Looking for a good Full English?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Beale, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

I am wanting to try a Full English blend. At my local B&M I can get.

Rattray
    McB
    McC
    Dunhill
    C&D
    Frog Morton
    Escudo

I have tried quite a lot of different Tobacco. I prefer a Good Full smoke without to much Pepper. Latakia is fine as is Navy's. I really am just wanting another one to try. Any suggestions from the above? Thanks Beale.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Try some 'My Mixture 965' if you can get the Dunnies:th1:
    OT

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

If they have C&D, I'm thinking they have GLP? Full English = Odyssey.

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

I tried 965 I thought it was very bland? As to GLP JR's does not have it? I am not sure why? Beale.

5. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I like the 965.

6. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Nightcap

Beale likes this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but they can GET it. I doubt it works exactly like it does with a wine shop, but if it works ANYTHING like it does with a wine shop special orders will be welcome. If they're concerned with some extra stuff just sitting around and not selling, they may request you commit to buy a certain amount of what they get in (I'm sure they can't order a single tin the way a wine shop can order a single bottle) but if it's a big company like JR and they have enough in stock to know they do a decent amount of business with pipe smokers, I shouldn't think it would be a problem to ask them to get some G.L. Pease in.

Ask! Worst case scenario, the circumstances in which they're willing to order it for you won't be favorable to you and you're out nothing because you don't have them order it. Best case scenario, something you want to try will become available for you to purchase locally!

Beale likes this.
  8. Beale

Beale Active Member

Good idea nesta! i will do just that!

Hey Sarge I love Nightcap! Beale.

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Dunhill's Standard Mixture is pretty good, though some may call it a 'medium' rather than a 'full.' Whatever it is, it's English through and through (well, except that it's not made in England anymore... :))

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I know my local tinderbox is willing to make special orders, but prefers to do that only if the customer is willing to buy about 50% of the order, because they do have some pipe smoking customers but deal almost exclusively in cigars and cigarettes (cigarette smokers simply aren't allowed to enjoy their purchases in store lol)

11. Albert

Albert Active Member

I found Peterson's Old Dublin to be a very full english. although I dont see peterson's on your list.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh, also, I don't know if JR carries it, but Balkan Sasieni is excellent, even if it is more of a medium or medium-full than a full.....but it is very high quality, and it's priced along the lines of a bulk even if it is tinned. If you need some other stuff, too, it might be worth the shipping cost for a tin of this and a few bulks, some cleaners, etc.?

Just lit a bowl myself. Delicious, in my opinion!

13. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

My benchmark English is Dunhill London Mixture. 965 is nice, but not an English, it is a Scottish, as it contains cavendish.

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Try Rattrays Red Rapparee, it's really tasty, but not as heavy as Nightcap, IMO. I just bought 2 more 100g tins from JRCigars.com.

Beale likes this.
  15. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

One of my favorites is C&D's Pirate Kake. Fair warning though it is a very full English.

Beale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.