Looking for advice on picking a tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by s1mp13m4n, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

Hello everyone. I am a rather new pipe smoker and I have 4 pipes. One MM corncob, one Savanelli, and two custom made pipes which I got from this forum. I mainly have OTC pipe tobacco from my local smoke store as I can walk to it. I can not drive a car because of my eyes so going to the pipe tobacco store that is 15 min away by car is a bit hard.
    My favorite OTC pouch tobaccos are:
    Prince Albert (red pouch)
    Sir Walter Reighley (red pouch)
    Captain Black (white pouch)

I did not like some of the OTC flavored tobaccos that I tried because of tongue bite. I tried cherry, vanilla, and rum. I have access to pouches of the popular brands and some 8oz and 1lb bulk pipe tobacco products from this store. I need to replace my Captian Black white pouch, so what are your suggestions? I know that I can purchase online but I want to avoid the high shipping for just a few oz of tobacco.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You got some killer pipes man . When ya go to your smoke shop next time ask them to carry PA Soft Vanilla and give it a whirl . It's a nice aromtic that isnt overboard and I dont think anyone could get it to bite ! they already carry John Middleton products so it wont be a big deal to them for you to ask

3. ruffinogold

Dont know how I double posted . I'm the moron of the day :goodjob:

4. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

They do carry the PA vanilla in a pouch, but I have stayed away from it because I am not a fan of vanilla anything....ice cream, coffee creamer, etc, so I thought I may not like it. What about this 5100 "Red Cake" I read about (if they carry it)?

5. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

keep in mind some online sites the shipping isnt bad..... plus the little extra you pay is made up for by the selection

cheers

6. ruffinogold

Give the soft vanilla a try . its pretty damn good .the 5100 is a whole diff animal ..try that one big time cause it will give you insight into another realm of pipe tobacco compaired to what you listed as smoking before

7. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

Alright, which Online stores have a quality selection, good prices, and fair shipping? Also what should I try as far as tobacco?

8. raistlinsk

raistlinsk Member

Might I suggest Orlik Golden Sliced (OGS) great VA! Aurora and Great Outdoors are 2 other tobaccos I've been enjoying. Or some of the Lane stuff. Really nice price and great flavor. 1Q or BCA...can't go wrong with a plain black cavendish

9. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Some online retailers are: 4noggins.com, smokingpipes.com, and cupojoes.com

I like Sir Walter Raleigh occasionally myself, but others have said that Carter Hall, Half-n-Half, and Sugar Barrel are all better.

Keep an eye out for Erinmore Mixture. It has been around for ever and I always recommend it as an "upgrade" from Captain Black. I occasionally smoke the Captain Black Royal (blue package), though seldom the white, so my tastes may be way different from yours.

Now I'm thinking about smoking some Sir Walter Raleigh. See what you started?

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Marscigars.com has 5100 Red Cake going for $36.95/lb. You can get a couple of ounces for $7.95. They've also got lots of other blends at very competative prices.

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Can heartly recommend 4Noggins as a mail order supplier - Rich there is brilliant.

On the OTC front you might enjoy Captain Black Gold - slight touch of sweetness to it but not cloying; just smoke it slow ditto Lane's IQ.

Might also be worth seeing if Liam, (Dubhara) comes in here - he's working in the trade now and has some excellent knowledge.

Best to all,

Gerry

12. pottsy

pottsy Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.