1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking at Meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bryan71, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

Having only smoked briar pipes.I am hearing more and more about Meerschaum pipes.
    And i fancy one do they smoke and different to briar?.
    Also i don't want one of the carvred pipes.Who makes the best Meerchaum.
    I have seen the Peterson ones .

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

The White Mistress has you in her grips ehhhh?

Best? That's a matter of opinion......... who makes the best __________ (fill in the blank here). Sort of personal/individual.

Best bang/buck of current meer vendors: IMP imo.

Best quality meer (block, carving, etc): Bekler (but oop), Yanik (current), many others are equally as good.

Honorable mention: Peterson meers (current production) Sherlock Holmes series (white and stained lattice ones). Only niggle is these don't come with a hardshell case, but Plano & Pelican make cases that work! :)

If you know nothing or not much about meers, you can't go wrong with an IMP meer from smokingpipes.com They're in stock, no wait for your meer to get from Turkey to home, etc. Many meer vendors on ebay are stand-up and deliver quality product(s) at reasonable pricing. Only problem is that some other vendors are just selling a mix of good pipes and what I'd consider as "souvenirs" or novelty pipes.
    Meerfan##'s is a reputable ebay'r and I've bought from him a few times. Always satisfied. Only problem is the 3-5 week in shipping. Sometimes I'd get it faster but usually it's a few weeks.

For basic, all around acceptable to good quality, and performance, go with an IMP.

I feel the smoke tends to be a bit "warmer" than briar/cob smokes. Very similar to how a clay smokes. I tend to lightly burn the inside of my mouth while smoking meers and let my mind space out not paying attention to the fire within....... If I smoke nothing but meers for a few days, my mouth feels it about the 3rd day. The smoke from a meer is drier, the pipe being more absorptive than briars, and certain tobaccos taste way better in a meer than any other pipe. Ferinstance, I prefer my heavy lat-bombs in a meer. I find I get more flavors if I smoke that lat-bomb in a meer than any other pipe. Also, burleys don't do as well in a meer as it does in a cob. Just my experiences. OGS tastes like bleaahh and really flat in a meer for me, but when I smoke OGS in a cob or briar, it's OGS, in a meer, it's "something else and not OGS", go figure!

Meers are very similar to clay pipes, not as fragile but still fragile.

Warning, inspect the pipe if you can. Most importantly, inspect the airway and drilling/carving. Many meers are drilled wrong or way off so get a good look.

Ed
    Puff

1stGenRex likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm with Puff... er... except for the part about them smoking "warmer". I smoke meers about 98% of the time and find them to smoke cooler than briars. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

The only thing I would add is that you can't cheap out on meers and get a decent smoke as you can with briars. Cheap meerschaums are barely smokable, if at all (some exceptions but I'd have to see the pipe to know). Start with an IMP. There is a seller on Ebay (Kenan by name, but I can't recall his Ebay moniker) that sells IMP's. That's all he sells - you can't miss him if you do a search for IMP's. A medium sized IMP will set you back about $70-80. The only problem is the shipping time. If you're willing to pay slightly more and don't want to wait or take a chance on shipping time from Turkey, you can buy IMP's from www.smokingpipes.com.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

+ 1 - on cool smoking meers!, my only exceptions are a couple of 'cheapies' with thin walled bowls (bought long ago - in less informed times!)
    OT

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I guess I'm just rushin' the meers more or too much when I'm "meer'in". Oh well. Gotta say this Butera coloring bowl is AWESOME! I can put it on a cob or a briar as well and be smokin' a meer-cob......... errrruh, somethin' like that. :whis:

Don't wanna go cheap on a meer. So many great carvers and even more apprentices that for me, with my leaf and smokes, I don't really wanna be skimpin' on a pipe unless I know or have reasonable confidence that it'll smoke my leaf well and without hassle. Afterall, It's what I'm paying for isn't it? A pipe! Don't go cheap on a meer.

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.