1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking at buying a second pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by adjman, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adjman

adjman Member

Advice and opinions please folks.

I am thinking of spending a bit more on my second pipe to get something decent and I am considering three makes/types

A Chacom Opera Pipe No 519

A Peterson Churchwarden D6

Peterson Smooth Standard System Straight No 31

I wondered which of these people could reccomend or discount based on experience? I have read elsewhere on the forums that Chacom pipes tend to be badly made and wondered if anyone had opinions on this?

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

My local B&M sells Chacom's too and I had never heard of them before, so I will be curious to hear if they are any good too.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The Chacom pipes were very good at one time and maybe still are though I've seen people bitch about them of late . So I'm not sure .
    The churchwarden is a cool pipe for sure ! Obviously , it's long and will always be so unless youre cool w/ that as a second pipe .. go for it .
    The system pipes are awesome imo . The only drawback is the well will fill up a bit w/ liquid and will have to be cleaned out ... and don't put it in your pocket before doing so ... stinky .

I'd go w/ the Chacom or Savinelli/Brebbia in the same price range . I say this only because they're just a pipe . Not way long and not in need of extra matainance . This page has a variety of pipes and the sandblasts are made by savinelli . I post it cause I'm guessing a majority of the pipes are in a chacom price range or less .... http://www.iwanries.com/iwan-ries-exclusives-C28.cfm .. I dont know man ... the chacoms sure look good ! .. http://www.iwanries.com/chacom-C148.cfm ... people will bitch about anything . Betcha I didnt help at all huh .. lol

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Gonna go with what I know...Peterson. A churchwarden can be cool, so long as you more or less plan on just chilling out with it. Things like driving and clenching, walking may prove annoying with it. System pipes are stout little burners, so that would be my personal first best bet. YMMV.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Sorry - but I think asking someone which style of pipe you should buy, is a bit like sticking a pin in the phone book - then asking a stranger what style of new suit to get!
    Cheers, OT

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

In purely practical terms. out of those under consideration on your short list the Peterson System has to be the all round winner as it'll cope with all tobaccos in all forseeable situations but....there's an element of truth in what Ted has just said.

Your heart'll decide in the end,

Happy smoking whatever

Gerry

7. adjman

adjman Member

Thanks for all the advice folks, exactly what I wanted, at least no one saying "ooo, don't buy one of those they're poor quality/badly made etc" :)

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Well, that's just what I'll do.

Chacom's quality is ****ty, their quality control is bad and their briar is ... bad. I got a fairly expensive one and had to modify the tenon to get any air flow at all, and the briar is full of putty.

The Peterson 31 is a straight "system" pipe - it has a metal assembly of sorts and is a notoriously finicky and rather unpopular Pete.

That leaves the churchwarden, and there you go.

9. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Go ahead and get the Churchwarden. You're immediately going to want another pipe no matter what you get. May as well get two at the same time and save on postage. I always look at Peterson, Savinelli, and Butz Choquin first when looking to add another pipe to the pile.

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

when you look at the range of replies reflecting our different experiences and preferences - it does look like the advice to follow your heart could indeed be the best!

Sas has posted a good piece on what to look for when buying a pipe and it could be well worth searching it on this Forum - I'd be the first to admit that even after all these years I can still make mistakes when buying a pipe - and have done so within the last two years!

Once again,

Good Luck

Gerry

11. TailGunnerUK

TailGunnerUK Member

i have a system 312 which is a full bent, and a pretty decent smoker. the 31 is odd because its the only straight system pipe, and i think it was something of an experiment to see if the peterson system could be adapted to a straight pipe.

apparently its an ok pipe, but the peterson system really doesnt lend itself to a straight pipe, and as sas says is unpopular because its kinda fiddly.

12. adjman

adjman Member

This is where the more experienced guys get to have a good laugh ;)

I have just been and got myself a corn cob for £8 and absolutely love it, still looking at getting the Peterson churchwarden next and the dragon/eagle claw Meerschaum from a place I found in Carlisle :)

Cheers for all the pointers and tips folks, very much appreciated :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.