1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Looking for a high quality briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by YOJiMBO20, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

One of my friends is turning 30 this year, and he told me that one thing he wants is a high quality briar. He was vague on what he wants. He said he wants a straight (he has all bent billiards and one straight billiard) or a churchwarden billiard.

I'm not quite sure where to start looking, or even what shape to look for.

I'm gonna try to pool money from a bunch of friends to get him something really nice, but need to figure out price range to shoot for.

Any suggestions of makers to look at or shapes to get him away from billiards?

-Jim

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Hi Jim. One option might be a Savinelli Black & White Favorite from Smokingpipes.com since your friend says he's interested in a churchwarden. While this pipe may not exactly qualify, it's close enough to give him an idea what a real churchwarden is like. Savinelli is a very reputable maker and the price is something you should be able to raise passing the hat.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Hi Jim

Check out The Briary for a large selection of quality pipes, tobacco & accessories in wide range of prices. I've bought most of my briar pipes from them, the staff is super knowledgable, helpful & friendly, and prices are decent too.

Let us know what you end up with!

Brad

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If he prefers billiards, why steer him away? Not that I think it's mean or anything, but if you surprise him with something way off the beaten path, like with an Eskimo or Pickaxe, he may just make it a high dollar wall hanger instead.

Then again, maybe something totally different would appeal to him...you would know better than I .

Assuming billiards are his comfort area, you could gently alter things a bit by choosing a Lovat or Canadian for him. Both are classics, quite similar to billiards, and are made by most carvers and companies.

Suggestions abound...it would be nice to know about how much you think you will be spending before throwing ideas out.

5. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Just reread my original post, he didn't specifically say that he wanted a billiard, churchwarden or otherwise. I meant to say that the one churchwarden that he has is a billy.

As for price, I'm thinking something around $200-300 (like I said, pooling money from quite a few people here).

6. jhe888

jhe888 Member

How about something similar to a billiard like a Canadian, lumberman or a lovat? Not too much of a departure, but still something a little difference.

7. BradNTX

How much time do you have before you give it to him?

8. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

July.

Just figured I'd start looking now. Especially since the thought of commissioning a piece by Sas has crossed my mind.

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

+100 You'd be hard pressed to find a better quality briar and being a custom job would be a great way to show your friend how highly he is regarded!

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

You know if Billiards are really his thing it might be appreciated by him if you stuck with the theme.

Sas made a superb natural Billiard for Bri2K recently that just about anyone would be proud to own and would seriously appreciate. The other thing about a SAS pipe is that you can really trust the engineering of the airways - on test I tried to make one gurgle and I honestly couldn't.

For a special birthday a custom made artisan pipe might just make it a day to remember,

Best to all,

Gerry

11. BradNTX

Just the reason that I asked. :D

I commissioned a Sas pipe and have really enjoyed it. I thought all the hoopla was a bit exaggerated, but I can testify that my Sas pipe does indeed smoke exceptionally well, is well crafted, no gurgle, and is finished beautifully. I'd buy another in a blink (and plan to).

12. slprl1

slprl1 Member

I would suggest to visit Cupojoes.com. They have a great pipe selection. In particular, I would suggest pipes from Peterson, Caminetto, Ser Jacopo, Butz Choquin, Savinelli, Ben Wade and Pipa Croci. They all are high quality and all offer the straight pipe. You can also call them and they will take all of the time you need to gide you. Good Luck!

13. Burner

Burner Member

The Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson range comes with a churchwarden stem and an ordinary one - not very billiardy though.

14. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Askwith, Pietenpauw, Tinsky, and many others will make you a hand made pipe to your specs in your price range. Would be more personal than a factory pipe in my opinion.

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Well, then I'll throw Castellos into the mix.
    An Italian briar is a thing of beauty! Plus,
    all my italians (except the Il Duca) are
    fantastic smokers.

If you go the Italian route, be sure to
    add a Danish tin of some sort. Danish's
    in Italians are a winning combo! :thumb:

dp

16. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Decided to go with the BeST and go for a BST. Came out better than I could have imagined.

The real question now is how am I supposed to keep this pipe in my house for another month without ever smoking it?!

17. BradNTX

:rolleyes:

18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I managed 2 weeks. But it was pretty close.

19. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Try Cup O Joe, and look under Peterson. The Sherlock Holmes series has some really nice pipes ($150ish to $200ish). So does the Kinsale line, which is a stipped-down Sherlock Holmes ($8oish to $100ish). Another thought is any Peterson pipe where the model number begins with the letter B. These are all uniquely Peterson pipes, where they're taken two or three different styles (say - frinstance - Acorn, Rhodesian, and Calabash) and melded them into something that is really different and very cool... but still has a whole lot of class.

20. BradNTX

Check out post # 16 above... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.