Looking for a good blend found in Canadian Convience Stores

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DanH, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanH

DanH Member

Hey Guys,

New to pipe smoking and wondering if anybody here is from Ontario, Canada and knows what some good tobacco's that we can find in a convience store, I am not in a big city and in my town there is nothing more then corner stores that sell pipe tobacco. In my intro post people recommended Carter Hall and SWR both of which I can't find in Barrie. Any ideas, I am also new so be gentle!

Thanks,
    Dan

2. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

You can find Brigham blends, which are pretty decent. I got some at the tobacco counter at Loblaw's. I think Amphora is also around. I haven't had much experience with buying in shops here because I usually order online, but you can find stuff. And you won't likely find the American "OTC" blends up here very easily. These ubiquitous blends that our brothers and sisters to the south like to recommend to noobs are not readily available up here, from what I've seen.

3. DanH

DanH Member

Ya I have seen both of those, was trying to find something with a little more aromatic flavour.

4. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Well, Brigham makes several aros. Vanilla Maple is pretty good (at least, I liked it). It was the first tobacco I picked up when I decided to really get into pipes properly last year.

5. 421eme

421eme Member

Try Brigham Muskoka or Solitude - they're yummy!

Tried some of both and I like it. Of course I also smoke Peterson's Sherlock Holmes and Conniseur's Choice - both really nice as well.

Barrie isn't too bad - just come down to Toronto for the day - lots of good shops to pick up some tobacco.

Cheers, Carl

Old Codger likes this.
  6. DanH

DanH Member

Carl,

What would be your recommendation for a new pipe smoker something mild but flavourful? Headed down to Toronto this weekend maybe I Can pick up something not readily available in Barrie, any suggestions on stores?

7. 421eme

421eme Member

Seeing as I'm new to pipe smoking as well - the brands I've mentioned have been shear pleasure taste wise for me. They're all sweet aromatics and not too overpowering. Peterson's Sherlock Holmes and Connoseur's Choice are my faves - mmm mmm good! LOL!

Store wise;
    These places are the ones I go to most:

Casablanca - Yonge and King - Just look for the Indian on the North West Corner - open Mon to Sat - Sat he's open till 7pm
    Smokin Cigar - 2 stores - One on Bayview south of Eglinton, other on Queen East - Beaches area east of Woodbine
    Victory Cigars out in Oshawa - Nice place and good selection of tobacco.
    Cheers Smoke Shop - Best prices in Toronto - Hands down! Only bug is he's only open Mon-Fri till 7pm
    There are other places - just do a Yelp search

Hope this helps bud.

All the best, Carl

Old Codger likes this.
  8. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

If you are downtown, you can hit Casablanca right at King and Yonge (on the northwest corner). That's my regular stop when I buy locally. A bit further north from there, in Yorkville, you could do a lot worse than to check out Thomas Hinds, who have a reputation for giving good advice on tobacco selection. I haven't been in there in a long time, but I should really head back there one of these days.

9. 421eme

421eme Member

They are nice - but their prices are out of this world expensive! Guess it's due to being right in one of the priciest neighbourhoods in Toronto - thats why I mentioned the other places and Cheer's especially if you can hit them during the week(they are on McCaul behind the hospital corridor of Princess Margaret and Mount Sinah). They are a hidden gem in Toronto and good to deal with - the cigar selection is especially good too.

I go there when I want to sample something new and don't want to pay an arm and a leg - LOL!

Cheers, Carl

10. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I'll have to take a walk up to Cheers one of these days at lunch, since it isn't all that far from the office (at least, when it isn't -20 out). And I'm not surprised TH is expensive, either. I guess maybe that's why I haven't put in the extra effort to head down there :D

11. DanH

DanH Member

Thanks guys for the advice I will try out some of the Brigham's I have the wild cherry already.

Thanks,
    Dan

12. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Brigham mrB chocolate. mac barens honey chocolate , mcclellands holyday spirit. You will find these in toronto im sure.

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've only been to Canada to buy beer ... you guys can make a brew , man ! Surely , you'd have to have A Maple flavored aro on your OTC market !?

David Emond likes this.
  14. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Brigham Vanilla Maple is pretty good.

15. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

why is it that in the states the beer is 0.5 alc and up here in Canada its 5.0 to 11% alc ? hehe

16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Brigham's MArk Twain is pretty mapley. The Royal Viking is a nice vanilla aromatic. Brigham's Own is also pretty tasty. Sweet as hell though.

jdto and David Emond like this.
  17. 421eme

421eme Member

Glad I could help dude!

All the talk about tobacco today got me craving some more for my stash, so I ran out and picked up a pouch of the Brigham's Solitude and Muskoka - gonna light up some next day or two.

Again, they were fabulous when I tried em out!

All the best, Carl

18. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

As a Canuck who has lived in the US for several years, I think I can say confidently that, today, American beer is head and shoulders above Canadian beer in terms of quality and diversity. The big breweries and that hideous Beer Store destroyed the micro-brew movement before it gathered much steam in Canada. In the US, on the other hand, there are hordes of delicious, small-production beers made by creative people.

David Emond likes this.
  19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Huh? I can name a half dozen top shelf micros off the top of my head, some totally local, a bunch out of B.C. Try some Okanogan Springs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.