looking for a good

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user3221, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3221

user3221 Active Member

I am looking for a straight forward no nonsense smoke
    maybe a flue cured leaf mixture that is light on the burley with maybe a touch of turkish or oriental
    with no to minimal flavoring additives

medium to strong on both the smoke producing a nicotine level

I would say that most here would probably consider this a boring smoke from a pipe

But I want to Taste the Tobacco not a sugar ball

i don't care if it is a plug twist or pre-cut

any suggestions?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Heres a few to think about . Sugar Barrel , IRC Private , IRC international , IRC Affinity or Walnut . These blends are more than light on the burley but are in the ballpark of what youre looking for . The IRC Private Blend is my favorite of those 5 blends

3. user3221

user3221 Active Member

and where do i find those?

4. furious

furious Junque collector

First thing that entered my mind was Walnut. Funny cause I havent smoked it in a long time!!

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

C & D Virginia Gentleman (Virginia/Burley/Turkish)

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Ya know what, I'm thinking you should try Carter Hall. I find it interesting, and very satisfying. Epiphany may be another good choice; as well as some of the Frogs. Good luck!

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Yezzir!

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Exactly the type of pipe tobacco that I crave. I generally just want a bowl of tobacco that tastes like a bowl of tobacco. If you're willing to negotiate on the Burley content, there are a ton of really straight-forward blends that just outstanding. As far as OTC's go that fit this bill, I'd recommend Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, Walnut, or Carter Hall. MacB Scottish Mixture, Golden Extra, or Burley London Blend are some very nice blends. If you don't mind a little Perique tossed in, try C&D Haunted Bookshop and Bayou Morning, McConnells Red Virginia, or Peterson Irish Oak. Add some Oriental? C&D Virginia Gentleman, MacB HH Arcadian Perique (yes, it has Perique too), or Pease Cairo,

9. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Thanks Guys for the suggestions - going to do some research on the suggested items

The OTC's such as SWR, CH, Granger seem to be a little too much sweetness for my liking

it don't really bother me as to what type of other tobacco's in the mix
    whereas the added flavoring is what i am trying to avoid

The Natural American Spirit Organic shag cigarette tobacco is what i am used to
    but tends to burn too quickly and too hot in a pipe

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Based on what I've read, if you aren't that bent on getting oriental in the mix, then some good choices would be Irish Flake, Dark Flake Unscented, Kendal Dark, or Five Brothers. Five Brothers and Kendal Dark can burn hot and fast if you push it, but smoke slowly and they'll burn cool and deliberately with tons of good flavor and a respectable, though certainly not especially impressive, burn time. Add Dark Birdseye to the list, actually. Another good choice. None of these are sweet, all are strong and tasty pipe tobaccos.

Either Old Joe Krantz or Haunted Bookshop might be good choices for you, too. They're both burley forward, but not the least bit sweet, and substantially more nicotine compared to OTC tobaccos. Despite being burley based, these share little to nothing in common with American drugstore blends.

If you really want some oriental leaf in the mix, try Dunhill's Nightcap. Only the tiniest amount of sweetness, it's perfectly balanced by the slight spice of perique, the moderate smokiness of latakia and a decent dose of oriental tobaccos. A fine English blend that actually has a good bit of strength and is not too sweet at all.

Rodfather likes this.
  11. Bman64

Bman64 Member

Peterson's University Flake has Vas with Burley....

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

user3221 likes this.
  13. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Thanks Everyone !
    now making my new TAD list

14. taharris

taharris Sales Account

Peterson's Irish Flake.

No BS, just tobacco flavor with a decent Nic. hit.

Todd

Bman64 and Rodfather like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.