobranie Flake is Bengal Slices? So, then at what point did they give Bengal Slices its own packaging and name? Because I've seen old tins of Bengal Slices, and they have a completely different label. :cfsd:

13. Graham R

Graham R Member

Just reporting what I am reading friend, and what my pipe mentor told me. Here are the notes from Tobacco Review about it.

"Bengal Slices was, originally, the flake version of Balkan Sobranie. When Gallaher took over the Sobranie mixtures from the Redman family the original blenders finding the composition too complex and costly, they simplified it. After Gallaher stopped making the simplified Bengal Slices, Mr James B Russell arranged for a composition similar to the Gallaher revision to be made exclusively for them by A & C Petersen, Horsens, Denmark. A & C Petersen has recently been sold to Orlik A/S, of Assens, Denmark, which promptly discontinued the manufacture of Bengal Slices. A replacement, under the James B Russell ægis, has been released, approximating the A & C Petersen blend."

14. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Yeah, I read that too. I was just wondering, didn't mean to sound argumentative if that's how I came across. It's kind of a confusing timeline, to me anyway. But then again, I'm just a dumb hick from Alabama. :)

You should check out Fusilier's Ration if you like the Bengal Slices. I've never had Bengal Slices, but I really like Fusilier's Ration. It has a very unique flavor to it from the casing that he uses, whatever it is. You'll either like it or you won't, but it's definitely worth a try, IMO.

YAPPG likes this.
  15. Graham R

Graham R Member

No worries, I didn't find it argumentative at all, just pointing out I'm a total newb and have no clue, so just reading what I find.

Here is an article from Pease about it, seems to give more clarity.

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=80

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  16. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Well smoke it already and let us know how it is!

sonarman, user3610 and BriarRabbit like this.
  17. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

Is it a sweet perfumey topping, which unfortunately I find to be the case with Northwoods? Or more on the savoury or subtle end of the spectrum?

BTW, I've also read about the original Bengal Slices being BS Original Smoking Mixture in flake form. Didn't know anything about it having cigar leaf; I thought BS OSM was just Va, Latakia, and Oriental (Yenidje). I'm also a bit confused about the flake format, as the tin says "Ready Rubbed".

Looks like you're gonna HAVE TO open it now to put all this speculation and confusion to rest.;)

YAPPG likes this.
  18. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I never got to smoke any of that, and I am suitably envious! Smoke and enjoy! :th1:

YAPPG likes this.
  19. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Methinks the Virginia & cigar leaf description applied the old BS Virginian No. 10, and I'de guess that this was also the model for Russ' Viginia Memory #10.

[​IMG]

Fusilier's is good but my first choice is still Park-Lane's Bengal, really good stuff there IMO.

YAPPG likes this.
  20. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I like Fusilier's Ration, now I guess I'm going to have to buy some Park-Lane's Bengal. TAD is good..........isn't it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.