1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Looking for info on two estate pipes - Kaywoodie and Carey

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by FlameOn, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Hi all-

Being relatively inexperience in the world of pipe smoking, I've picked up a few estate pipes ($10 each) and have been refinishing them with some it of success. I haven't smoked any of these yet.

The first one is a Carey Magic Inch, Rough briar. (I ordered more filters, why not?) The bottom is stamped "Carey Magic Inch", "Patent no" (I guess the number is worn off), and "Mediterranean briar". The square C logo is stamped on the top of the stem. Overall, it's in the best shape, no oxidization to speak of. I'm not sure of the age, any ideas? It also has a nice cake, but considering how old it is, I'm wondering if I should scrape it out, sweeten and restart.

The next is a Kaywoodie smooth straight briar. It was in terrible shape but as you can see it's coming along. It has the cloverleaf symbol on the top, "Kaywoodie Standard" on one side and "Made in England" and "07FB" on the other. Again, not sure of age. The rim is stained a lot and pocked a bit. I've been trying to gently get the black off the rim but I don't quite know hot to get the last of it off without damaging the surface. I've done one sweetening to it, now it's drying and I'll smoke it when it's ready.

I also picked up a new $5 "made in China" corn cob. They also had $20 Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs but I thought I might as well start at the bottom. It has no finish on it whatsoever. I took out the filter and cleaned up the bowl a bit.

That's it - everyone was so helpful for my last question I thought I'd drop some more!

[attachment=1045:P1020998.JPG]

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Your Carey pipe is from a private shoppe that have the patented air holes and filter system and they contrq=act their pipes out to manufacturers all over. Yours looks tto be from the 70's or 80's. They can be a very nice cool smoking pipe.

The Kaywoodie has been around since the 1930's and were once a very popular pipe in the US. They later became a drug store pipe. The older ones are great smokers. The way to tell if you have the old or new is the old ones had 4 digit model numbers and the new ones are 2 digit. The best way to tell is by the stinger. The older ones hae 4 holes and the newer ones have three.

The Chinese cob, I don't want to hurt your feelings but they are crap. The only decent cobs theses days are from Missouri Meershums and you can buy then online for $5-10 dollars most anywhere as well as pipe shops.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Strongirish is on the money with all three points.

E.A.Carey is still in business and in fact I'm in their Monthly Tobacco Club - google will find them easily for you. I've never tried one of their pipes simply because I never fancied anything like a filter in a pipe - but the Magic Inch has many followers who swear by it.

The original Carey invented the system pre WW2 but the pipes are indeed made by contracted out factories. Friends whose opinions I respect say they smoke well and many of the smooth finish models have a much better grain than you would expect for the price.

Happy smoking

Gerry

5. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

:)

Yeah, I know it's going to be crap - the local shop had a Missouri for $20 but I'm holding out for a better price. I figure I may as well try a really bad pipe so I know where the bottom of the range is.

I'm going to try them out this weekend - I'll report back!

6. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

I was in touch with them to order the filters - once it comes in I'll give it a smoke and let you know. thanks!

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Please do let us know how long/how many bowls it takes to break in the chinese cob... (to burn out the portion of the shank that is sticking out into the bowl.) Thanks!

8. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Will do. After one smoke the protruding piece of shank has blackened but not changed otherwise.

I gave it a try, it was OK. Not as bad as I thought. The near-weightless plastic stem was a little weird. I kind of regretted taking the paper filter out as I got bits of stuff in my mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.