1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Looking for info

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by buzz2none, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzz2none

buzz2none Member

I purchased a meerschaum pipe with a woven flexible stem (like a hookah) and was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the origin and the age of the pipe, within the decade.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Insufficient data, but I like the jacket it's resting on.

3. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

That is the weirdest thing i have seen in a while, but that being said, that is actually really cool lol. I know nothing about it but still, that is different than anything i have ever seen. Let us know how she smokes.

4. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Looks cool. I couldn't get the second link to work. Do you think the stem has been added after it was made? Love the look of it. Is the stem rigid? Looks like some kind of churchwarden varient......

Would love to hear how it smokes.
    Z

5. buzz2none

buzz2none Member

She smokes really nice, very cool. I should have posted a pic of the bowl in my hand it is very big! If you can't tell there is a etching on the front of the bowl that depicts two hunters with dogs and a large tree in the background. I bought this on ebay so whether the stem was added is in question. I am a civil war reenactor that is adamant about authenticity so I would like to know if this pipe is auhentic to take in the field. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I got this information from ,"Collecting Antique Meerschaum Pipes", by Ben Rapaport. Page 31, lower right corner, shows some diagrams of different meerschaum pipes. If I interpret the drawings correctly, your pipe shape is Hungarian, Kalmasch(German style). I then Googled "Kalmasch meerschaum" and saw some meerschaum pipes that have a similar shape as yours. Some look really expensive. All of them look really old.

Google "Kalmasch meerschaum" and see if you can get any more information. Good luck.

Be well
    Ol Brokedik.

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

The pipe is called an Ulm. Germanic in nature. The stem is suspect though. These usually had a wooden stem, often a cherry branch. Not sure about the tip either. The bowl looks to be quite old...maybe 19th C.
    As for re-enacting, do something about that stem and it's a good match for the era.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I concur on the Ulmer, 19th- or early 20th century appearance. Cool stem but if it's original (I doubt it but, who knows - it's a big world) I never saw anything like it.

Never heard the world "kalmasch" before. Sounds like hungarian for calabash. Whatever was Germany, Austria or Hungary in the 19th century was pretty hard to pin down.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Did a Google search...consensus seems to be that "kalmasch" means German or German-style.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'd go with a clay pipe instead of meerschaum for re-enacting the Civil War. The timing seems to be right but meerschaum was kind of expensive to take into battle. Clay was cheap and easily replaceable. The cutty shape was very popular during Civil War times.

11. buzz2none

buzz2none Member

I have a couple of clay pipes but they smoke a little too harsh and hot for my tastes. You are right about clay pipes being used in abundance because of the things you pointed out. I do a Confederate impression and there were men of means who joined as common soldiers in the South.

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in. The suggestions were of great benefit in learning more about my pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.