1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for some information on "Jobey"

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I had posted here recently that I recently got some pipes gifted to me. One of those was my Great Grand Fathers. I now have another little Yellow-Bowl that was his also that I cleaned up.
    ANYWHO--I also was given a pipe that my father purchased in 1976. It is a lilmited edition and numbered jobey that is covered in silver with the logo 1776-1976 on the front of the bowl. It is in its original box and is numbered. Its number 68 of who knows how many.
    Does anyone know any history of these pipes?
    I searched the web and info is scarce on most Jobey stuff due to the company changing hands through time.
    When I get time I will post pictures. I refurbed the pipe and it looks great--the draw is horrible and I intend to leave it alone.

2. Russell Hartman

3. Russell Hartman

Anyone even remotely know anything about these.
    This pipe was tarnished and filthy when I got it from my dad. I think I did pretty good on it. I did not take photos before I cleaned it all up

4. phinz

phinz Active Member

That's about all I got.

5. Russell Hartman

Thanks Phinz. I am curious as my father got it years ago at a local pipe shop thats long closed. He took fair care of it and put it away up until now. It took A LOT of elbow grease to get it back to decent condtion. They are serial numbered to boot.
    I just thought I would ask questions and share photos. I myself am not into metal and wood pipes like that but--hey it was my dads--so it means something to me.

6. Roger W

Roger W Member

Sorry I can't provide any information but that is awesome! That is definitely one I need to add to my must-have list, purely out of patriotic appeal!

7. Russell Hartman

Yeah--my pictures turned out fairly decent to show the pipe. I have to tell you that it was fun cleaning up. It brought back memories. I remember that my mother actually got that pipe as a gift for my father. He smoked it in Sundays and although his cleang regimin was not good the pipe cleaned up well. I had alot of work in polishing the metal without damaging the briar part of the pipe. I also wanted to be careful not to damage the serial number and the little "Jobey" emblem on top of the pipe stem.
    The stem screw into the mortise area and luckily I was able to separate the scre in part from the actual stem for deep cleaning and re-alignment to correct a crooked stem from my dad over tightening it. There was no damage to the threads or threaded mortise area--just lots of crud that good old "Ever Clear" and a massive amount of pipe cleaners, shank brushes and "Q" tips. My nest step is the cotton balls and "Ever Clear" in the bowl for a deeper cleaning. I won't use my retort as I want to have great control as not to damage the briar and metal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.