Looking for a nice quality Burley or Burley Blend -- Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by sorringowl, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a good quality Burley or Burley Blend, preferably something without cavendish or perique (too harsh for me).

The only burley I've really tried is C&D's Green River Vanilla, which is a good quality burley, but I'm kind of interested in tasting a quality burley on its own (without the aro) or a burley blend with any of these tobac's:
    latakia, virginia, kentucky, turkish, oriental, maryland.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated? Thanks, gentlemen. :thankyou:

2. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

I'm a HUGE fan of Hearth & Home's (pipesandtobacco.com) Classic Burley Kake. I am not a big Burley smoker, so I can't offer much comparison... Russ O. claims this is an "old-fashioned" blend... could be/don't know... :dunno:

... I just know I really like it.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Stockebye Cube-Cut, Solani Aged Burley Flake, Mac Baren Burley London Blend....

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Stonehaven, sir.

Smooth as silk, long, deep and dark - a mink-wrapped brick.

5. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Interesting Mr. Moo... I guess I sorta placed Stonehaven in the "English" camp...

but then again, Sorringowl does mention Lat as an leaf he would like to try in a blended Burley...

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Sorringowl said, "I'm looking for a good quality Burley or Burley Blend, preferably something without cavendish or perique (too harsh for me)."

Tobaccoreviews.com calls Stonehaven content burley over virginia, 'goose - no latakia - no english.

7. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Just goes to show I should read more carefully. I have an 8 oz bag of Stonehaven downstairs that I have not tried yet. I bought it because of the high "rating" ... and I was going by this quote... "A traditional English flake favored by experienced pipe smokers." ... which I now realize does not mean that it is an English Blend...

... I haven't tried it yet because I was working through some English Blends.... may have to open it up ... sounds even better to me now.

Thanks for setting me straight... I would have been surprised when I opened the bag :D

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Peterson's Irish Flake. Search over! You're welcome.

9. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Quality Burley = Prince Albert or Carter Hall

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Dear God am I the only guy that smokes MB Golden Extra ? I'd Reccomend it as a killer burley no doubt . Wessex burley slice is off the map as well . Skandinavik natural is pretty good as is Amphora Regular . MB Symphony is a burley based blend as well as norwood and Navy Flake [ which is an awesome blend ] And no doubt SWR and PA

12. Legend

Legend Member

All very good suggestions...especially the Classic Burley Cake...that stuff is killer! It blew me away. Burley London Blend is good too, and for Ruff's sanity I will say Golden Extra is GREAT as well!

13. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

I got to follow the advice of anyone that lives in a town/city called Lizard Lick....Gotta love the South..

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've tried a couple of Burley's and didn't care for them. I tried Solani ABF at the advice of several PSFers and I freakin' love it! I stocked up on 5 tins and smoke it several times per week in my Diplomat. Smell, taste, smokability... good stuff. :thumbsup:

15. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Wow, guys!
    Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Solani's ABF and P&C Classic Burley Kake sound especially interesting (along with all the others, really). :thumbsu:

16. user0003

PA the standard by which others are judged.

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jesla if you mention Prince Albert again in this thread I'll... I'll.. well, I dunno but it might be pretty messy!

18. user0003

PA...Prince Albert...

do your worst big boy... :D

19. hammer8

hammer8 Member

Try Uhle's in Milwaukee. Quality tobacco blended in house, plus great people to deal with. My favorites are Blend 300 and Perfection Plug Burley. Give them a call- they'll ship nationwide.

20. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I wasn't gonna go there, but the best burley comes straight off the farm...Ted, one of our esteemed members/growers, sent me some burley leaves off his farm. After deveining, drying, and cutting up the raw 'baccy, I had, and continue to have, one of the best smokes your bound to have in a bowl. I say this as someone who isn't thrilled much by burley normally. Not a help in considering a purchase, I know, but there ya go.

Actually, I wrote the above because like Sasquatch, I am sick of PA being harped on by Jesla! Give it a rest, jeez!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.